Sugar Junkie

Options
Hi everyone! Any suggestions for someone like myself struggling with craving and consuming lots n lots of sugar? I really need to stop or I'm going to keep gaining weight and put myself at risk for diabetes... :(

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The things that helped me were
    1) really really REALLY committing to only putting good things in my body
    2) going cold turkey. I went cold turkey for the first 3 weeks of my diet. I have had a few random things now and then, but after 3 weeks with no junk food at all, I don't crave it at all either.
  • 2nyce
    2nyce Posts: 37
    Options
    I am probably not the best example on here, but what I try to do is satisfy my sweet tooth with low-calorie alternatives. I go to supermarket and buy the 100 cal packs of snacks like Keebler, fudge striped grasshoppers and brownies. also, try to limit myself to two or three real sweets during the week, this way it is something to look forward to as opposed to something, I get daily and my body craves.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The things that helped me were
    1) really really REALLY committing to only putting good things in my body
    2) going cold turkey. I went cold turkey for the first 3 weeks of my diet. I have had a few random things now and then, but after 3 weeks with no junk food at all, I don't crave it at all either.

I totally agree with this. The more sugar (or high glycemic foods) you eat, the more you crave it. Period. I'm having a problem with yeast overgrowth & haven't had sugar, fruit, dairy (except Greek yogurt) or carbs for almost 6 weeks and I don't even miss it at all. That is a HUGE deal. I used to bake all the time and loved, loved, loved sweets, bread & cheese. My advice is to rid your house of the sugar, make sure you have lots of quick & easy, non-processed, healthy options to keep you satisfied and go cold turkey. Make the decision to do it and it is as good as done.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    try the STOP method.

step 1. STOP eating it.

step 2. see step #1
  • mirage228
    mirage228 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I don't think its easy for someone whose gained weight eating sugary foods to just give them up. I know from watching Dr. Oz that their are natural supplements that can help. I'm just getting back on MFP. I'm hoping I can be more committed to losing weight. Good luck!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The first few days are hard. If you can get past them, everyday gets easier, and after a couple weeks you wont crave them at all. Thats what happened to me anyway. I used to eat ALOT of sugar. It used to make me tired, i couldn't sleep at night. I feel so much better now. I have more energy and i sleep better than i have in a long time.
    I try to stay away from anything sweet. I can't just eat one cookie. If i started eating them i would eat the whole bag. Good Luck
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Also avoid high sugar fruits, ALL sodas and white carbs. They all lead to cravings. So white bread, bagels, bananas, pineapple, they all trigger the glucose cravings. Dark chocolate is a nice alternative or the low glycemic cookies!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sugar is worse than crack (to some of us). Cold turkey is tough, but worth it in the long run since a bite here and there can lead to a relapse of hideous proportions. Increasingly, scientific studies suggest that eating can activate the same brain areas that are the primary targets of drugs of abuse, and foods high in sugar, fat and certain carbohydrates are especially likely to stimulate our brain in ways that can become addictive. Food is medicine...