Back to Marine Corps shape

Options
So, back not too many years ago I was able to run three miles in 19 minutes, do 100 crunches in a minute, and 17 dead hang pull ups. Today, I can get to the refrigerator in about 20 seconds, have trouble tying my shoes, and hate pulling myself out of bed. I am sick of feeling this way and have made it a point to be able to run 3 miles again. I have signed up for the Semper Fit Marine Corps 5k on May 20th. Today starts week one day one of the couch to 5k program.

This is going to suck, but has to be done. Right now I am around 260 lbs and 5'11. I want to be back to 180lbs in the future and fit into my Dress Blues again. Join me and help me make this a reality!!! Feel free to add me!!!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    That's a very worthy goal! This is a great place to stay motivated, too :smile:
  • christelleigh7877
    Options
    Semper Fi and best of luck to you! I've had my fair share of weight ups and downs since I got out a couple of years ago. I even had issues when I was in ironically. Alot of down time. But now I'm only looking to lose less than 10 pounds but I know it can be a struggle. Believe it or not, Weight Watchers helped me shed almost 48 pounds and I've kept it off for about 4 years now. I only struggle with those pesky 10 pounds that keep fluctuating. Keep it up!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    So, back not too many years ago I was able to run three miles in 19 minutes, do 100 crunches in a minute, and 17 dead hang pull ups. Today, I can get to the refrigerator in about 20 seconds, have trouble tying my shoes, and hate pulling myself out of bed. I am sick of feeling this way and have made it a point to be able to run 3 miles again. I have signed up for the Semper Fit Marine Corps 5k on May 20th. Today starts week one day one of the couch to 5k program.

This is going to suck, but has to be done. Right now I am around 260 lbs and 5'11. I want to be back to 180lbs in the future and fit into my Dress Blues again. Join me and help me make this a reality!!!

it will NOT suck! It will be rough, but it will be AWESOME
  • keilasdaddy
    Options
    Pinuplove, you are right, it certainly is! So much motivation here!!!
    Cristelleigh, Thank you and Semper FI!!! Congratulations on your success!!! Glad to see another Jarhead on here!
    kealambert, thank you for the reminder, it will be awesome once I cross that finish line!!
  • keilasdaddy
    Options
    Getting closer and closer to time to go attempt to run! Argh!!!!
  • phoenixheat
    Options
    Congrats on taking the steps to rediscover yourself. I wish you all the best during your journey. Anyone is welcome to add me for support (and I can use some too!).
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    :mad: Hoorahhhhh!!! Get 'em, Marine!!! I would love to get back in Army infantryman shape!!! Come on, killer! We can do this!!!:angry:
  • w292737
    Options
    You can do it!! My goal is getting back to Army Shape. I hope I can do it!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    :mad: Hoorahhhhh!!! Get 'em, Marine!!! I would love to get back in Army infantryman shape!!! Come on, killer! We can do this!!!:angry:

I agree with TDaddy.....You CAN do this. I'm a Marine wife and know many, many Marines from Iwo Jima vets to the present. I haven't met one single Marine yet that's not as tough as nails! Devil Dogs can do ANYTHING they set their mind to. My husband lost 35 pounds and now weighs as much as he did as an active duty Marine. I have lots of friends who have done the C25K and were amazed at the results. Just get out there, hit the pavement, and get it done! I believe in YOU!

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." Ooh Rah! Semper Fi!
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hooyah Marine (sorry, I'm Navy haha). You can so do this! Just gotta find that fighting spirit again! There's nothing more worth fighting for than yourself, your family, and your health.
  • semperfibullies
    semperfibullies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oohrah devil! I'm on the same path, trying to get back down to my fighting weight. Good luck and semper fi.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Semper fi and good luck to you... having a goal like a run scheduled is a great way to start off!! Good luck! Keep us all posted on your progress!!
  • lindamrose
    Options
    C25K is an awesome program and I ran my first 5k 2 weekends ago because of it. Stay the course, it's so worth it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You can do this! My hubby is in the same boat...trying to get back to his Navy shape. He's just completed the CT5K and is working on the 10K now, and I love the spring in his step!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

This is going to suck, but has to be done. Right now I am around 260 lbs and 5'11. I want to be back to 180lbs in the future and fit into my Dress Blues again. Join me and help me make this a reality!!! Feel free to add me!!!

I'm doing C25K and am working toward a 5K on May 4th. I participated last year as well. Last time I walked the whole thing in just over an hour. This year I am aiming toward the goal of running the whole distance with a finish time of 40-45minutes. I'm about 45lbs lighter than I was last year, but I'm still 260lbs @ 5'4" so I'd like to lose another 20-30lbs before race day. Here's to getting stronger! :drinker: And remember, Pain is weakness leaving the body!" :angry: <
    That's my tough-girl Marine face. LOL
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Semper Fi!! I'm trying to get back in Marine Corps shape myself. Where is the Marine Corps 5k at, I'm guessing not in Texas...
    10036 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully! I have a sort of similar goal, but not getting back to military shape. I was a gymnast for 12 years and miss how I was then physically. It's hard to explain...maybe some people will know what I mean, but I want to feel light again. The sport's all about supporting your own body weight, and I felt like I didn't weigh a thing doing push-ups, hand-stands, etc...Now I feel like a person shaped dumbbell. Sigh.