Ankle pain while/after running

I am fairly new to running and have been doing about 30 mins on the treadmill 4-5 times per week. In the last week or so I hve developed a pain in the inside of my ankle, just in front of my ankle bone. I have tried adjusting the way I run but no luck. I currently wear reebok easy tones (x train).

Anyone experienced this before, or have any suggestions? I have developed a real enjoyment of running and I don't really want to give it up.
Cheers!

Replies

• Just bumping! I wish I knew because I hurt my ankle the other day running out of nowhere. I can still walk normally but I definitely feel something happening there (a very small pain) that gets worse as I walk fast or jog.

So I'll ask too, anyone know how to prevent further injury/make sure it's fully healed before I continue exercising the way I do?
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    You should probably be running in running shoes as opposed to cross trainers, I don't think the toning shoes are good for running at all but that's just MO. A good pair of running shoes should only set you back $100 or less (Asics is a good inexpensive brand) and if you purchase them at a running store they can help you pick the pair that are best for you based on the way you run. Some stores even have a treadmill in the store and have you hop on so they can assess your gait. Some people think running shoes are super pricey but I think Dr. visits and seeing physical therapists to fix damage done by not running in good shoes is more pricey in the long run...again just MO.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Yes! I actually just had this happen to me. I started running in january and had no problems. But, about a week or so ago, I started getting pain in my right ankle. It's the same ankle I broke a couple of years ago, so I was worried I damaged something. I kept it elevated and iced on my rest days. And started wearing my ankle brace while I run. And I haven't had any issues since doing that. Based on my internet medical degree (lol!), I think I had just a bit of tendonitis.

I would try icing and elevating and maybe pick up a brace. Getting fitted for a good pair of running shoes as someone else suggested is also a great idea.

Good luck!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Running shoes - get the proper fit, measure at a running shoe store or video tape and submit online to a number of shoe sellers for analysis.