Anybody make their own ketchup?

Options
I was reading the book "Real Food Has Curves" and there's a section where foods are broken into categories: Real Food, Almost Real Food, Barely Real Food, and Not Real Food. Ketchup was on the Not Real Food list. I knew it wouldn't make the Real Food list, but was a little surprised to was all the way down to Not Real Food. There's not much to it, and there are many options available.

So does anybody make their own ketchup at home? I read in a Jillian Michaels book a recipe for ketchup and she suggested putting the ketchup in ice trays so you have small portions ready to go when you want some. Not a bad idea, but the book has been returned and I no longer have the recipe. I didn't think to write it down because it seems over the top to make your own ketchup, but now I am curious.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How is ketchup not real food? Mind you, I am an ingredient reader and stay away from things that aren't real food items (like BHTQ or Polysorbate 80) so I am not sure what they are putting in the Heinz variety these days. This is the ingredient list on my ketchup:

TOMATO PASTE, *DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR, WATER, *CANE SUGAR, SEA SALT, *ONION, *ALLSPICE, *CLOVE.

Not really much to get riled up about. Now, is ketchup healthy? No, it is full of sugar. However, it is a condiment, meant to be used sparingly- a tablespoon here and there.
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make and can my own ketchup using tomatoes, onion, peppers, vinegar and spices so I wouldn't consider it 'not real' at all!
  • nymple
    nymple Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't but after seeing Jamie Olivers recipe, I have always wanted to. Recipe - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/homemade-tomato-ketchup