Low Resting Heart Rate

Options
I remember when I was a medical intern in college one of my co-interns checked my resting heart rate a few times, and it was on the low range. I don't remember the numbers but my co-intern actually mentioned it to a cardiologist. This cardiologist made a quick assessment and concluded I am normal but will have to do a quick ECG. It came out normal.

Ever since then, every time I go see a doctor, I am always asked if I was an athlete. And I always say NO.

Last night while surfing the net, it occurred to me that I really don't know what my RHR is so I took it 3 different times with 3-5 mins in between. I had to take it 3 times because the first time was only 47!!!! I was shocked, happy and confused. And even with those emotions, the 2nd time I took it, it was the same. The 3rd time was 49. And again this morning before I got off the bed, it was 46.

Anybody's RHR this low?

I am not and never was an athlete. This week, I didn't really work out until this morning. I kinda have a feeling that I am stronger than I think I am.
Stats: 5'4" ; 147.2 lbs ; 36 y/o, female ( in case it's not obvious on the pic).

I guess I am just curious of a low RHR can be genetically influenced, or something.

Replies

• DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Count your blessings!

I'm pretty fit and active -- for example, my exercise of choice is cycling and I rode about 3500 miles last year. My RHR is generally around 75-80. I anticipate going for a ride and it jumps to 90. :wink:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow! I think my RHR is something like 80-90. I'll where my HRM while I watch TV one of these days.

I always thought that a really good RHR is like 75. But 47 sounds amazing.

How's your blood pressure?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    RIght now when I am running a lot my RHR is 40. When I was not running, but rather smoking and drinking a lot it was in the high 60s. So, there is a genetic as well as fitness component at work.

Stats: male, 52 yrs old, 6'0", 177 lbs
  • tammyw59
    tammyw59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine runs about 52. It used to be around 60 until I started serious training.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My RHR is 45 but I am a runner. I have to get up slowly sometimes because I get dizzy right at first. But I am used to that.
  • scotslass
    Options
    Im not an athlete either im 5'6 174lbs and my RHR is 53 not bad :-)
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My RHR is also low like yours 46/47 last time i measured it .... been told its prob b/c were fit/strong hearts from working out. fitter than we think i guess
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I believe resting heart rate is more accurate if you measure it first thing in the morning before actually getting up out of bed.

The last time I measured it mine was 42. I believe it is considered "Athletic" for someone 10 years younger than I am.
  • Gionni
    Gionni Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take mine twice a week first thing in the morning its general 51-53 bps
  • augiedad
    Options
    I was checked out a few years ago because while having a medical procedure my RHR was 29. My cardiologist did a whole battery of tests including a stress test. Everything came back perfect and I was told that not everything can be explained, but I was in no danger. Now after losing 110lbs, everytime I donate blood my RHR is usually in the low 40's and they ask if I work out alot.

There is a medical term for this condition that escapes me right now.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a medical intern in college one of my co-interns checked my resting heart rate a few times, and it was on the low range. I don't remember the numbers but my co-intern actually mentioned it to a cardiologist. This cardiologist made a quick assessment and concluded I am normal but will have to do a quick ECG. It came out normal.

Ever since then, every time I go see a doctor, I am always asked if I was an athlete. And I always say NO.

Last night while surfing the net, it occurred to me that I really don't know what my RHR is so I took it 3 different times with 3-5 mins in between. I had to take it 3 times because the first time was only 47!!!! I was shocked, happy and confused. And even with those emotions, the 2nd time I took it, it was the same. The 3rd time was 49. And again this morning before I got off the bed, it was 46.

Anybody's RHR this low?

I am not and never was an athlete. This week, I didn't really work out until this morning. I kinda have a feeling that I am stronger than I think I am.
    Stats: 5'4" ; 147.2 lbs ; 36 y/o, female ( in case it's not obvious on the pic).

I guess I am just curious of a low RHR can be genetically influenced, or something.

Many top-class runners have low resting heart-rates, they are most likely designed this way for the reason that they would be able to run for longer and faster before their heart reaches maximum.

The fitter somebody is, the slower their resting heart rate would normally be too - well within reason that is, a RHR of 10 bpm would be cause for concern I think lol.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've tried to get my RHR below 60 for years. I'd up my cardio and nothing. Was stuck at 60. Early this year I completely changed my workout from normal wight lifting and cardio to circuit training and interval cardio training. I started getting dizzy when I'd get up too fast. I took my BP and discovered my RHR is now between 48 - 52. For me, I had to train extra hard (but not longer) to get mine down.

Looks like I have average genetics compared to others posting.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Mine is 42.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I believe resting heart rate is more accurate if you measure it first thing in the morning before actually getting up out of bed.

The last time I measured it mine was 42. I believe it is considered "Athletic" for someone 10 years younger than I am.

Definitely as you wake up ...remain in bed and take it before moving.

My last was 48 but I also would be considered an athlete
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Wow! I think my RHR is something like 80-90. I'll where my HRM while I watch TV one of these days.

I always thought that a really good RHR is like 75. But 47 sounds amazing.

How's your blood pressure?

My BP is always on the healthy low range. Nothing alarming. The only time it went up was when I was almost due when I was pregnant with my twins. But my BP is something I can always be proud of.

I guess I am one of those that are blessed with an efficient :heart: Now my :heart: is happy.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Mine was usually about 42 until I got treated for anemia, and now it's about 46. I exercise a lot, but it has always been quite low, even when I went through a long phase of not exercising a few years ago. It runs in my family -- both my father and sister have a sub-40 RHR.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    MIne is about 55-65 usually. i was never told there was anything wrong with this and i have a physical every year and my EKG is fine... so i guess not to worry about it.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mine resting, I take it three times a day, averages 50 to 54, my b/p is 125/ 65 resting average. Two months ago, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 170/105. Exercise, portion control and reducing sodium has helped that. No b/p meds.
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a 46 yr old female. I really don't consider my self an athlete but I do anywhere from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs on the ellptical 6 days a week at a pretty good pace. My resting heart rate is 42.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone I use to check it twice a week before getting out of bed. It ranges anywhere from 48 to 53. I'm 5'6" and weigh 196, but I work out 5-6 days a week.