any tips for weight training?

Options
Okay it may sound dumb but I'm new to this fitness life style and I have never really done weight training. I've been doing alot of cardio training the last 2 months and have dropped about 15 lbs. Now I want to start adding weight training to my work out. I just wonder if anyone has any kind of starter system I could try. I have a membership to a gym so I have access to machines or free weights. I was thinking machines my be better since I've never lifted.? I Donno! Any Suggestions??? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Before you do anything, read these from my man Lyle McDonald. Outlines what to expect and gives some great information on how to structure your own workout. It's a 4 part series that will give you a wealth of information.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html

The link to the next part is always at the end of each article.

edit - And congrats on the loss so far! As far as the machines part goes, it's a great way to get started. Part 4 of that article explains why machines may be the preferred way to get started for the absolute beginner. Once you get a few weeks of them under your belt, you can graduate to free weights which are, of course, the preferred method of strength/weight training. Don't let anyone discourage you from using them if that's where you'd like to start getting comfortable in the gym.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was thinking machines my be better since I've never lifted.

Disagree....machines may be better than nothing but if you're serious about lifting, use free weights. I used the machines for two and a half years and never saw anything NEAR the results that I've seen in my last 3 months of free weights.

Look up Stronglifts 5X5....good program for beginners as there are only 5 lifts that you need to learn. (plus it's a free download!) You'll need to focus on proper form on those 5 lifts, so if you can get a trainer at your gym to help you, that may be best. But if not, YouTube some form demonstrations (I always watch Rippetoe's stuff, he seems to be an expert) until you get it down.
  • EastCincyDad
    EastCincyDad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've worked out off-and-on since my last few years of college. After a long layoff I like to start doing daily pushups before going back to the gym. I would just do a single set. I would start back with a very easy number (I like the feeling of making progress). I do them daily, twice a day at the start if I'm really starting back from a real long layoff. Usually I increase by 1 pushup each time I do them. If I had a short layoff I might start back at a really easy number but go up by 2 (sometimes even 5).

Even if you do 1 set a day and only increase by 1, you get up to a good amount in a short amount of time. I just feel better going to the gym when I have some upper body strength to start with.

Recently I saw a website that has a path to 100 pushups in a single set (http://hundredpushups.com/). It sound like fun so I started doing that instead of my usual routine.

Pushups are great. There are variations that are probably easy enough for anyone to do. No equipment necessary. They don't take much time.

Good luck!
  • phast1
    phast1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good info At least what I've read so far! I will look more into this! Thank You!!
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Another good program is Allpro's simple beginners routine. You can find it in the forum at www.bodybuilding.com. They have lots of info on beginner routines. Hope this helps
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Never feel like less of a man for lowering the weight you lift if it means you're lifting it correctly. That extra 5-10 lbs may look more impressive but if you're just throwing it around rather than properly working your muscles, it's just wasted motion.
  • phast1
    phast1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Interesting!! I may start with this program and keep my cardio routine the same. Buildup some strength before I attempt weights. Thanks for the idea!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    A quick note on machines vs. free weights:

Machines are good to isolate a muscle, but there are so many muscles in your body, there aren't enough machines to hit them all.

Free weights force you to use stabilizing muscles in conjunctions with the muscles you are actually working. You get a better workout and those smaller muscles get a chance to develop too!

Not saying machines can't be avoided, you may want to mix them in as well, but I'd suggest not making them your only source of resistance training.

I didn't read the link from the first poster, but be sure to either have a trainer help, or do some research. For every lift, there is a right way and a wrong way. There are multiple wrong ways; some that just don't do what you think they are doing and others that can and will cause injury.
  • mommyboyce
    Options
    This may get some negative feedback however I will say it anyway. Combine your cardio routine with your weights. If you go to the gym and it has a track take a pair of light handweights with you on your run. Every lap stop at a wall rest for 60 seconds and then perform basic lifting like standing sholder press, bicep curls, standing chest press, overhead tricep extension, oblique twist, standing squats, wall squats, lungs, This is an easy way to increase your muscle tone. In order to prepare you for the "weight room"! Once you have a hang of the movements using a small amount of weight you can take the same moves into the weight room and perform them with some grace. LOL I always love to watch myself in the mirror because as cool as you think you look you don't and nobody really does. Luckily the weight training and fitness community is a very supportive enviroment. You may be performing a chest press with 10 pound dumbells and need a spot and the biggest guy in the gym will head over to help. They all started somewhere and they understand the pride that men have to let down in order to perform the lifts in peak form. Speaking of form it is crucial that you maintain proper form in order to increase your strength and stablility in a routine. If you can not keep your form then lower your weight. If you try to push on with a heavy weight you can risk serious injury which only sets you back. Another suggestion that I have is try a weight lifting class like power pump or what ever the name is at your gym. It helps you get aquainted with the proper form and name of lifting techniques. It also helps alot with learning to stablilize the free weights. Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info and advice here, I have been lifting off and on since I was 14, now 35. I took a 3 year hiatus until last year, and when I started back it was rough, the best thing I ever did was start with a couple of months of light weight lots of reps, it built a very sturdy base i was able to build on to now do heavy or endurance lifting. As for machine or free weights, I think if you have never lifted before start with the machines but keep in mind that you do eventually have to move to free weights, and when you do I would suggest working with dumbbells more than barbells when you can.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would throw something on my wall about how I am training. This is the program I am working on my strength part if any of you want to try it I have a ton of info for it. Why I love this program so much is he lays it out so well for me, printable workout forms a huge + for tracking what you are doing. The video support is unbelievable someone who has never lifted a weight can learn from this and as you watch his videos he answers all your questions before you can ask them I hope some of you try this its a kick *kitten* program (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html ) I posted this on my wall just today it is a total workout program tons of video I have had great success with it I am in my 8th week
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Muscle and Strength is good to go to as well. They actually have beginner plans and some of the lifts have videos in case you're unsure of how to do it. I'm sure Bodybuilding.com has that as well.

You don't have to do alot of weight to start with. Slowly work yourself into it. I'm a huge fan of Smith machines and dumbbell workouts. Do not get discouraged if you don't see results quickly. It takes time.