Bulimia

Options
For the first time ever, I am admitting I have an eating disorder. I have not told my husband this and I am now seeking support. I binge and purge at least once a day. I blame it on stress in my life. My father had a massive brain injury in August and my life got turned upside down. I am often feeling depressed and turn to food. Of course I feel guilty after that and purge. I know how detrimental this is to my body and need to stop for my health. I want to be around when my kids grow up because I now know the pain of having a disabled parent.
I know that many of you will tell me to see a doctor for this. I just wanted to get it off of my chest for the first time so I can begin my healing.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to wish you well, and hope you are able to get to the doctor soon to start working on this.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Get help before it is to late and you do irreputable damage to your body. I am not trying to be preachy but I lost my best friend to anorexia when we were only in high school. So this subject is very sensitive. I hope that you do seek help, and work on getting better it will be a life long battle but you can do it. I believe in you. Best wishes.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Congrats on admitting it! I was bulimic 5 to 6 years. It was hard not to do but with a lot of prayer and will power i conquered it! It wasnt easy! I didnt see a dr. Now you can only decide what you need to do? Ask yourself what type of role model do you want to be for your kids?
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since posting this, I am proud to say that I have not binged! I am planning out all of my food for the day. I feel hungry or want to binge, I grab a glass of lemon water. This week my uncle committed suicide then his son got in a bad car wreck. I am doing exceptionally well in handling my emotions. Thank you for your support!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I support you. I'm sorry your life has been stressed out with these tragedes recently. Its really good just to say it out loud. Because now you can get better, and not have it a secret any longer. What helped me stop was just "Allowing Myself To Eat Enough" to start with. Its okay to eat. Eat, Move, Drink Water, Get Support, Log it... You can do it. I support you. :) I'm not super religous but, was raised in a private jr high school, and went to church from time to time.. But you know... sometimes praying to your higher power, really does give you strenght to overcome. I do reccomend it. It really helped me. Congradulations on begining a heathier life. I'm rooting for you. :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I was bulimic from age 9 until 3 years ago. I got pregnant and didn't want to harm the baby so this was motivation to stop. I did seek therapy as well but that wasn't for me. I just used my own motivation for my daughter not to see me like that. hugs to you...please be honest with your dh about it. Mine was a great source of support.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well done, and congratulations on your honesty. Keep letting us know how you are doing. Don''t worry if you relapse - it is all part of recovery. Good luck on your journey. x
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the courage it took for you to come to a public forum and admit such a private struggle. I wish you well in your recovery. :flowerforyou:
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on admitting it. Like everyone says first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I've struggled with Bulimia since I've been 14. I am pretty much over it now but I still have some problems when I eat things I don't think are healthy. The best way for me to control it is to control the purging. I know its hard but you can do it. :]

Of course going to someone to talk about it might help as well.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You are taking steps in the right direction! You are a unique human being created by God and you are worth the effort it will take to get better. I prayed for you today.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    I'm glad you admitted this to someone other than yourself. The first step to recovery from something like this is admitting you have a problem. Sometimes life throws you curveballs (as you have described here), and you have dealt with the current ones quite well so far. Keep up what you have been doing and make sure you seek out other people in your life to help you get better and support you, such as your husband and family.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The first step is admitting you have a problem and you've done it so well done, really this is such a massive step forward.
    I don't have bulimia because I don't binge, but I do purge. I'm in recovery for anorexia. I've been suffering with it from the age of six and I have spent most of my life in hospital. I have had alot of 'recovery' periods, but I have always managed to find myself back to the beginning:(. I started back in recovery in august last year and it has been really hard, emotionally and physically, but I know that my health has to come first.
    I was put in a wheelchair because they were worried about my spine, purging consistently will paralyse you. This didn't stop me though, I was relapsing but I didn't know how to make it stop. Last july I had a miscarriage due to another relapse. Then in december I had a premature baby but because she was really poorly she didn't make it. My doctor said he believes the cause for this was because my body isn't strong enough to cope. He has said there's a 90% chance I can't have children again and to be honest that was the worst pain I have ever experienced. I work in a nursery because I adore children, from a young age I have always known I want to be a mummy so the possibility of having that taken away is unimaginable.
    I am trying so so hard because I want a family. I want children more than anything in the world, I couldn't live with myself if I just didn't keep trying. I need this, I don't have anything else.
    I have such amazing support from my mum and younger sister, etc, and I think maybe telling your husband would really help you. I think not only could it actually bring you closer together, but he would be there for you to lean on, which you will need, trust me. My family are always encouraging me because most of the time I want to give up because it's too hard and I'm scared but they keep me going.
    Your husband married you in sickness and health, tell him, he would want to be there to support you. If your husband was ill, wouldn't you want to know. I know how hard it is telling someone you have an eating disorder, I mean I struggled telling my ex before we started going out but he helped me alot in the beginning, he was my rock.
    I think going to a doctor would also be a good idea, there are alot of tools they could offer you, therapy, weekly check ups, etc.
    Ultimately, you can't recover for someone else because what happens if you fall out? This has to be for you. Remember as hard as this is, no one else can take this away for you, you have you want to recover for you. It will take determination and strength but I know you can get there.
    I hope maybe I helped somehow and take care.

Tasha
    xxx
  • Karishma1996
    Options
    hate my bulimia. i eat only because i know i can vomit it all out again.
    today i had a wake up call though.
    the sink got clogged (absolutely gross i know) and my parents were downstairs. i had a breakdown in the bathroom and panicked. i searched all over the house for the plunger but when i came back, the sink was clear. i was so close to having to tell my parents, and ill use this stroke of luck to tell me this had to end.
    but its still so hard to quit. and i hate myself for not being able to let go.