Are HRM's accurate?

Tried this last night, but I think everyone was sleeping. I got a garmin FR60 yesterday( without foot pod), but with a chest strap, and imputed all the numbers. Then played hockey for 70 mins. Average 1.5 min shifts, couple min rests. At the end my total cals burnt was 850+ cals, way higher then I would have estimated. My question is, how accurate is my HRM, and HRM's in general?

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    While I'm sure nothing is 100% accurate, I would assume HR monitors are more accurate
    than the information providing on exercise equiptment. And then, I would think the higher
    quality monitors are more accurate than the lesser priced.

I believe the calculated calories burned is based on age, gender, weight and how hard
    your heart is working.

I can burn upwards of 600 cal in an hour long body attack class-, so your figures could be
    pretty accurate as skating is cardio-intensive.
  • Been using a HRM for years. Mostly to keep my HR down while running or biking.
    I have always thought the cals burned were too high. I think the more fit you are the less
    cals you burn. I always knock about 15% of the total. But I don't know of any way to get more
    accurate without a VO2 test.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    They seem to be pretty good for cardio, less for strength.

As someone familiar with the game, I'm not surprised by the 850. It is pretty intense.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Been using a HRM for years. Mostly to keep my HR down while running or biking.
    I have always thought the cals burned were too high. I think the more fit you are the less
    cals you burn. I always knock about 15% of the total. But I don't know of any way to get more
    accurate without a VO2 test.

I think it would be the opposite - the more fit you are the more calories you burn...