Random phone call

Options
cuddlyrunner
cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
I like to think that I listen to people's problems when asked but was surprised to answer the phone just now to hear from an Indian sounding gentleman, "I've had a row with my girlfriend but not to worry, we're going out tonight so I hope it will be alright." Then he hung up!
But now I want to know what they rowed about, where are they going and will they make up?? :-)

Replies

• DawnieCurz
    DawnieCurz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lol he must have got you mixed up with the samaritans !!! I hope he does phone back and let you know how he got on !!
  • cuddlyrunner
    Options
    I'm just sitting here wondering if they are in the pub right now and how they are getting on!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    LOL! I wonder if he was drunk.... and whom he thought he was calling?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    what in the heck is a 'row'?
  • cuddlyrunner
    Options

really??? It's an argument lol.

He sounded in a rush like he just wanted to give the info and get off the phone.
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    I've been on the opposite end. I was trying to locate someone and called the wrong number on Christmas Eve. An older man answered, and I could tell he didn't have anyone else there with him, so we chatted for a few minutes and I wished him a Merry Christmas.
  • kealambert
    Options

really??? It's an argument lol.

He sounded in a rush like he just wanted to give the info and get off the phone.

never heard the term in my life. either way, it's weird
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    LOL, I had no idea what a row was either. Thought they were in a canoe or something :)
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    LOL, I had no idea what a row was either. Thought they were in a canoe or something :)

Must be a British thing
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Must be a British thing

It is an English thing (I was told they are not one in the same), and it is pronounced ROU, like THOU, and not ROW, like THOUGH. Just giving my $.02.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

that's what I thought, too... hmm, weird to call and tell a stranger that, then hang up.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thats the stupid english langauge for you spelt 'row' but pronouncd more like 'raow' im finding it hard to spell the sound lol there are so many homophones.. no wonder its the hardeest language to learn supposedly
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Must be a British thing

It is an English thing (I was told they are not one in the same), and it is pronounced ROU, like THOU, and not ROW, like THOUGH. Just giving my $.02.

interesting
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    A wrong number caller got my house one day, and the phone was answered by my grade-schooler who was studying US geography at the time. I heard her say, "Oh, no, Virginia is far, FAR away!" and then she hung up on the poor lady.

Another time she answered and got a guy who immediately knew he called the wrong house and apologized. She said, "Oh, that's okay, our right number is........recited our phone number and hung up on him, too!

I really do work on phone etiquette. It just took better with some of my kids than with others.
  • cuddlyrunner
    Options
    Well, although I shall never know the outcome of the young man's evening I have at least learned that row is not a universally known word. It can also mean a great deal of noise as in making a row.
  • kealambert
    Options

Must be a British thing

I was presuming it might have been a colloquialism