Weight Lifting while Losing Weight - Yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• yag1630
    Options
    BIG Yes for me!
    Cardio and lift weights helps.
  • gagey1
    Options
    My doctor suggested that in the beginning concentrate the most on cardio than slowly add weights but make sure to keep the weights light and do more reps so you do not bulk up:smile:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights (heavy ones) at least 3x a week while you're in the process of losing weight will help improve your body composition. Weight loss through a combination of diet and cardio, or cardio alone, will result in a certain amount of muscle loss. It's inevitable. By lifting weights while you lose you can help offset this muscle loss.

Also, make sure your protein consumption is increased. It should be 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass (eg. I weigh 145 lbs with a body fat % of 23% so my lean body mass is approx. 112lbs, which means I'll try to consume at least 112 grams of protein per day).
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested that in the beginning concentrate the most on cardio than slowly add weights but make sure to keep the weights light and do more reps so you do not bulk up:smile:

Sorry, but this is nonsense. You do not need to fear bulking up if you're eating at a deficit. Bulking is a deliberate process used by body builders to gain mass. It requires eating a *kitten* ton of food and lifting very heavy weights. I can assure you that this won't happen to any woman who wants to lift heavy. Physiologically speaking it's practically impossible.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, do both, from the beginning. I have lost 130 pounds so far, and the ONE thing that I wish I had done differently would be strength training. I didn't start from the beginning, and it is very hard to change that habit, at least for me. I know that my body would be in so much better shape, had I done strength training regularly.

Totally agree!!
  • kjeldredge
    Options
    Lifting weights will increase your muscle mass, so the number on the scale may not go down as quickly (or may actually go up slightly; muscle is denser then fat and it takes up less space in the body but weighs more), but it's still more beneficial than cardio alone because more muscle means an increase in metabolism. Therefore, the more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn during your future workouts and even at rest. Even if the number on the scale doesn't drop drastically from strength training your body will become noticibly toned and your clothes will probably start to fit better! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sorry, but this is nonsense. You do not need to fear bulking up if you're eating at a deficit. Bulking is a deliberate process used by body builders to gain mass. It requires eating a *kitten* ton of food and lifting very heavy weights. I can assure you that this won't happen to any woman who wants to lift heavy. Physiologically speaking it's practically impossible.

+1 Bodybuilders (male & female) spend hours each day at the gym to achieve their physiques.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes. 100%. :flowerforyou:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

+1 Bodybuilders (male & female) spend hours each day at the gym to achieve their physiques.

Most of the BBers I know don't spend hours in the gym each day. They do spend lots of money on drugs though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift. As heavy as you can.Throw your scale away. Lift some more. Go buy smaller pants. The end :)

I like it!! :happy: :happy:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's not essential but it can help. More muscle means your body becomes more and more of a calorie furnace.

I personally lost all my weight so far without doing much strength training. Occasional yoga & free weight work, but nothing serious. Now I'm starting to focus more on toning.

Keep in mind that if you're doing weights, you will likely need to manually edit your goals here on MFP because the daily calorie and protein numbers are probably a bit low.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training should be incorporated at the same time as cardio. If you do the Body For Life Method You are doing 3 days of weights and 3 of cardio. I have friends that do 2 days weights and 2-3 days cardio and see great results.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Very true! Even men who are eating in a deficit have trouble bulking up and they have testosterone on thier side. Without excess calories your body will not usually build muscle tissue. As a woman, you would have a hard time getting bulky even if you wanted to. While in calorie deficit is is nearly impossible. Lift once or twice a week working different areas of your body. 3 times if you are recovered enough and you are young enough to bounce back quick. You'll be glad you did!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes! Not only will you see more results faster (even if the scale does nothing), you'll burn more calories on your off days, and improve your endurance with the strength training. Oh and it will help with all kinds of little things in daily life: lifting, balancing, etc. It is win win.

Make sure that you strength train to muscle fatugue to get the best results. You want to make sure the last rep you do is hard.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Very true! Even men who are eating in a deficit have trouble bulking up and they have testosterone on thier side. Without excess calories your body will not usually build muscle tissue. As a woman, you would have a hard time getting bulky even if you wanted to. While in calorie deficit is is nearly impossible. Lift once or twice a week working different areas of your body. 3 times if you are recovered enough and you are young enough to bounce back quick. You'll be glad you did!

So if you don't "bulk up" how does your body become the "calorie furnace" that everyone is promising??

Hmm..... (hint: it doesn't)

But the weights are still essential, even if the "increased metabolism" claims are significantly overstated.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

^ Fail!
    No offense! But, honestly, your doctor is probably a general practitioner that has spent minimal time studying fitness and nutrition. Your Doctor has outdated views and shouldn't dish out advice in matters that he/she knows very little of.
    Both parts of his/her suggestion are false!