Eugh, how to get rid of the dreaded muffin top?

Options
I can deal with the tummy bit but how the hell do I exercise the roll of fat at the back at my waist line?

Replies

• MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You do a lot of spinning. Could you ditch some of the spinning and do some abs work. Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack is supposed to be gREAT. I haven't got it by the way.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

This is what I was going to say. :)

The answer is that you can't spot reduce. The only way to lose the muffin top is through diet and exercise. Your body will lose fat wherever your body is genetically inclined to lose fat. It will eventually reach the spot you're concerned about, but you can't control when.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    finding pants that fit correctly will reduce a muffin top, but to get rid of the fat you need to be in a caloric deficit to do this. You cannot target fat loss so cardio and ab work will not do much, unless you need cardio to get into a caloric deficit (MFP puts you in one with no exercise if you follow MFP caloric intake). And just give it time.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    simple, MOVE!!!! burn calories, there is no secret! good luck
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot target areas.
  • knurse007
    knurse007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs and most of my muffin tops. still have away to go
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

The answer is that you can't spot reduce. The only way to lose the muffin top is through diet and exercise. Your body will lose fat wherever your body is genetically inclined to lose fat. It will eventually reach the spot you're concerned about, but you can't control when.

Bigger jeans was gonna be what i said, but thought everyone would think i was a b*tch! If you have the right size of pants and ones that fit you correctly you will never ever have a muffin top ;)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

This^^^ I see very young thin girls walking around with muffin top simply because their clothes are ill fitting.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Can't spot reduce but cardio will help.
    I also like the idea of bigger pants lol.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Stop eating muffins. I hear it works pretty well, although I couldn't say from experience ;)
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also really like Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your carbs. Rice, white bread, potatos. Avoid em. Give yourself a couple months. Replace with veggies (which are a form of carbs, so don't worry).
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

For those who have had a baby and have that muffin top regardless of tight jeans!?!?!?!?! NO....we have to buy granny jeans that go up to our belly buttons!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this might sound weird, but some of my coworkers either wear maternity pants, with the panel made of knit material at the top, or wear those knit bands that you wear over regular pants to make the maternity pants, and they credit them for their svelte look, because the knit material kind of slims them and gives their little bit of flab some support. i've considered trying it myself.

usually i try to get pants that come up higher -- like, to my natural waist. but i'm always astounded at how hard these can be to find, in this world of low-cut and "hipster" pants. ("hysterectomy pants, i call them!", to throw a quote from the movie Crybaby in there!)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. There is no secret exercise. I used to have this problem (if jeans fit my backside, I had a muffin top), but now it's almost gone.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

Bigger jeans was gonna be what i said, but thought everyone would think i was a b*tch! If you have the right size of pants and ones that fit you correctly you will never ever have a muffin top ;)

agreed, buy pants that actually fit, and then when you get your bf% down thereby reducing your waist size wear the ones you have now. I had to learn along the way that just because you can lay down on the bed on your back, get them up, suck it in, and get the zipper up with pliers does not indicate that they are actually my size. If they honestly "fit everywhere else" then you're wearing the wrong cut of pants.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner CORE and ABS workouts - awe sum!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

For those who have had a baby and have that muffin top regardless of tight jeans!?!?!?!?! NO....we have to buy granny jeans that go up to our belly buttons!

I've had a baby, and stick by my post, lower bf = less muffin top in properly fitting pants. that's the nice thing about jeans lines carrying all sorts of different cuts from the boyfriend, to the skinny, to the curvy, "mom jeans" are no longer a necessity.
  • Lynda4aska
    Options
    or buy bigger jeans? ;-)

This^^^ I see very young thin girls walking around with muffin top simply because their clothes are ill fitting.

me too - one even lives in my house, but heaven forbid she move from a size 0/1 to a 2/3 !!! give me a break !!
    then on the opposite end, her sister is big, and refuses to think she should lose weight - wat 'til she has kids !!