please review me

Options
anyone want to review my diary and see what i need to do different, i'm barely staying under my calories

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are blowing your calories on empty foods: Crunchy peanut bar, coffee creamer, dressing, french fries, syrup, chocolate chip cookies, pizza, bread sticks, and cake.
    You need to look at whole foods not these packaged waste of calories. The 300 calories you ate in cookies you could have had a well balanced meal of chicken and veggies.
    Try checking out the recipe section of the message boards people post a lot of healthy quick recipes.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Be careful what you ask for! I looked at your diary and went back about a week. A few things I noticed right away...you are using a lot of calories for "non-food" items...one day you had 775 calories in what I call condiments (not food)...creamer in your coffee, syrup and salad dressing. You need to find lower calorie/sugar/fat alternatives that you can tolerate. I would suggest eating more often and eating smaller amounts rather than 3 big meals a day. I find that eating more often allows me to eat less overall as I never get to the point where I get hungry. I'd also suggest more protein in the morning. Try doing the greek yogurt in the morning instead of at lunch. Eating a protein rich breakfast helps start your body working on the right track. Good luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Its true you can still eat some naughty things while dieting and not restrict yourself, but you cant do it every day at every meal.

Big Bold mistakes I see.
    5TBSP of coffee creamer every day? get rid of it or find an alternative.
    Mcdonalds? Was there really no other alternate choice? Ive managed to not eat a fastfood burger joint since Jan 2010

Thursday for lunch you had chicken, french fries, and a big salad. You are going to be surprised the french fries aren't that bad for you. You ruined your whole meal with the salad by using way to much dressing. what you should have done differently
    increased the chicken you ate from 2 oz to 3 or 4 oz limited your salad dressing intake to less then 100 cals either by finding a different brand or eating less of it. Instead of putting it on the salad. measure it and put it in a cup on the side and dip your fork tines in the dressing before poking your fork into the salad. you will use almost nothing this way and still taste the dressing in every bite.

i see lots of cookies and brownies Those need to be treats. Not daily treats once a week treats. Eat more
    Real Food and less crap

Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    A - artificial sweeteners & colors
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - organic lean protein (organic is not important)
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its true you can still eat some naughty things while dieting and not restrict yourself, but you cant do it every day at every meal.

Big Bold mistakes I see.
    Mcdonalds? Was there really no other alternate choice? Ive managed to not eat a fastfood burger joint since Jan 2010

Thursday for lunch you had chicken, french fries, and a big salad. You are going to be surprised the french fries aren't that bad for you. You ruined your whole meal with the salad by using way to much dressing. what you should have done differently
    increased the chicken you ate from 2 oz to 3 or 4 oz limited your salad dressing intake to less then 100 cals either by finding a different brand or eating less of it. Instead of putting it on the salad. measure it and put it in a cup on the side and dip your fork tines in the dressing before poking your fork into the salad. you will use almost nothing this way and still taste the dressing in every bite.

i see lots of cookies and brownies Those need to be treats. Not daily treats once a week treats. Eat more
    Real Food and less crap

Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water

:) LOVE the Eat less CRAP and Eat more FOOD!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Agreed your breakfast could be 175 calories less a day if you get rid of the creamer -- if you can't go black just use a tad of skim milk.

Stay away from WW -- soooooooo much sodium
  • crobertson87
    crobertson87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eat more
    Real Food and less crap

Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water

I have never seen this and it is so cute and so true written out that way. Makes me want to make a big poster for my kitchen!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What they all said.....and, DRINK MORE WATER! Lots and lots...a gallon a day is not too much. At the minimum 64 oz. Very important.
  • mszebra
    Options
    The creamer def. stuck out to me. and the fast food.
  • thedrummer1978
    thedrummer1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Big Bold mistakes I see.

Real Food and less crap

Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water

Well said!
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Holy Sauces Batman! That's a lot for coffee creamer, salad dressing, maple syrup... sheesh. I spend my calories like I spend my money. If I going to pay for it, it better be worth it. Coffee creamer isn't giving you anything of value back. Spend those on some fruit instead. I like cookies... no I LOVE cookies. So I make my own and I make oatmeal cookies with whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chips. They are to die for, full of whole grains, fiber, and well.. .chocolate. They are a naughty treat that isn't just empty calories. Start thinking in terms of the quality of your calories. Like Michael Pollen said:

Eat Food, not a lot, mostly plants.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can relate to having a sweet tooth. I love my sweets, however; I will burn my intake of chocolate and junk by getting on the treadmill and burning those calories off of me. I make the conscience decision every day that if I eat snacky junk then I go to the gym and burn it off. NO MATTER WHAT.

What has this done for me? Well, instead of shoving 2-3 chocolate brownies and a piece or two of chocolate in my mouth a day (yes, I was that bad), I limit it to ONE brownie/cookie or a couple of pieces of chocolate (as in small Dove Promises or little fun size pieces). Then I go to the gym and burn 350-400 calories, which is more calories burned than the calories in those little treats that I've eaten.

I've also turned to eating those little Cutie oranges. Man, those are an awesome snack. It satisfies my sweet tooth most of the time.

I've also discovered the Luna protein bars that are very chocolatey. On the weekends when I work out first thing in the morning (after a small healthy breakfast, of course), I will have a Luna protein bar. It's 170 calories, protein, chocolately and sweet. I do this to reward myself for working out.

Other than that, I've cut out almost all the processed crap and bad carbs from my diet. I eat more lean protein and veggies. I've learned to drink my coffee black and drink lots more water. No soda, no diet drinks, no artifical sweeetener.

Dieting is not purgatory. You can be successful, but if you want to snack then you really need to exercise and burn off those extra calories.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Big Bold mistakes I see.

Real Food and less crap

Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water

If organic isn't important, you've spelled FOLD... ;-)
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I agree that a lot of the calories are coming from what I call "extra" foods. 5TBSP of creamer is excessing and I used to do it too. Now I do just a splenda and no creamer (definitely an acquired taste) or 1 little creamer for about 45 calories.

I think of my calories as money and I don't want to spend my calories on frivolous things all the time. A splurge now and then if it fits in is one thing but a daily thing is excessive.

Or you need to seriously up your exercise to EARN those items.

Cookies, creamer, and salad dressing are all too high.

Check out Bolthouse Farms salad dressings. You can find them in the refrigerated section by the veggies. They are yogurt based and their Honey Mustard, Thousand Island and Ranch varieties are all around 45 calories for 2 TBSP. And my full fat, non dieting hubby loves them!!!! They are a little more money but worth it. And if I go out to eat and the calories for their dressing doesn't fit what I need it to then I bring my own!!! Check them out!!!
  • bwallner1971
    bwallner1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    People are commenting on your "Unhealthy Choices" but even your "Healthy Choices" (Chobani) can be made healthier and cheaper! Look at the sugar content of the pre-made Chobani. Try mixing up 4oz no fat plain with 4 oz of frozen berries the night before. The juice will melt naturally sweetening the yogurt. You will be under 100 calories and your sugar should be under 10G. Small changes like that have helped me succeed where I have failed in the past.

Also you aren't eating any snacks. Snacks are an important part of losing try to work them into your day. Small high fiber & protein around 100 calories. (Kashi makes some great portable snacks that keep the sugar under 10g and the protein around 7g Naturally)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above me. You're eating too many calories that are condiments, etc (dressing, syrup, etc). Seems like a waste of calories to me. It also seems like you're not eating enough vegetables.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, when coffee accounts for more than 180 calories of breakfast, I don't know that it's worth it. I actually like black coffee with no sweetener, but for a treat, I sometimes mix a cup of coffee with Nestles Fat Free Cocoa mix. If I'm really feeling wild I add a little Vanilla or Caramel sugar-free Torani syrup. The cocoa is awful by itself, but makes a great "mochaccino" beverage with coffee. Flavored coffee is even better. This is 20 calories per cup--a third of ~60 or so per cup for your three cups with 5 tbsp creamer. It's a thought.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Maybe some suggestions for meals and snacks would help?

Breakfast - try two scrambled eggs with salsa made with smart balance cooking spray and a piece of Nickel bread

Lunch, nice big salad with 3-4 oz grilled chicken and vinegar or Wishbone spray dressing (comes in three flavors)

Dinner, piece of tilapia and veggies, 99% fat free ground turkey can be used in chili and tacos

Snacks, low fat plain yogurt with fresh fruit, serving of sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds

Coffee with skim milk and one sugar (or Splenda). Personally, I use International Delight Sugar Free - Coffee Creamer - French Vanilla, 2 tbsp only has 20 calories.

You have to start somewhere, start by cutting out the cookies and cakes, and fast food, all they do is trick the brain into wanting more. Try to balance out your protein and carbs each day - protein keeps you full longer.
  • GardenKat99
    Options
    LOVE this! Will be using it Eat less CRAP and better FOOD
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters' suggestions. Portion control is really important and you can actually eat more throughout the day that way and consistently feel full rather than eating just three meals, feel like you're starving in between and then over eating at the next meal.

I can't drink coffee without creamer either, but I limit myself to just one cup of coffee with one tablespoon of creamer that is 35 calories (which looks like you have a similar creamer with the same calorie amount) and along with that I would try eating breakfast with more protein like two to three scrambled egg whites with salsa and toast. That is only about 190 calories with one cup of coffee with creamer. Or something like Kashi Go Lean cereal with lowfat milk (I actually use soy but that's a personal preference) and some blueberries or other fruit in it.

Snacks for me tend to consist of protein shakes or bars, but you can have some fruit or light yogurt instead.

For lunch and dinner, try having lean and green meals consisting of 4 to 5 ozs of lean meats and then 1 cup or so of vegetables or salad. Also agree with the one poster about putting the salad dressing on the side and dipping your fork into it. It works wonders! You can shave off a lot of calories that way and will find over time you don't even need very much dressing. I personally love to make mock mashed potatoes, feels like I'm eating the real thing with less calories and carbs.

If you feel like you need something sweet after dinner, try switching to 100 calories snacks like laughing cow ice cream or they also have 100 calorie brownies and what not. I don't usually have much of a sweet tooth but that has helped me out in a pinch. I also like to have the granola thins with chocolate on one side. Very yummy and only 90 calories.

There are also a ton of options for fast food, if you're in a hurry. I try to look up places before I go and then map out what I'm going to eat there. I tend to order off the kid's menu a lot because I found that is actually closer to a normal person's portion size compared to the other servings they have.

If you want recipes for any thing or suggestions on healthier options to switch to while eating out, please message me and I'd be happy to send you some stuff!

Best of luck to you!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Eat less crap:
    C - carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugars
    P - processed foods

Eat more food:
    F - fruits & veggies
    O - omega 3 fatty acids
    D - drink water

Love this! :flowerforyou: