Do you still eat "normal" or have you completely cut out "ba

Options
This is mostly aimed at the people who've lost a lot of weight. Did you do it by completely cutting out junk and only eating healthy foods or do you eat what you want, just in moderation?
I am just curious because I still eat what I want for the most part..... just not the same AMOUNT that I used to eat and it has taken me almost a year to lose almost 70 pounds. That's not bad but I think maybe I cold have lost more if I completely went the "healthy eating" route. I mean, I still eat pizza, icecream, taco salads, burgers (turkey). I have modified my recipes to make these foods healthier.... I use a lot of low-fat or fat-free foods, I use turkey pepperoni, ground turkey, turkey burgers, etc. I very rarely use ground beef. If I eat bread, it is always whole wheat or whole grain. If I get icecream, I get the WW or Skinny Cow brand, etc, etc. And I eat all of these things in MODERATION. I have been thinking about completely cutting out the "bad" foods but it's just so hard!

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    = )
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I lost 30ish pounds in about 7 months and have kept it off for another 4 months. I eat anything and everything I want - it's about moderation. Throughout my weight loss, I still went out with my football team for wings, fries and beer after the games, but I LOGGED it all and made sure to keep my weekly numbers on track.

Personally, telling myself I CAN'T have something isn't going to work in the long run. That said, I do eat a ton less pasta, rice and bread than I used to as it limits the rest of my calorie intake for the day. My brain (and stomach) have adjusted to fewer carbs in my life.

**Edited to add**
    And 70 pounds in a year is fantastic!! You are making the choices that work for you and losing in a steady manner that will keep the weight off rather than cutting things out that you would then miss.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    Thanks! I also have started eating a lot less pasta and bread but if I do eat it, I get whole wheat or whole grain. I used to eat a whole box of mac n cheese by myself and never even realized how horrible that was. I can remember a few times when I would get up in the morning and have oreos and milk for breakfast. Ugh. I could seriously slap myself now when I think back on how horrible I used to eat. I used to be sooooo uneducated about food and nutrition. I look back now and think "Omg! What was I doing to myself!"
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think part of the reason people "fail" at the diet or end up gaining weight bad is they just cannot take not eating the "bad" foods anymore. I think what you are doing is perfect. No, one cannot eat Big Macs 5x a week, but 2x a month wont mess up a good diet plan either. 70 lbs in a year is AWESOME! That's more than 1lb a week which according to most doctors is what one should shoot for, right?

I've lost 12 lbs so far this time on MFP, shooting for 21 lbs as my first goal, and then I'll set another goal from there. I figure if there is a healthier way to make a yummy food then so be it, and if there's not (like a big mac!) I'll splurge and have the big mac and a small fries, and If I know I'm going to do that, I have bran flakes, skim milk for breakfast, piece of fruit for a snack, then my big mac meal, and then for another meal usually salad with balsamic vinegar and spices and chicken breast for lunch/dinner. I always make sure I excersise the day I have a "really bad" food also, sometimes put an extra 10 minutes/100 calories :-)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I eat "normal." I love to eat, but I've learned portion control and I've found healthier alternatives to my favorite "bad" foods. I could not have lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 2 years if I had to give up all the foods I love. It's all about findin a compromise/balance that works for you.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the name of the game. The key is just to eat much less of them. If I feel like having one of those bad items, I portion it out before hand and work it in to my calorie goals. A couple of times a week I have a meal I have been craving.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Eating everything........In moderation =)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change. I want to be doing things now exactly the way I plan on doing them for the rest of my life. If I eliminate things temporarily then all of a sudden I am on a "diet".
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I think part of the reason people "fail" at the diet or end up gaining weight bad is they just cannot take not eating the "bad" foods anymore. I think what you are doing is perfect. No, one cannot eat Big Macs 5x a week, but 2x a month wont mess up a good diet plan either. 70 lbs in a year is AWESOME! That's more than 1lb a week which according to most doctors is what one should shoot for, right?

I've lost 12 lbs so far this time on MFP, shooting for 21 lbs as my first goal, and then I'll set another goal from there. I figure if there is a healthier way to make a yummy food then so be it, and if there's not (like a big mac!) I'll splurge and have the big mac and a small fries, and If I know I'm going to do that, I have bran flakes, skim milk for breakfast, piece of fruit for a snack, then my big mac meal, and then for another meal usually salad with balsamic vinegar and spices and chicken breast for lunch/dinner. I always make sure I excersise the day I have a "really bad" food also, sometimes put an extra 10 minutes/100 calories :-)

Thanks for the reply! I think the reason why I have given up so many times is because in the past I always told myself I had to only eat certain things and not eat anything bad and then after about a week, I couldn't take it anymore and then I'd be right back where I started. Btw, since you mentioned Big Macs, that reminds me..... I have been working at Walmart for a little over 4 months now and we have a McDonalds there and I am very proud to say that in the whole time I've been working there, I have only eaten at McDonalds ONE TIME. lol. The biggest things that have helped me lose weight were switching to diet pop and not eating fast food as much. I haven't eaten at Taco Bell for a year and that used to be one of my favorites! I still eat fast food sometimes but if I do, I usually go to Subway or Wendy's. And if I go to Wendy's I usually get a salad or grilled chicken sandwich. I used to eat fast food like every single day... sometimes twice a day. So that has made a big difference!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I've lived by the whole moderation rule plus exercise. I also believe in slow weight loss vs. rapid.
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out everything but I do try to make wiser choices when picking things to eat. I try to stay away from the sweets and such but as we all know sometimes isn't easy, but I do try to NOT eat them. When eating out I try to eat healthy. After all for weight loss to stick it is a lifestyle change not a diet. Diets don't work but we have to teach ourselves to choose better ways of eating. So I do from time to time have something bad but I try to pick and alternative to the bad stuff to make it better for me.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've changed some of the stuff I make, with minor ingredient changes. I make burgers at home all the time, I use turkey burgers. I make spaghetti and meat sauce using ground turkey. I re-make some of my classic recipes with low cal, lower fat ingredients. But do I sit around and only eat alfalfa? Heck no. Do I still go to wendys when i'm exhausted after a workout, yeah sometimes. And there I get grilled chicken rather than a burger (but we all know fast food grilled chicken is not "healthy" and i'm ok with that, it tastes good). I still eat mostly the same stuff, a few modifications, I just eat *less*. Logging with MFP has helped that a whole lot.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have a 'new normal' - it's not what it used to be, but it's sustainable and I enjoy it. I do still eat junk, just not as much of it as I did before, and I am conscious of how to fit it into my day w/o going overboard.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost huge numbers, but then again I didn't have a ton to lose in the first place...
    But here's how I see it...

This is not REALLY a diet. It's a lifestyle change. I don't want to make any changes that are so drastic that I won't be able to keep them up for the rest of my life.

Will I never eat at McDonalds again for the rest of my life? Absolutely not...But I will be able to limit it to once or twice a month instead of several times a week!
    Will I never eat a piece of cake, pie, or candy again? I sure hope not! But I will be able to learn how to stop at one small piece, instead of going back for number 2, 3, or 4!

Small steps, small changes...it all adds up. And if you can maintain those changes for life, you'll never become overweight again! :)
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think the way you are doing it is perfect!! I lost 54lbs 2yrs ago and it took me about 9mths to lose it so I think you are right on track! If you take away all the foods you like/love you are more likely to go back to them and gain back, I definitely think a few small changes and portion control is the key! Good luck with your journey you are doing great!! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Im still eating "normal" just better, I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I dont go over calories, but that being said in order to not go over I dont eat nearly as much for example maybe Ill have 1 slice of pizza or one piece of bite sized candy
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 160 pounds since I started. (over several years)I think you really have to eat strict at first but over time you can let yourself have that 1 bad meal or snack. The trick is not letting that 1 bad meal become a bad day and that bad day becoming a bad week. I eat healthy now and I enjoy the foods I eat, so I don't feel like I am always depriving myself. (This was not how it was when I started losing weight but over time it has become that way)

If your diet now consists of mostly sugary items, then just cutting back isn't healthy or going to work long term in my oppinon. I have found my taste buds have changed as I have migrated to a healthy eating style but that does take time to happen.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change. I want to be doing things now exactly the way I plan on doing them for the rest of my life. If I eliminate things temporarily then all of a sudden I am on a "diet".

^^ this! You need to change those bad habits (like eating fast food twice a day!) so you can maintain the weight you want to maintain. It's not a diet, you are making a lifestyle change. And its not like you're not going to eat chips ever again, so you need to learn to moderate. TBH, i think i am preaching to the converted, you are doing a great job! it took me two years to lose 70lbs, but i have absolutely not regrets about doing it the long way, i know i have changed those habits now!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Though you can't tell from my ticker, I lost 40 lbs before I started on here. I did so by cutting way back on the junk food but not completely. I may eat a serving of potato or bread once every three weeks. I switched sugared pop to diet and eat a ton more steamed veggies. I of course began exercising and cut portion size a bit. It worked great for me. The key is to keep trying new things until you find what works for you. We are all different in our cravings, tastes, and metabolisms.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. I eat what I want..but try to stay within my macros. Tomorrow night I am headed to 2 parties..Probably will do a double workout ..to give me more calories..

I do splurge a bit on the weekends..but I try to get workouts in..after all my friends are awesome cooks..have amazing food..and life revolves around the snack table..I am not going to feel denied..but I will eat rather than drink...