Question for those who have more than one dog....

Options
2»

Replies

• DisneyMommy
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback on this. I think the right choice is to take him for the puppy classes. I like the idea of him getting to be around other puppies for a while and the one on one time. Someone mentioned me feeling a bit insecure in my ability to train him, I really think that was right too. I feel I can do it but at the same time I like the idea of having a safety net (trainer) to fall back on. I think that is really my personality type. I do not want to end up with a mess of a dog like the one that lives behind us! He barks at everything and he's a mastiff mix with a very loud bark! I am almost scared of what would happen if he ever got loose. Their other dog (German Shepherd) was such a friendly dog. You can tell they never bothered to train this one when they got him. Very sad.

Bee - love the picture of your pups! They are adorable! :)

I've never posted pictures before so I hope this works!

Here is Gibson (2 years old) and Jackson (3 1/2 months old)
    011-4.jpg
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback on this. I think the right choice is to take him for the puppy classes. I like the idea of him getting to be around other puppies for a while and the one on one time. Someone mentioned me feeling a bit insecure in my ability to train him, I really think that was right too. I feel I can do it but at the same time I like the idea of having a safety net (trainer) to fall back on. I think that is really my personality type. I do not want to end up with a mess of a dog like the one that lives behind us! He barks at everything and he's a mastiff mix with a very loud bark! I am almost scared of what would happen if he ever got loose. Their other dog (German Shepherd) was such a friendly dog. You can tell they never bothered to train this one when they got him. Very sad.

Bee - love the picture of your pups! They are adorable! :)

I've never posted pictures before so I hope this works!

Here is Gibson (2 years old) and Jackson (3 1/2 months old)
    011-4.jpg
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    not sure where my reply went!

But here it is again- does Gibson ahve a little Chow, Akita or Shar Pei in him? His curled tail is adorable-
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Socialization is incredibly important! New dogs, new people, new places, new animals! Even if you don't take the classes you can stand outside a grocery store and ask people to pet your dog. Bring him to a dog park. Bring him to the pet store with you (most are pet friendly haha).
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    I have three dogs right now who are all very well trained (two of them are therapy dogs). I have taken and still do take each of them to different classes, partially for the mental stimulation for them and partially because they need one-on-one time with me. It helps them with their bond with me and it gives them some special time with me.

I also agree with meerkat70, socialization is really, really important!

As a 5 pack household I completely agree!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think that every dog should go through training.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If I had it to do over, I would put my 2 year old German mix through puppy classes. My 7 year old lab mix did not require formal training, (but he's anti-social with other dogs now so I wish we had socialized him as a puppy). When we got the German at 6 weeks, we thought she would just learn naturally like he did, especially being around him. Did not happen. She's wild and is what I call not trainable. But she's very social with other dogs.

So I vote yes. Puppy classes.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My first was a lab mix rescue and I took her through training - she's an angel.

My second was a little terrier mutt, we didn't do training BUT the lab trained him!

I never had to potty train or teach him sit, come, no etc... I would say it to her, and he would do that same thing :) She's getting old now, so I hope if she passes and I get a new baby, the other one will be my trainer next time too!
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Puppies should always be trained when young and then put through "refresher courses" as they age.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If your puppy is up-to-date on all his vaccinations then I would say yes. Just make sure he's vaccinated.. then you'll have to be careful if he's around dogs that haven't been spayed.

Good luck!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well I would not call myself a trainer but I have two dogs and my husband and I trained them ourselves. They are both very well behaved. However Socialize SOCIALIZE!! The boy was not socialized until he was about 6 months old when we got him. He was very mean to us and others! With LOTS OF WORK! He is now the sweetest dog and loves to cuddle up on a blanket with us of course they are only 10lbs so they can :) Good Luck in whatever you choose and they were the first dogs I ever trained no classes. Its possible :)
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    Yes of course. I Have a 1 year old male Australian Shepherd and a 4 month old female Australian Shepherd. He has completed puppy class, basic training, tricks training, and is doing scent work. My female has just completed puppy class and is started in scent training as well. It's always good to give your dogs a job, keep them busy, and in training!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Well I would not call myself a trainer but I have two dogs and my husband and I trained them ourselves. They are both very well behaved. However Socialize SOCIALIZE!! The boy was not socialized until he was about 6 months old when we got him. He was very mean to us and others! With LOTS OF WORK! He is now the sweetest dog and loves to cuddle up on a blanket with us of course they are only 10lbs so they can :) Good Luck in whatever you choose and they were the first dogs I ever trained no classes. Its possible :)

I agree that socialization is VERY important for all dogs - large and small. I also trained all 3 of our dogs, my Staffordshire Terrier (mix) was vital in training our other two dogs. Good luck!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a multiple dog owner. I have large dogs Mastiffs and pitts. I took the oldest one to puppy training when she was 4 months old. None of the others have been taken and they all do great on commands when spoken to. The largest Mastiff is Alpha, and she pretty much runs the roost. If the command stay is given and one of the others move she growls at them. She knows what I want when I give a command. She knows Momma is Alpha Female and she follows my commands and makes sure the others do also... I wouldn't waste your money unless you don't feel you can teach them...
  • 8Spokes
    Options
    Puppy class is probably your best bet, unless you know you'll be disciplined and committed to taking your pup to meet new people, going new places, training and socialization- and being consistent! It all depends on your lifestyle. We're active duty military and go to college, so we literally have every hour of the day dedicated to something- and our dogs have their own time slots. ;)

We have two adult mutt males and adopted our female pup at 6 months old; some damage had already been done...we're still trying to get her over her fear of new people or places. Right now our "pup" is 13 months old and she's made so much progress, but has a ways to go yet. We are taking her through two adult training classes, although she knows the commands already, it's good for her to interact w/ people and see other dogs.

**FYI- we trained both our males and have had no issue with them. :) Good luck to ya.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    not sure where my reply went!

But here it is again- does Gibson ahve a little Chow, Akita or Shar Pei in him? His curled tail is adorable-
    We only know for sure that mommy was a black lab. We think he has Shar Pei in him w/the curled tail and his "worry" wrinkles on his head.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little dogs. They totally have me wrapped around their fingers (paws). I wish I had taken them to training classes.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My dogs are well behaved and also excellent hunters - they have never been to any training other than our own. I see no point in sending dogs to someone else when we are perfectly capable of doing it ourselves. Socially, we have neighbors with dogs, they all play and behave well together. It helps if you have an older dog to help teach pups.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Just another thought, we have two dogs, the 3 1/2 month old Rottie (Rock) as previously mentioned, and an 11 year old Jack Russell Terrier (Spike).

My fiancé did a good job with basic training of Spike, but without proper socialization (which puppy training classes provide) he was very aggressive with other dogs and people coming into the house. Now as he's gotten pretty old, and has calmed down and the work we've put in since we moved in together, he's better with people but has absolutely no interest in other dogs and I even warn other dog owners that they will be better off having their dog play with Rock rather than Spike. Rock is amazing with other dogs and other people and I truly credit this to the puppy training. With a big dog like ours, that already has a "reputation" amongst people who know nothing about Rottweilers, we are going to be taking him through all the training courses offered through Petsmart and with the same trainer as he's incredible, just so we can break that stereotype.