10 Reasons why you should not have a cheat day... hmmm

Options
1. Feeding the Junk Food Addiction

I believe that junk food addiction is real, and that many people can not succeed in eating healthy because of it. Having a cheat meal every week basically feeds that addiction, and may lead to full-blown relapse.

Now, you wouldn’t tell a nicotine addict only to have cigarettes on Saturdays?

2. Doesn’t help reduce cravings

This is kind of similar to tip 1 above. If you are physically or psychologically dependant on something, having it every now and then will not reduce cravings, but actually keep them coming back again and again.

3. Eating way too much

It is common when people cheat, that they completely lose control and destroy a week’s worth of dieting. I might be unusual, but I’ve eaten 5000 calories in a single meal. That’s TWO DAYS of calories.

4. Guilt afterwards

After doing really well on a diet for a few days, it can cause a lot of guilt to have that cheat meal, unless maybe if the person manages to keep self control and not completely overeat.

5. Doesn’t raise your metabolism

I’ve read it countless times that eating a cheat meal will raise metabolism and should therefore help with weight loss. I haven’t seen any evidence to support this and I don’t really believe in it.

Also, do you think that when scientists are doing research studies on diet plans, that they allow people to cheat once per week? Of course not!

6. Junk food is unhealthy

Junk food is unhealthy. That is probably the reason why you quit eating it in the first place (duh). Having it once a week is clearly worse than having none at all.

7. Some things take a while to leave your system

There are many nasty things in junk food, such as trans fats. They can take a long time to disappear from your system, and if you keep eating them every now and then, they will never completely leave your body.

8. Taste sensation doesn’t manage to adapt

When you stop eating junk food, one of the things that happens is that with time your taste sensation adapts, and food that isn’t overly processed starts to taste good. Cheating once a week interrupts this.

9. Body doesn’t manage to adapt to the new fuel

When changing the diet, one thing the body does is ramp up enzyme production in order to start using a different fuel. This is especially important for eating plans that don’t allow sugar and grains.

If you keep cheating once in a while, the adaptation won’t fully complete.

10. Knowing that cheating is not an option makes things easier

Trust me on this.. when a cheat meal is not an option, it makes sticking to a diet much, much, much easier.

Anything else?

If your cheat days/meals have been causing you problems, or downright preventing you from being successful in the long-term, then these tips above should really do you good.

After all, what we should be after is not try to go on a “diet”, but to actually make a lifestyle change in order to live a healthier, happier life.

If there are any other reasons you can think of why not to have a cheat meal, or reasons why you believe cheat meals are essential, please post them in the comments section below.

(BTW I DID NOT RIGHT THIS ARTICLE...just found it intresting since "the cheat day" controversy is big)

Replies

• DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I believe that junk food addiction is real, and that many people can not succeed in eating healthy because of it. Having a cheat meal every week basically feeds that addiction, and may lead to full-blown relapse.

You believing it doesn't make it so.

This is kind of similar to tip 1 above. If you are physically or psychologically dependant on something, having it every now and then will not reduce cravings, but actually keep them coming back again and again.

Disagree. I incorporated a weekly cheat day in my weight loss protocol. As I've stated elsewhere, by having it, I had no cravings/thoughts/compliance issues for about four days afterwards; the next two days were easy to get through with the thought of the upcoming cheat day.
    3. Eating way too much

It is common when people cheat, that they completely lose control and destroy a week’s worth of dieting. I might be unusual, but I’ve eaten 5000 calories in a single meal. That’s TWO DAYS of calories.

There can be truth to that, but it doesn't have to be that outrageous. Also, I now incorporate (at least) one IF day which helps counterbalance that.
    4. Guilt afterwards

After doing really well on a diet for a few days, it can cause a lot of guilt to have that cheat meal, unless maybe if the person manages to keep self control and not completely overeat.

Can it? Sure. Not for me. Food is wonderful, and I don't feel guilty about the occasional cheat when my overall performance is fine.

I’ve read it countless times that eating a cheat meal will raise metabolism and should therefore help with weight loss. I haven’t seen any evidence to support this and I don’t really believe in it.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one, but it doesn't matter for me.

Junk food is unhealthy. That is probably the reason why you quit eating it in the first place (duh). Having it once a week is clearly worse than having none at all.

"Unhealthy" is a charged word, and isn't a binary thing. If all your other factors are properly aligned, having a cheat isn't going to have any significant impact on your profile. And having a cheat may improve compliance with the overall program.

There are many nasty things in junk food, such as trans fats. They can take a long time to disappear from your system, and if you keep eating them every now and then, they will never completely leave your body.

{shrug} Not concerned.

When you stop eating junk food, one of the things that happens is that with time your taste sensation adapts, and food that isn’t overly processed starts to taste good. Cheating once a week interrupts this.

Maybe for some; not for me.

When changing the diet, one thing the body does is ramp up enzyme production in order to start using a different fuel. This is especially important for eating plans that don’t allow sugar and grains.

Sounds rather speculative.

Trust me on this.. when a cheat meal is not an option, it makes sticking to a diet much, much, much easier.

For some, yes, for others, no.

In short, it's a behavioral issue. If it works for you, great. For some, using them works better.
    After all, what we should be after is not try to go on a “diet”, but to actually make a lifestyle change in order to live a healthier, happier life.

Agree.

But the thought of no ice cream, no pizza, etc. for the rest of your life isn't appealing to many.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    While I understand the reasoning, I'm sorry. I'm not going to sit here and say "never again in my life will I have the Queso Especial from Trudy's or greasy cheesy pizza." I'll eat what I want, when I want, in moderation.

Sure, junk food is bad for you....if you eat it all the time! Matter of fact, I'm going to Buffalo Wild Wings tomorrow night and I'm having a beer and some hot wings. And it's going to be awesome...AFTER I get a good long run in :)
  • While I understand the reasoning, I'm sorry. I'm not going to sit here and say "never again in my life will I have the Queso Especial from Trudy's or greasy cheesy pizza." I'll eat what I want, when I want, in moderation.

Sure, junk food is bad for you....if you eat it all the time! Matter of fact, I'm going to Buffalo Wild Wings tomorrow night and I'm having a beer and some hot wings. And it's going to be awesome...AFTER I get a good long run in :)

It's all about balance, plus I try to work in some cheat meals during the week but I usually try to stay close to my calorie allowance. Or I really really eat well before I cheat and workout after. Feeling guilty after eating could lead to disordered eating or a full fledged eating disorder.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    While I understand the reasoning, I'm sorry. I'm not going to sit here and say "never again in my life will I have the Queso Especial from Trudy's or greasy cheesy pizza." I'll eat what I want, when I want, in moderation.

This!! And the post above this....It's a lifestyle, and if it works for you, keep doing it....

I really don't get people who feel "guilty" over eating pizza or ice cream....I'm a law enforcement officer, and I can assure you, unless you stole the pizza and ice cream, or grabbed some candy from a toddler, there is absolutely nor reason to feel guilty about it! :laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree with the two above posters. (Meredith & DL)
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with DL.

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule. I modify that to 90/10 even when I'm not trying to lose weight. Why punish yourself continually by never ever allowing yourself a bit of what you fancy?

Food isn't an insurgent monster to be controlled. Dont' foster the idea that it will 'win' and get the better of you if you allow it in the back door, dykwim? you can control how much 'treat' you have. you can decide that you deserve a small treat and you can have that small treat and then carry on being healthy.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Not sure who wrote this article but THEY are lying if they say they NEVER have some type junk food. Even if you don't have a full cheat day but enjoy a slice of cake at a bday party, it's cheating. I'm not depriving myself of anything. I know when to stop and I know how important exercising is. Life is too short to not enjoy yourself sometimes. Also, comparing food to cigarettes, horrible combination. Smoking, whether once a week or daily, can still lead to cancer or other health conditions. A slice of cake once a week, I'm sure we'll be fine. Just my opinion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would classify myself in the "everything in moderation" group, so I didn't always do a cheat day. Right now, however, I am on a very restricted diet so I have had a chance to experience this first hand. I basically eat what is on my diet and nothing else. I did get a "cheat day" once a week, now I am on a "Cheat meal" every two weeks. I have learned a lot about myself and my relationship with food. I don't find that this article holds true *for me*.
    I also strongly believe cheat meals/days is an extremely personal thing. There is no right or wrong.

I think that different people have different relationships with food. For some, yes this is exactly true. For others, food isn't the same addiction. I don't feel physically addicted to food like I was to nicotine. People debate whether you can even be physically addicted to food, you can be with nicotine. For some, this works. For others, not so much.

Personally, I can have a cheat day and get right back to it the next. This isnt' an issue for me.

Again, I am not physically or psychologically dependent on food so this doesn't apply. I do find that when I have a craving, I can put it off knowing that I can have it on my cheat day. Sometimes by then, my craving has passed, other times it hasn't. I find this actually works better for me then giving into cravings whenever.
    3. Eating way too much

Yes, but that is up to the individual.
    4. Guilt afterwards

I work HARD. I earn my cheat day all week. I have no guilt whatsoever. I don't even log them.

I haven't looked into it. It isn't my goal with a cheat anyway.

That is assuming all the food you "cheat" with is unhealthy. High calories food is not necessarily unhealthy or "bad" for you. Tomorrow, my cheat meal is going to be a pasta dish from my favorite Italian restaurant. The food is made from who ingredients, from scratch. Nothing I consider to be "bad", but when all prepared in one dish, it can pack in the calories.

Same point as above. And I don't really get this anyway, what doesn't leave our system. There are plenty of "healthy" "diet" foods people eat that have crap in them.

This is my biggest disagreement. I have completely changed what I crave. When I first started my cheat days, i would go to McDonalds/Wendys' / Burger King, whatever. Now, they aren't even on my radar. Having only so much I can eat on one day or one meal, I have really prioritized what I like and want. I have a stronger appreciation for food and these simply don't appeal to me anymore. They just don't satisfy me like they once did. I think this has been one of my biggest successes since these foods were once things I would "need" to have on a regular basis.

Food is fuel. Your body breaks it down all the same. I don't agree with this at all.

I already talked about this. There is no way I would cut certain foods out of my life completely but I do see a benefit in limiting them. To me, "cheating" is a way to do that.
  • mauretta1980
    mauretta1980 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont have a cheat day i try to be strong...But thats me !!!!!!! i still enjoy eating healthy foods. :smile:

3. Eating way too much

4. Guilt afterwards

Also, do you think that when scientists are doing research studies on diet plans, that they allow people to cheat once per week? Of course not!

Anything else?

If your cheat days/meals have been causing you problems, or downright preventing you from being successful in the long-term, then these tips above should really do you good.

If there are any other reasons you can think of why not to have a cheat meal, or reasons why you believe cheat meals are essential, please post them in the comments section below.

(BTW I DID NOT RIGHT THIS ARTICLE...just found it intresting since "the cheat day" controversy is big)
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit of that depends on what you mean by a "cheat day." My cheat days don't (usually!) involve over-processed fatty foods, but I may eat more carbs and calories in general of things that are good for me, like homemade oatmeal pancakes or muffins.

I pretty much follow the 90/10 rule: if 90% of what you put into your body is good, the other 10% is negligible. Within reason, of course. Not everybody is addicted to "junk food."
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    cravings don't just come from addiction sometimes they are your body's way of saying you need something. like getting thirsty or pregnant women eating odd things. adding "cheats" in my diet keeps me on track and makes me think consciously about the other food choices I make that day and through the week. I don't expect I can give up eating out for the rest of my life so I have to find a way to balance things and your 10 reasons aren't really all that valid when compared to the alternative of telling family or co-workers "no sorry I can't go out to eat with you because that would be cheating." I'd rather go be social, cheat a little and just make sure I don't make a habit out of it.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    I agree with this article. for me at least, I need to CUT IT ALL OUT. If I don't then it's too easy to go overboard. It makes it easier for me b/c the lure to eat what I shouldn't can be squished with a simple 'it's not an option'
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options

You believing it doesn't make it so.

Disagree. I incorporated a weekly cheat day in my weight loss protocol. As I've stated elsewhere, by having it, I had no cravings/thoughts/compliance issues for about four days afterwards; the next two days were easy to get through with the thought of the upcoming cheat day.
    3. Eating way too much

There can be truth to that, but it doesn't have to be that outrageous. Also, I now incorporate (at least) one IF day which helps counterbalance that.
    4. Guilt afterwards

Can it? Sure. Not for me. Food is wonderful, and I don't feel guilty about the occasional cheat when my overall performance is fine.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one, but it doesn't matter for me.

"Unhealthy" is a charged word, and isn't a binary thing. If all your other factors are properly aligned, having a cheat isn't going to have any significant impact on your profile. And having a cheat may improve compliance with the overall program.

{shrug} Not concerned.

Maybe for some; not for me.

Sounds rather speculative.

For some, yes, for others, no.

In short, it's a behavioral issue. If it works for you, great. For some, using them works better.

Agree.

But the thought of no ice cream, no pizza, etc. for the rest of your life isn't appealing to many.

This^^^
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in cheat days either, but i do believe in high cal days. like if im doing 1000-1200cals a day and have platued i might have an 1800cal day to jump start things. but staying healthy. like having an omelete, not a fast food burger.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Also what does that mean when you have a birthday? or anniversary?! etc? Here kids or hubby enjoy your carrot sticks!! I mean come on! I will make the cake, lick the batter or have a piece.. just in moderation. lost weight and got in real good shape once like that before.. will again! :-) its a preference thing
  • amyruben
    amyruben Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always have a cheat day, but stay under my calorie limits. My cheat days usually consist of Starbuck or ice cream and I don't work out. For me, that's enough!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree, but I know myself pretty well. I have never been one to eat until I was stuffed silly. I just can't do it. I feel absolutely horrible (and I probably have an irrational fear of nausea, so I avoid anything that could possibly cause it like the plague.). Even on Thanksgiving. I eat a bit more than I do on a regular day. Although my snacks transform from fruits and yogurt to cake and pie. :P

I have set up having 3 cheat meals from Friday to Sunday. I may not actually do it, but I give myself a little break.
    This means a cheat breakfast and 2 cheat dinners (or happy hour).

I find that actually, I can't really eat more than 650 calories at a single sitting anymore. I am just way to stuffed. I probably could eat a little more before, before I started focusing on my eating. But that was probably about 1000 calories over 2-3 hours.

So for me, these days, havig a cheat meal = having ~200 calories more than normal. Entirely reasonable and something that fits in my calorie goals or really close. You have to find your own balance, and ways to consume your treats in moderation and the proper portions. You can definitely have everything, just budget accordingly.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to (and sometimes I do) I could hit my macros eating so-called "unhealthy" junk foods. Bottom line, don't deprive yourself and don't feel superior while you're depriving yourself. Cheers :drinker:
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see why there is any "controversy" at all.

If not having a cheat day works for you, and it doesn't bother you to eat within the box for an indefinite amount of time, then don't have one.

But, if a cheat helps you to stay on track for the rest of the week and doesn't doesn't hurt your overall fitness goals, then do have one. If it will help you stay on course, then a little bit of junk food is far healthier than obesity.

There are successful fit people on both sides of the fence. Why don't we keep both options available so that people can see what works for them personally?
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't really care, i could probably come up with "ten reasons not to eat clean", or "ten reasons not to get in shape" there is probably ten reasons why you should not do anything, it is all opinion., it is controversial, but i listen to my body, and it needs to cheat every once in a while. life is too short to constantly be stressed over what you are eating, just be smart and everything in moderation, I enjoy my cheat meal every week, and it puts my mental health back on track, if i stuck to my diet every minute of every day i would probably murder someone, for me it has nothing to do with physical results when it comes to my cheat meal, it just puts my mind at ease and helps me start new on my diet for that week, i never feel guilty and i never over do it, my cheat meals usually consist of a yummy dessert or an evening out with the hubby. it is ok to live life while getting healthy, otherwise you will push yourself too much and end up splurging.