17 Day Diet Starting Feb 23

Options
Hey All

I am starting the 17 Day Diet on Friday, Feb 23 if anyone is interested in starting, or has already started that can offer support! I know there is already a thread on here for the 17 day diet, but its sooo long that I thought I would start a new one.

Feel free to add me if you are starting or doing the diet!

Thanks!!!

-C

Replies

• futbolkt21
    Options
    I started in January and LOVE it (I'm on Cycle 2, Day 11). Feel free to add me and we can support each other.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sorry hated it felt light headed and only lasted a week.
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Sorry it didnt work for you! Everyone is different, so hopefully I won't have that same reaction to it!

Thanks for the feedback though :)
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What is the 17 day diet?
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Bump!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested, I keep seeing things about it, but I don't know anything!

I'm going to go and do some research now! x
  • eclaire9
    Options
    The general idea of the 17DD is this:

3 - 17 Day Cycles and then a final Maintenance Cycle once the first 3 Cycles are completed.

Each cycle is different and has different goals. For example Cycle 1 is all about detoxifying the body, upping your fiber and protein, no carbs (other than what is in fruit/veggies) and low low sugar. Apparently most people lose up to 10lbs in the first cycle.

There is a book which outlines everything - I bought it on Kobo for $15, but I am pretty sure you can get it at Wal-Mart for cheaper.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did some reading on the 17 day diet and I'm not sold.

It's been suggested that you could lose up to 12 pounds in 17 days. It can't be 12 lbs of fat (which is what you want to lose) mathematically that would represent a caloric deficit of 42,000 calories over a 17 day period (2,470 per day) At 207 lbs with the objective of losing a pound a week my target intake is a net of 1,720 cal per day.

For most of us it's taken years to put on the extra weight we're carrying, shouldn't you be focusing on lifestyle changes that are sustainable and, in the long run, will lead to a healthier you rather than a "quick fix"? I also get a little concerned when I see psuedo-scientific terms like detoxification.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Isn't it alot like South Beach?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options

It's been suggested that you could lose up to 12 pounds in 17 days. It can't be 12 lbs of fat (which is what you want to lose) mathematically that would represent a caloric deficit of 42,000 calories over a 17 day period (2,470 per day) At 207 lbs with the objective of losing a pound a week my target intake is a net of 1,720 cal per day.

For most of us it's taken years to put on the extra weight we're carrying, shouldn't you be focusing on lifestyle changes that are sustainable and, in the long run, will lead to a healthier you rather than a "quick fix"? I also get a little concerned when I see psuedo-scientific terms like detoxification.

The book at no point says that you can lose 12 lbs of fat in 17 days, precisely because it's NOT a fad diet. In fact, Dr. Moreno expressly states that a lot of this early weight loss is water. Fact is, though, pounds are pounds, and the rapid loss at the onset is incredibly motivating for most people and often gives them the determination needed to continue. In addition, you eat a healthy, balanced diet, and I for one have yet to experience any cravings. I'm entirely sold on it, because it makes absolute sense.
  • eclaire9
    Options
    I'm a newbie to this, but from what I can tell its a very nutritious, well balanced diet focusing on healthy food.

Not for everyone - CLEARLY - but seems to work for some.

Everyone is different, and we all need to find the right thing for us! :)
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Also, the 'lifestyle' change is deifnitely a big part of it. Cycle 4 is the maintenance stage and this shows how to maintain a healthy lifestyle once we reach our target weight!!! :):)
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not sold on this either. I'm not into fad dieting. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats/proteins, and whole grains. If you want a piece of pizza eat one, just not the whole thing. Besides drinking more water will help you drop water weight.
  • eclaire9
    Options
    I wasn't trying to sell anyone on this diet.........

I was merely looking for individuals who were either interested in starting, or have already started.

Das all folks!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not sold on this either. I'm not into fad dieting. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats/proteins, and whole grains. If you want a piece of pizza eat one, just not the whole thing. Besides drinking more water will help you drop water weight.

Huh. What you're describing is precisely the 'fad diet' that is 17 DD. Go figure! :laugh:
  • bhcb02
    Options
    I am on C1D3 ... so far so good! I;m enjoying this diet so far and have been completely satisfied with my food intake.
  • futbolkt21
    Options

He clearly states in the book that in the first cycle you will lose a significant amount of weight due to your body detoxing and getting rid of all the extra water weight that it is storing. It's not until the 2nd cycle when you start burning fat and losing weight at a normal rate. You start by detoxing and then you build back up to eating normally. You're basically learning how to eat the right way. After all is said and done, you have been taught how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • futbolkt21
    Options
    Also....

Though I have only been doing this one month, my relationship with food has completely changed. I am eating to live, not living to eat. I am able to go out to eat with friends, go to other peoples' house for dinner, etc. At this point in the diet, I am feeling so great that it is easy for me to turn down my old favorites (no joke!).

And during the "detox" cycle, you not doing some crazy drastic detox....you still eat your 1200 calories a day.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Would like to add I have lost 40 pounds on the 17 Day Diet. Diet ugh i hate that word. This really is not a diet in the least. Some people need guidelines and instructions to know they are doing it right. I am one of them. It teaches you how to eat healthy. I have thought for years I was eating healthy and I was not. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. It's something you need to keep up. I have lost weight every week since being on the plan. 4 weeks ago I stopped to see if it was how the program was laid out or if it was the effort I was putting in. I have not gained nor lost a pound in 4 weeks. I will be starting up again on Sunday in hopes of losing the last 10 pounds. I stand by this program. I know it works and I know it's not a fad. Aside from losing weight. My hair, nails and skin look better then they ever have. Yes I assure you the first 2 weeks is difficult. But it gets easier and easier. If someone wants it bad enough they will sacrifice the 2 weeks.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    And to the person who said they were dizzy don't worry about that. Clearly they didn't eat enough and it says in plain text in the book when you are hungry. Eat,