It's WORKING!

Options
I know this isn't going to be the TYPICAL success story but I wanted to share my FIRST NSV! Every year a about 3 times a year the Memorial Blood Center comes to work (I work for Target down at Headquarters in Minneapolis), Every time they come for the past 7 years I've been trying to donate blood but keep getting turned away...either blood pressure or anemic or both. Every single time. 30 days ago I started faithfully working my plan through MFP and today I went to donate again. Not only did the tech comment on how beautifuly dark red my blood was when she pricked my finger for the iron test but my Blood pressure was 120/80!

Iron came back perfect!

I WAS ABLE TO DONATE!

However....she said not to work out today and today is my 30 minutes on the 35 minutes of weight lifting tonight...I HAVE to work out some how, is there anything I can do? We had to skip the gym last night because of other commitments and I dont' want to skip tonight! It's currently 10:40am here and I wouldn't be going to the gym until about 4:30pm tonight

Jen

Replies

• samandlucysmum
    Options
    :smile: Congrats, don't worry about working out today, give your body time to replen the blood, my hubbie has regular venesection because he has really high iron levels, and the nurses tell him strictly not to do anything strenuous that day, he did once, he decided to lay a patio the afternoon after he had the blood take and he was really ill, so have a rest and get back to it tomorrow, drink plenty of fluids too.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You burn calories from donating blood believe it or not! :) There's your workout!

BTW congrats!
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I donate plasma twice a week (not sure if the same rules apply to whole blood), but they recommend waiting atleast 6 hours from the time you donated, and replenish with plenty of water!

however i do not recommend weights or anything strenuous....your going to feel weak! at best take a nice walk :wink:
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You burn calories from donating blood believe it or not! :) There's your workout!

BTW congrats!

LOL Really? Does it count? I wouldn't even know how to count that :laugh:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Maybe just walk a little bit as your exercise. Nothing too strenuous though!
  • C110266
    C110266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    WTG Girl! Be so PROUD!
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Well done hun!! Thats a great NSV!!

but please dont work out! she has advised you not to for a reason :) xxxx
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Maybe just walk a little bit as your exercise. Nothing too strenuous though!

I was thinking about walking for 60 minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill, thats pretty steady and slower than normal for me, it's not my typical elliptical but it does give me movement, gym time (the act of going to the gym is crucial for me to keep creating that habit) and a few extra calories for dinner tonight if need be.

At least that was my thought
  • ewing1408
    Options
    If you have to go to the gym, walk slowly and that is it. You will be surprised how tired you will be in a really short period of time. I donate blood and platelets on a pretty regular basis and your body needs the time off.
  • vickyj29
    Options
    What a great achievement, but I would advise not doing anything today as hard as it is to resist. I gave blood a few weeks ago and decided to do a little exercise and the next thing I know I'm passed out on the floor, was not a good feeling. Just give your body a chance to rest today and enjoy the feeling of having achieved a brilliant nsv as well as helping someone.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I wish I could donate, but lived in Scotland when I was young, so there's a slight chance I'm carrying mad cow lol. Nobody wants my blood :sad:
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you work out too hard, you will get nausea. If you use your arm too much, you may restart the bleeding and get a big bruise under your skin that will slow you down a couple weeks. If you don't eat and drink after donating, you'll be too light headed to do anything but lie down the rest of the day. They come up with those instructions from experience, and they won't let you donate again for 8 weeks for a reason. Just take a day off and go for a pleasant walk instead.

You do burn extra calories replacing the blood you lose, but it's spread over a couple weeks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!