Trusting MFP Calorie Burns

Options
Alright, mass o' strangers... I have read many time NOT to trust MFP Calorie Burns because "they are always off."
Couple of questions...

1. Is MFP normally higher or lower than the actual rate?

2. Are there certain exercise groups more notoriously off base... Like can I trust the Walking rate but not the Elliptical, or visa verse?

3. If I do not have the money for a HRM and believe my Elliptical machine has been lying to me from the beginning about calories burned, is there a reliable source in which to calculate calories burned?

(*Note- I have searched online for a 'good' calculator and seem to land on crap for the most part.) Any ideas?

Replies

• Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have found for me that the MFP is close. Since I got a hrm, yes I see a little variance (hrm says I burn 5-7% more) but for me that just validates that MFP is close enough for me.

I also wonder if since I am 80lbs over my " healthy weight" it may be different that for someone who is nearer their "helthy weight".

But for me, I've been encouraged. Everything I have compared against for me, validates that MFP is on track.

EDIT to add: My stationary bike has a counter but now entry for age, height, weight... so I just ignore it altogether.
  • slimeric200
    slimeric200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Almost across the board, mfp is too high on exercise. I have an eliptical where you can put your weight in as well as calculating heart rate etc. Mfp gave me 831 calories for 50 minutes. The machine calculated 600 which I think is much more realistic. Walking credit is also off about the same percentage. I focus more on time and heart rate and reward myself with maybe a skinny cow sandwich. Don't need to fill in the exercise calories with lots of food.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    I can't afford a good HRM right now, and that's the only type I want;) I do believe the count is fairly close. Maybe a little higher than what I actually burn, but I stay mindful of calorie count.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My elliptical says I burn 1500+ calories per 60 min workout. So I kinda stopped believing it altogether.. MFP says 850 for the same workout yet has no idea what kind of resistance I'm working at...
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    MFP is low on mine. However, I go at a very hard pace...very intense
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    MFP is much higher, by 25-30% I have found since starting to use a HRM
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    MFP is crazy low on mine. I've noticed since I got a HRM (polar ft7) that I must be working way harder than the "average" person just to do my slow runs - MFP is usually off by about -20%!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I find MFP is way high on elliptical burns. It's about 200-300 calories more than what the machine says, and about 400-500 higher than my HRM. If I ate back all those exercise calories I'd be gaining weight now.
  • Dizdazdoz
    Dizdazdoz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be honest neither MFP or HRM will calculate your higher metabolic rate after exercising where your body is buring calories at a higher rate anyway. So, I have simply relied on MFP for exercise on the street (Running/ walking) and the machine for whatever I do at the gym.

Ultimately I think that it's as close as we need it to be and use it as you need to. Good luck :-)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Too high/too low -- who cares?! ....... I'm losing weight using MFP estimates, so I don't figure I need a high tech gadget to tell me the absolutely exact number of calories I burn (which they don't actually do either). I do, however, always "lowball" my burn figures. Hope this helps.

Good luck.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MFP is "close enough" to be accurate for me, although some of the exercises, like Elliptical, can't be right any more then a broken clock since, like you said, it has no way of knowing if you're going 3mph or 8mph, at zero resistance or all the way. For everyday life stuff like cleaning, I only log it if I'm doing MAJOR cleaning, and only log half of it at most.

The only way to really know is by trying it. If you're using the estimates provided by MFP and you're getting the results you want, then they're close enough to being right. If not, then you have to tweak things a little.

Even though I probably closest fit the description for sedentary, I needed to have myself set to lightly active to get enough base calories. I have a little bit higher muscle mass and lower body fat than the typical woman my age, height and weight, so that earns me a little more calories.
  • Mmissy104
    Options
    Mfp is sometimes high, sometimes lower. I think it depends more on how hard you are trying. I have a polar ft7 (got it on ebay for 40$) And I can do the same work out twice, if I bust my butt I might burn 600 cal but if I kinda half-A** it I might only burn 400. So I think thats why mfp is off sometimes. If you look on ebay, or if your local area has craigslist, you can find a good HRM for a good price. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    the machine and the elliptical put me at 1500+ for a 60 min burn...and MFP puts me at 1100. it's close to the truth. i weigh almost 300lbs (very big guy, not insanely overweight) and i push very hard. if MFP is telling me less calories, that's fine because i'm still trying to drop some weight. :)

let's face it though...2 people on an elliptical....one is at minimal resistance bee bopping along...the other is at max resistance tearing it up....MFP will log them both the same. there's no way MFP could know without more variables.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Mfp is sometimes high, sometimes lower. I think it depends more on how hard you are trying. I have a polar ft7 (got it on ebay for 40$) And I can do the same work out twice, if I bust my butt I might burn 600 cal but if I kinda half-A** it I might only burn 400. So I think thats why mfp is off sometimes. If you look on ebay, or if your local area has craigslist, you can find a good HRM for a good price. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap.
    ^^^ This!
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    MFP is low on mine. However, I go at a very hard pace...very intense

^ yeah that. And I have an HRM that tells me my real number.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT40 HRM and i burn slightly more jogging and doing dvds then MFP gave me, and for walking, i burn less then MFP gave me, so it basically balanced out overall...

I am at healthy weight for me and half decently fit...
  • Broncsoup
    Broncsoup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've found my treadmill and MFP to be about the same. Today I was on a stationary bike for the first time and MFP was a lot higher than the stationary bike I was on by about 2X. So I gave myself half of what MFP was to be on the safe side. The stationary bike didn't adjust for my weight, but It's a stationary bike, it's not like I'm pushing my weight through the wind or lifting it all like I would if I was running.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    It's really just an average based on average weight and age and intensity. If someone is only going at level 1 on any machine, MFP will be too high vs someone going at level 10 or higher MFP will be too low.

MFP is always too low for me because I do very high intensity. I would suggest picking the lower of the 2 between the machine and MFP. It's better to under calculate your exercise and over calculate your food.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's pretty accurate when running for me, as it should be. You can imput your speed, distance along w/ weight and age and it should be about right on. I can honestly care less one way or the other, as long as I see my weight decreasing as it, it works for me.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've found running to be the most accurate on MFP (and I'd guess walking too....since you calcuate your MPH)....Elliptical and Bike...MFP tends to overestimate by burn by about 30% compared to my Polar F4.