Anyone recently increase their net calorie intake?

Options
Previously I was trying to keep my net calories between 500 and 800 a day. Just this week I've changed my calorie goals from losing 2lbs/week to 1lb/week. And I've decided to eat my exercise calories back too, around half or as much as I can, to get me closer to my net calorie goal. This is all in an effort to bust through my plateau and provide my body with enough fuel to get through all the exercise I do and lose weight, i.e. avoid "starvation mode". Is anyone else just making this change also? I'd like to have some buddies for support and to share progress with.

Replies

• nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Meee. I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1520. I have not budged on the scale for nearly THREE months. I am down 30 already (which I lost in 3 months) but now...NOTHING. I know since upping my calories I feel so much more energy. but still NOTHING on the scale. Feel free to add me!
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Yep... I've officially entered maintenance land and you better believe Im going to enjoy every single extra calorie.... Mmm, calories.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just upped mine to 1500. We will see what the scale says tomorrow!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've been considering upping my calories since the scale hasn't moved in a few weeks, in either direction. I know I've lost inches though. I do eat the majority of my excersize calories back and try to net 1200 but sometimes I'm a little under or over. I may give it another week at 1200 and then up them to 1300 and see how that goes.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I upped mine to 1,800 from 1,600 over a month ago because I was losing weight and I didn't want to and so far so good :) I have more energy now, I was getting kinda light headed at times so I needed a little more food.
  • tammy1005
    Options
    I have upped my a bit too. Not losing anything on 1200. Trying 1400 and see how it goes.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I recently adjusted mine up from 1200 to 1400
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I recently upped mine. I'm doing 2500 on gym days and 2000 on rest days. It's not that I stopped losing weight though, I just wanted better performance at the gym. My weight loss stopped for a bit after increasing my calories, but has started moving down again now.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yep... I've officially entered maintenance land and you better believe Im going to enjoy every single extra calorie.... Mmm, calories.

Lol this!!
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP this week, and reading all about plateau and calorie needs, I have upped my calories to eat 1200 per day plus some of my exercise calories. I weigh on Monday, so not sure if it has helped yet. I have gone a month now with no weight loss, so hoping this is the answer. Add me!
  • margerator
    Options
    I upped mine too!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i upped mine at the beginning of the month - from 1520 to 1845 net. waiting until the 1st of march to weigh in and see how well it worked.
    1845 is my currant BMR and i have mixed feelings about eating below it - though i may change my net to my BMR id have at goal weight.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This year I started back at 1200 net and lost about 3 lbs. For the next month or so I lost nothing so I upped by 100. Another 4 weeks later nothing great to talk about- maybe .5 lb. So last week I upped another 100 eating now at 1400-1500 net cals. and finally the scale is moving again!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I decided to go ahead and up mine by 100 more calories. I think I'll try this for a few weeks and see how it goes then adjust it from there.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I really think you should up your net cals, and here's why..
    For about a month straight I was eating 1200cals and had a net of 800 cals.
    It screwed my metabolism up big time. I decided to go on maintanence for a while and I've been eating
    2000 cals and slowly losing. I don't know your stats but I think your body would benefit from more food.
    & if you do up your cals, guaranteed there will be initial gain, mostly all water weight though.
    But it's definitely worth it!
    Goodluck(;
  • athensguy
    Options
    I upped my net calories from 2300 to 2500. I eat all of my exercise calories, and usually go over.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I upped mine from 1480 to 1600 and i eat most of my exercise calories and I started losing again.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it can take several days for your body to respond to the change, it will start changing but don't expect a day or two to suddenly get you results.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I upped mine and started eating back my calories for a couple of weeks. I was trying to maintain, but ended up gaining, so I bumped it down to .5lb a week lose but I will still try to eat back all my exercise calories. I am hoping this will allow me to maintain better and if I lose a lb or two I will be happy.