Skin?

Options
Hey everyone,

I haven't been around in a while, but I have been losing weight pretty steadily. I am down 53lbs since I joined last year and about 45 in the past five months. Its been almost 100lbs total, but the rest was much more gradual.

The issue now is that a lot of the fat is gone, but the skin certainly is not! My upper arms (aka the bat wings) are terrible! Also, there is a serious muffin top/ spare tire situation going on. I joke about it, but it is extremely frustrating to be doing so well and to still not feel at all comfortable wearing a T-Shirt in public.

I can admit that I have been doing this mostly through diet and have no exercised much at all. In fact, I have been so busy that I am probably exercising less than I was before!

Have any of you been able to do anything (besides surgery) to deal with the skin and tighten it up? I am totally willing to get my now smaller tush to the gym, but can't decide if I should be doing cardio or strength training when I get there. Definitely would appreciate feedback of any kind.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend trying to get into an exercise program--for general health reasons as much as anything else.

Both cardio and strength training would be recommended. If time is an issue, you might look for a circuit training type class, but you might need some initial conditioning first to get the most out of it.

I would continue on your program and give the exercise a good shot before looking at other alternatives. At that point, you would need medical advice, not fitness advice.

I know it is discouraging, but hang in there--everyone's body responds differently so you still need to see how you will respond.

Congratulations on your progress so far.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    As far as I know and understand the situation... Your skin contains collagen, and as of a certain age, your skin stops producing this naturally, that is why we wrinkle and sag as we age. it is the same when we lose weight.
    You can try to use these firming creams, but from what I understand they contain ingredients like caffeine which will temporarily puff up your skin... some creams contain a type of fiberglass so all it does is irritate the derma so that it appears less wrinkled or taught.
    Some people are lucky and have great genes. You know the ones who snap back to a size 0 after giving birth to 3 kids... not one stretch mark to be seen. I'm not one of those... I have "Mommy Apron", that whole lose skin and kangaroo pouch.
    You can wear body slimmers - they have them for bat wings now!!
    But as far as I know... going under the knife is the only way to tighten the skin.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Add strength training to your routine, it will tone the skin.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Going under the knife is not necessarily the answer. It is true that the skin's elasticity depreciates over the years but that's not to say that you can't 'tone' some of it up, if not all. I have lost up to 57lbs twice now and am finally on the right path this third time. Although my 'tire' has decreased significantly I still have a bit of an apron. It's important to realise that it took time to gain the weight and so it will take time for the body to reabsorb some of those excess skin cells. I've decided to be proud of the apron for now because it means I've accomplished a lot and I know that with time it will tone up. The body slimmers mojogurl is referring to are a great idea. I bought underwear that reach my bra. They actually make 'sexier' versions now. I found that helped and of course as Azdak says, exercise is really important to toning up in general which will help immensely.

Hope that this encourages you.
    :happy:
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I didn't mean not to suggest not exercising... exercise increases blood flow to the skin and will help in toning, but if you are talking about close to 100 pounds of lost weight - chances are you will not ever lose that droopy skin.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Read this article....................

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

Your body has to adjust and slowly, it will firm back up and take shape of your new body.......

The skin is an amazing organ!!!

I use coconut oil (I use coconut oil on the inside and oustide of my body) as a moisturizer and I also dry brush...........google both topics and there is a load of information............

Here are some tips:

** Drink lots of water
    ** Eat moderate fat intake (helps the skin tremendously) - low fat diets are actually not healthy for the skin
    ** Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...........as I mentioned earlier, coconut oil is fantastic. It is organic, all natural, fast absorbing so it is not greasy feeling

coconut oil is also good for cooking too!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Did you get that body fat guide? Do you recommend it?
  • christahollis
    Options
    Add strength training to your routine, it will tone the skin.

Going to have to disagree a bit here. Strength training will create more muscle under loose skin...so the area may appear more toned...but it will not tone the skin.
    Damaged skin, as one of the other girls said, is determined by genetics and age...and all the exercise in the world won't get rid of the sagging.
    Now a good plastic surgeon...that's a different story...

If your body has not readjusted the size of your loose skin after you've been at a constant weight for about a year...those sags aren't going anywhere without surgical intervention.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Has anyone here tried BioOil? I use it on my love handles and thighs, mainly for stretch marks ( I'm only 18, and I've only lost 15lbs so far, so stretched skin isn't much of an issue) but its worked great on my scars! They're not completely gone, but they have faded and pretty much blend in with the rest of my skin now. I've started using it on my face to treat acne scars too, with some success, however, my skin is kinda oily, so it just breaks out more. Anyways, according to the reviews I've read this stuff is good for saggy and scarred skin, and I just thought I'd recommend it, seeing as it worked quite well on my scars, it might help out your skin? Either way, its only 12$ a bottle, and it lasts a couple months or so, which would be long enough to tell if it were helping at all.

Just an idea:tongue:
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I have - it did nothing for my mommy-marks.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    aww thats depressing :(
    i was just wondering..
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

The book that guy is selling doesn't have many good reviews. Has anyone read it?