Mini Marathon (10k) in 14 weeks...

Options
I think I may have gone a touch mad in my head: I signed up for the above, it's on 4th June...

Anyone gone from not-runner to jogging 10k? Looking for all the tips and tricks in the book!!

I started last night, did about 4k in 30 minutes (walking and jogging mix), hoping to do that another 2 times or so before going up to 5k... is every 2nd day enough?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey Sch.

In January I signed up to a series of 3 runs, the first of which is TOMORROW AM! Scary. It's only an 8km, the second next month is 9km and then 10km in March. I have never run a race before, well not since school.

I was a moderate runner before but seriously lacking in stamina. Have been building up. Main focus has been on a perfect 5km route from my house - it's up and down hills so quite challenging - I can just about now complete 5km without a break to walk, and in a time of just under 30minutes.

If you are doing 4km in 30 mins you are doing very well as a start. 3 times a week is fantastic also, don't over do it and injure yourself is the most important thing. 14 weeks is plenty. Stick to the 4-5km and then throw the odd 7-8km in there after the first 2 months.

I have never done the C25K or Bridge to 10k but the later is probably really good idea for you.

Good luck (and wish me luck!)
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I went from no running to completing couch to 5k last march. Multiple 5k's later and my first 10k coming up april 22.
    You can do it, running rocks!!!
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If your body can take it up your progress by .5km each week on your long run. Should get you to 10k comfortably. Every other day is plenty.
  • easuess
    easuess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wrapping up Week 3 of Ease Into 10k, and I think it's great. It's slightly more gentle than the Bridge to 10k...but both would be very helpful for what you're trying to accomplish!

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-ease-into-10k/
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting into running... you'll be hooked & happy pretty quickly!! I find that Runners World is a great resource for running tips. Here's a 10k training plan from their website that may be helpful. Best of luck!!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-259-1117-0,00.html
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A mini-marathon to me is 5k...haha I am going to be running that in a few weeks. I am in the middle of training for it.

Good luck with your 10k...that is incredible. I don't think I have it in me to complete 5k let alone 10k!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Google couch to 5 k for an excellent beginners training regimine. I started running last June. I could not jog for more than 60 seconds at a 10 min/mile pace and now I can run 5k at that pace any day of the week. My max distance is up to 10.2 miles in a single run, aiming to do a 30 mile run the 3rd of May.

couch to 5k and a getting fitted for proper running shoes at a running store were the 2 things that helped me most.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • else57
    else57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    great job stepping out of your comfort zone. First I don't want to scare you but mini marathons are usually a 1/2 marathon or 13.1 miles. Double check the distance but take heart, I have been a running coach for the Team in Training program and have seen non runners complete a marathon after 4 months of training. The key for beginners is following a training schedule. Do not fly by the seat of your pants. You would not go on a long trip without your GPS or map so why start this journey without direction. I am a certified running coach by road runners of america and Team in Training. I offer affordable online coaching or go to somewhere like runners world.com to get help[. If you have any other questions contact me at mike@peakperformancerunner.com.

Best of Luck,

Mike Else, fort wayne IN
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!! Will definitely check out all the links and most definitely be back with questions that no doubt will arise!!!

It is a 10k race - I'm doing it for charity (which one still to be confirmed) http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/ <-that's the one I signed up for. You can chose to walk it, but I signed up as a jogger (casual, not the ones who need a qualifying time!)

Gotta run (haha) and make the kids' dinner now, will let you all know how training goes!!! Love the support already! Thanks guys!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hey Sch.

In January I signed up to a series of 3 runs, the first of which is TOMORROW AM! Scary. It's only an 8km, the second next month is 9km and then 10km in March. I have never run a race before, well not since school.

I was a moderate runner before but seriously lacking in stamina. Have been building up. Main focus has been on a perfect 5km route from my house - it's up and down hills so quite challenging - I can just about now complete 5km without a break to walk, and in a time of just under 30minutes.

If you are doing 4km in 30 mins you are doing very well as a start. 3 times a week is fantastic also, don't over do it and injure yourself is the most important thing. 14 weeks is plenty. Stick to the 4-5km and then throw the odd 7-8km in there after the first 2 months.

I have never done the C25K or Bridge to 10k but the later is probably really good idea for you.

Good luck (and wish me luck!)
    How did you get on with the run today? Hope it went really well!!!! (or, is stil/will be going well, not sure where you are haha!)
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have only been running or I should say trying to run for the last month or two and most of that was on a treadmill with a few runs outside but find it easy on a treadmill because it runs for you and all you need do is move your legs were as running on the track/road/street you have to move yourslef and last week I did a thing called parkrun its only 5k and did it in 30 min's and I think thats good for me but it was good because I was at the front and when you have everyone behind you gatting ready to start you have to move fast but will be doing it when I am not working as it was fun and a good way to keep fit but you dont have to go fast if your not upto it you can go at your own pace and the couch to 5k is a good way to work into the runs so give it a go and se for yourslef