Are you sticking to/or under the calories suggested?

Options
I'm consistently a little over the 1200 calories mark that has been set for me but should still be losing according to MFP. I'm over about 200 calories on average. I was just curious how closely most of you stick to the recommended calories suggested per day and the results you are seeing even if you are a bit over regularly...

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I find I average out pretty good. A few days ago I was over by 236 but yesterday because of a hardy cardio exercise day I was under 117. As long as you exercise regularly it should average out pretty consistently.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I set my calories to 1250, but some days I spike, so the average tends to be around 1500 a day.
  • anissaek
    anissaek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone that has been doing this for a while, say 6 months or more that can say how this has been going for them?
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Hey I've been on here for about 10 months now! I'd have to say that 6 out of 7 days I stick to my suggested calorie count. I started out at around 1400, lowered it to 1200, and now I'm up to 1300 because I've been gaining a lot of muscle mass.

I've definitely had a lot of luck with this as long as I exercise regularly. I used to go to the gym 3 days a week but since my plateau I've been going 4-5 times a week.

Definitely steady weight loss! I've lost almost 25 lbs now. I'm 5'5 and started out at 152 and now I'm 129. :)
  • themegannelson
    Options
    My strategy is to stay within an "acceptable" range of my caloric intake; about 200 either way. I prefer to look at my "weekly goal" and try to stay under there. I have good days, I have bad days but overall my weeks aren't ever too bad!
  • ryannpem
    ryannpem Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of really bad days this week. I typically try to stay at about 100 calories over my daily calorie allowance. I do not like that you can't adjust your daily calories needed on this site manually. I met with a dietician and she recommended that I increase my calories by 100 each day. I of course then went in to try and do this and realized that the option to adjust the calories was not available....
  • netty1959
    Options
    hi hun, i find that if yer calories tally up at the end of each week it works ok
    for instance if yer were on 1500 a day x by 7 =10500 a week
    total your full week calories up if your under it is ok you will still lose weight.
    this may not work for everyone but it works for me
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    You can definitely adjust your calories. Go to goals - customize yourself - and in there you can manually adjust! I've done this a few times.
  • thornbhs
    Options
    How long did it take you guys to start losing weight when you started this??
  • fcnrn2010
    fcnrn2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am like Megan...as long as the weekly goal is met and I stay within an "acceptable" range of my caloric intake, I could go 200 cal either way depending on my exercise.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 cals a day or worked out and ate some workout cals back for 8 months and lost 49 lbs :) I didn't really ever go over the 1200 plus the workout cals.

It worked that's for sure! A great walk burn some cals if you are still hungry.

Good luck.
  • pb6012002
    Options
    I seem to be under my calories every day or at most right below them. I have my days where I want to pick, but all in all I feel pretty full all day long.
  • anissaek
    anissaek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, everyone has been very helpful. I haven't lost yet but I've only been doing this for a few weeks. Sounds like I need to push for 1200 not 1400 ;-).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of really bad days this week. I typically try to stay at about 100 calories over my daily calorie allowance. I do not like that you can't adjust your daily calories needed on this site manually. I met with a dietician and she recommended that I increase my calories by 100 each day. I of course then went in to try and do this and realized that the option to adjust the calories was not available....
    Of course it is. My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom