Do you have any workout "motivation" clothes?

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
The heck with science for today--it's the start of a holiday weekend.

Let's talk fashion.

Do you have any particular workout clothes that you save for "serious" efforts? For extra motivation? For days when you have your "game face" on?

Many (many, many) years ago, during my more serious days, I used to have a particular pair of shorts, singlet, and pair of shoes that I used only for races. It was part of the whole race-day routine.

I haven't ventured out into an organized race just yet (fear of injury has kept me on the treadmill and other machines for now), but I do like to do "performance efforts" every couple of weeks just to test my progress. I have done five 5K runs on the treadmill and three 10Ks since May and am happy with the progress.

On "race days" I wear a red Under Armour top. It's something I got from my past job to wear at a trade show where we exhibited our equipment. I hated wearing it before because I did not have the kind of body that I really wanted to advertise in a bright red shirt. Now, it's my Tiger Woods shirt--when I wear it, it's "go time".

I also have a newer black shirt that I wear when I am scheduled for a more aggressive strength workout. It's one that I just bought in a smaller size to fit my now-smaller size. It has more of a contour fit--again, something I would have never considered 3 months ago.

How about you? Do you have anything that you save for that extra motivation?

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm like you -- my workout clothes are pretty simple but say so much. Short shorts (khaki ****ie brand), and a black athletic t-shirt. By the time I'm done sweating up the t-shirt, it clings to me and I can see all my hard work!!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I see how much more serious I am getting about working out as the year has progressed. When I joined the gym, I would just go in whatever cotton shorts and husband's t-shirt I could find. Then I decided to go to Wal-Mart and buy some cheapy matching outfits. Now, I splurge and buy the $25 shorts that breath easy and the special workout bra and easy-breathable tops. Oh yeah, and my husband as a gift gave me a $150 gift certificate to buy REAL shoes (as opposed to the $15 ones I would pick up every two years) and what a difference.

The clothes do make the workout!
  • FantasticVoyage
    Options
    At this point any shorts that will stay put and not ride up and chafe the inside of my legs, are alright by me! :grumble:
  • Azdak
    Options
    I see how much more serious I am getting about working out as the year has progressed. When I joined the gym, I would just go in whatever cotton shorts and husband's t-shirt I could find. Then I decided to go to Wal-Mart and buy some cheapy matching outfits. Now, I splurge and buy the $25 shorts that breath easy and the special workout bra and easy-breathable tops. Oh yeah, and my husband as a gift gave me a $150 gift certificate to buy REAL shoes (as opposed to the $15 ones I would pick up every two years) and what a difference.

The clothes do make the workout!

Now, that's what I'm talking about!
  • Azdak
    Options
    At this point any shorts that will stay put and not ride up and chafe the inside of my legs, are alright by me! :grumble:

I find compression shorts to be an essential part of my workout attire. My wife has switched almost exclusively to capri-style technical fabric pants instead of shorts for the same reason. It's definitely worth investing a few $$ in your workout attire--I think it can make a big difference.

Good luck with your program.

My daughter just moved to Providence yesterday from Portland ME. She has finished her 1st 2 yrs of medical school and is starting clinical rotations.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Im the same way. Ive slowly been getting more serious about my clothes. I have gotten one race outfit, a sports bra and now bought an under armour visor today. It def makes me feel better! Glad you have some motivation! Keep it up!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well now that you mention it.........I have moved up in the world of workout fashion, if you want to call it that!!

I started out in HUGE Tshirts and leggings all the way to the ankle. Every part of me covered, so no one could see my rolls a bouncing.

I now wear tanks for weightlifting on arms days cuz I want to see what I am working and I have some great long short workout pants...........I actually show my knees:blushing:

I do find the clothes make me feel more serious about really working out.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks for the relfections:glasses:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    Well now that you mention it.........I have moved up in the world of workout fashion, if you want to call it that!!

I started out in HUGE Tshirts and leggings all the way to the ankle. Every part of me covered, so no one could see my rolls a bouncing.

I now wear tanks for weightlifting on arms days cuz I want to see what I am working and I have some great long short workout pants...........I actually show my knees:blushing:

I do find the clothes make me feel more serious about really working out.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks for the relfections:glasses:

Jeannie are your pants long or short? HAHAHAHA
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

I read the other day that it's not the clothes that we wear when we workout that causes "chub rub" as some people call it. It's the salt in our sweat that dries and then rubs on our legs. Makes me feel better that it's not my clothes that are causing it.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

I find compression shorts to be an essential part of my workout attire. My wife has switched almost exclusively to capri-style technical fabric pants instead of shorts for the same reason. It's definitely worth investing a few $$ in your workout attire--I think it can make a big difference.

I agree. I wear fitted capris when I work out. I got sick of not being able do reverse crunches at the gym because I didn't want to flash people.:grumble: Mine were actually inexpensive ($15 at Ross).

If you can't buy new workout clothes, Baby powder is a god send for preventing chafing. I have to use it under my bras during the summer. :blushing:
  • FantasticVoyage
    Options

Good luck with your program.

My daughter just moved to Providence yesterday from Portland ME. She has finished her 1st 2 yrs of medical school and is starting clinical rotations.

Thanks for the suggestions! I plan to go out and buy some good workout clothes this weekend now that I've gotten really serious.

Tell your daughter congrats! I went for medical myself, medical assisting
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just bought a couple pairs of running skorts, love them, they have compression shorts build in underneath.