X-Box 360 w/ Kinex vs Elliptical.. .Input

Options
I am wanting to add cardio workouts to my weight loss I am tossing around 2 options and would like input...

Back ground: I am out of shape and am trying to quit smoking... I don't have time to go to a gym and get the quality of workouts that I want... I have budgeted $350-400 to do this ... Not much of a gamer but seems like the XBox idea would be fun...

What I am thinking..
1) Getting a Golds Gym 410 elliptical $387 at Walmart.. work out 30 min a day ... mostly cardio...(negative: same thing all the time) (Positive: gets heart rate up quickly and keeps it up)
2) Getting an X-Box 360 with Kinex with a couple of work out game ( Dance Revolution, Zumba, Biggest Losser) ..Cardio and body...( Positive: variety)

I would like to find out what other people think .. Also if you use the X-Box 360 how do you like it and do you find it to be effective for workouts and lossing weight..

Thnaks

Replies

• lyoung0216
    Options
    I would go with the xbox and kinect because then you can get a variety of workouts (keep you from getting bored and giving up) and you can get strength training and cardio in your workout. I know the biggest loser game will make you do things like lunges etc which will help you build muscle.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I started my healthy lifestyle, my initial two tools were Kinect and an elliptical. I made myself choose one each night. I hate all exercise, but I found I could motivate myself with music on the elliptical, and keep going for the 200 calories I aimed to burn. Kinect kept me motivated with variety, like you say, and the little goals it sets.

But, the elliptical was just a calorie burner. With Kinect, the same calorie burn also helped me to tone properly. I got rid of my elliptical a long time ago, but I still use Kinect regularly and that's my personal preference, though I guess it's not seen as a 'proper' tool by some.
  • opalstar
    Options
    I have just started using Just Dance 3 with kinect on my xbox. It is great fun, and on sweat mode gives me a reasonable workout...I am quite unfit though. I don't know about you, but I only stick at fun forms of exercise, so I would say the xbox is best.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Go with the X-Box.

Ultimately, it matters not one bit which workout is the best, if you're not doing it. Pick the workout that's the most fun, and you will be motivated to do it, not want to skip it, and actually get properly into it.

I go to the gym, and play sports because I enjoy it, not because I feel I have to, which I think is very important.
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I started my healthy lifestyle, my initial two tools were Kinect and an elliptical. I made myself choose one each night. I hate all exercise, but I found I could motivate myself with music on the elliptical, and keep going for the 200 calories I aimed to burn. Kinect kept me motivated with variety, like you say, and the little goals it sets.

But, the elliptical was just a calorie burner. With Kinect, the same calorie burn also helped me to tone properly. I got rid of my elliptical a long time ago, but I still use Kinect regularly and that's my personal preference, though I guess it's not seen as a 'proper' tool by some.

To me anything that gets you up and moving and gets your heart rate up is a good workout... It is better than sitting on our butts on the couch .. LOL
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I chose Xbox/Kinect because I get bored so fast- I want to enjoy my workouts and trust me- you can workout as hard as you want with the Kinect. Jump higher, reach father- react faster and you'll get a great burn. I routinely sweat and burn upwards of 300 cals in twenty minutes when I play.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a kinect, and I love it.

However, I would say buy the elliptical. It's a long term investment that might be more beneficial. You do burn calories on the kinect, however you have to play intensly and if you aren't wearing a heart rate monitor you burns will be way off. It tell me I burn about 87 calories in 30 minutes of Kinect tennis, but per my hrm I burned 214.

I just know that while the kinect will get you up and moving... I think the elliptical will burn more, and tone your legs.

* hrm's are good for any exercise though, because machines tend to be off.

Oh and... Its about $50 give or take per game. So, it's cheaper to buy the elliptical, and a decent hrm.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Xbox360 Kinect!!!! Playing Dance Central 2 makes me sweat profusely, and I'm having fun the whole time! The best part is that, because the songs offer varying degrees of exercise and effort, your body doesn't get used to the same old routine!

If you enjoy variety and want some truly interactive entertainment, go for the Kinect!!
  • Ritahop
    Options
    I would vote for the Kinect . There is noy controls to bother with and the dance games are great. Also soon the Kinect is coming to PC platforms saw it here : www.current6.com
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have Xbox Kinect with the dance games and "Your Shape" Its really great that there is nothing you need to hold on to, it doesnt take up space, and its easy to use. Im going to get the Zumba game as well.

I don't use it as often as i should. but I'm trying to get back into it.. Its a fun and easy way to get works outs at home.

13407166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Got the XBOX with Kinect and the Your Shape game .. I've had it for a week now and am having fun with it and the adventures game when I don't really want a formal workout and just want to play but still burn calories.. I monitor my calories the my Polar F6 HRM .. I feel it is more accurate than the game.
    Thanks for the input