Juicing

Options
I am really bad at eating veggies other than salads and those of you that have seen my diary know that I have ranch on those :smile: . I did get low fat ranch today for my salads, but none the less, I still need a little variety in my life.

A few years ago my hubby got me a juicer for Mother's Day and I use it every spring and summer for different kinds of fruits, especially oranges. Well, I'm ready to dig it out again and I want to know what you all think about it and what the best vegetables are to juice. It really seems to give me more energy when I juice, and I can drink my veggies easier than I can eat them... especially if it’s a Bloody Mary. . ha-ha kidding. :bigsmile: Seriously though, I've heard that you don’t get as much fiber this way. Is this true? What if it's only once or twice a day?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You're removing the bulk of the produce and leaving the juice, so yes you would be getting less fiber than if you were to eat it whole.
  • schifdy
    Options
    I juice kale, spinish, cucumber, celery, red peppers along with a slice of lemon and some cinnamon in my Blendtec. I am able to keep all of the fiber unlike my Jack La Lanne's juicer which I never use (hated the clean up) My Blendtec is my new best friend for getting my veggie's. I have always hated vegetables and now am able to drink them. I also can eat some if I bake them.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Came in to see something about roids.

Comes out its a real juice:D
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Lol you thought the same thing too! I've been spending too much time on Bodybuilding and T-Nation.
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been totally off track on eating healthy for about a month now. I watched a movie on net flicks called "fat sick and nearly dead" It is about people changing their lives by juicing. I am going to give it a try hopefully it will get me back on track. I love all fruits and vegetables but I love all kinds of junk too. If you go to fatsickandnearlydead.com there is a link that walks you though step by step how to get started. There is a quiz to determine which juice fast is right for you and lots of recipes. I found it to be very informative since I didn't know a thing about juicing before going there. Also, many of the plans let you eat veggies too if you just have to chew, an other lets you have dinner. The documentary is about Joe Cross and he has a fan page on facebook. If you go to his facebook page it is really more of a support group for people that juice. I am on a 5 day getting ready to juice clean. Rather than just diving straight into juiceing it gives you step by step instructions on what to cut out of your diet before starting to juice. I hope to juice for 10 days and I am hoping after those 10 days I will love it so much that I will want to continue for an other 10 but I will just have to wait and see.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OMG. While I had soem down time I picked up a book called Crazy Sexy Diet. It made me come home, and shop for a juicer for Christmas!! My hubby bought me the Omega Nutrition Center 8006. He has been jelous every since it showed up, because I have a love affair with my juicer. It sounded weird at first, but I looove love making juice. I have been doing one lately with kale, green apple, cucumber, parsley, a little spinach, some celery... and I even threw in broccolii and asparagus scraps. The juicer I found on amazon came with a wheatgrass kit and 2 books too! So far I've only made one juice I didn't like! It's my new obsession... and the best part is, I can tell a marked difference in how I feel now that I've been juicing. i've kicked a lot of my caffiene habit... and my labs came back from my doctor, and I whooped *kitten*! :) I cant say enough about it. I <3 juicing!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This^ lol
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Some really interesting info on here! I am planning on a juice fast in spring, waiting for more and a bit cheaper organic fruits and veggies...
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Interesting fact about drinking juice you make yourself from raw fruit and veggies. When eating whole fruits and vegetables, you lose some of the nutrients from them in the digestion process. However, when you drink the juice after running the same fruits and vegetables through a juicer, you actually absorb more nutrients, and absorb them quickly! This is because the body doesn't really need to digest the juice, so it heads straight to the small intestine where nutrients are absorbed. And, because this is a quicker process than digesting the food, this is part of the reason you get increased energy from juice. So, yes, less fiber...but more vitamins are actually getting absorbed. :)

That said, I also enjoy juice in the spring/summer months, when there is a better selection of fruits and vegetables in season. I usually try to watch the sugar content, however; so I don't drink too much juice. My favorite is a recipe I got from my favorite juice bar as the guy was going out of business (the place wasn't bad, just a bad location when they put in the freeway...hardly anyone passed in front of his place, and thus, weren't drawn in). It involves, spinach, cilantro, and garlic...along with various other fruit and vegetables. It is an acquired taste...when I first read what was in it I wasn't so sure about it. But after drinking it a few times, I was hooked! And, the juice is better than any energy drink I've ever had! One serving, and I'm just about bouncing off the walls!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you map out a good PCT before you hope on the gear bro.
  • 139pilotwife
    139pilotwife Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way not a big veggie eater so I too was looking for ways to increase my vegetables intake during my weight loss journey. I got hooked on the Green Smoothie kick. I use a Ninja blender to throw in my greens along with some fruit & water. I make a batch in the morning to have throughout the day.

Hooked on Green Smoothies!