Qunioa? Is it good?

Options
Your thoughts...

Replies

• lackofnames3
    lackofnames3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Its so expensive I dont get it..but Ive head very opposing opinions on it. One loved it and another said it tasted like dirt. Guess it depends on the quality and what it is prepared with
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If by good you mean does it taste good, then I'd say yes. My husband likes it more than I, but we both like it. He absolutely loves the red quinoa. I don't find it as versatile as brown rice, but in some dishes it's works very nicely. If by good you mean healthy, then yes. It is a healthy food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's delicious, but you have to rinse it off first because the the outer coating of it is kinda soapy.

i usually make mine in chicken broth. it used to be much cheaper a few years ago but now that it's become more popular it's more expensive :mad:
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well Gillian McKeith loves it and is always going on about it so I bought a bag. Never again. It's not a food with much taste. I stick to brown rice which is much nicer. I'm sure it is very good for you though.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes. It has has nine essential amino acids per serving. It can be expensive. I bought mine at Costco at $10 (it was a bag of 4lbs). I usually cook it with carrots, celery, and beans or mix 50/50 with brown rice. Some recipes can be tasteless but overall, I do like it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I make a quinoa pilaf that is soooo good (and my husband likes it too-not just me!). I cook the quinoa in chicken broth (no rinsing) and while it's cooking I saute veggies in a little bit of EVOO (usually onions, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, celery) til crisp tender, add in 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds and 1/4 cup craisins. Mix that in with the quinoa and it's great hot or cold. Never tried it plain but I don't really like just plain rice either.
  • jilaneeaf
    Options
    Thanks you guys!
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like the Far East (or is it Near East I can't remember) quinoa mixes. It's a mix with brown rice and seasonings. Really good and my kids like it also.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you like dirt, you'll love Quinoa.
  • mixdouble
    mixdouble Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes. It has has nine essential amino acids per serving. It can be expensive. I bought mine at Costco at $10 (it was a bag of 4lbs). I usually cook it with carrots, celery, and beans or mix 50/50 with brown rice. Some recipes can be tasteless but overall, I do like it.
    Thanks, I've been looking for ways to use this. Doc recommends but doesn't have recipies. What kind of beans do you use?
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    It's awful if you throw an old box out, the bag splits and it spills down three flights of stairs -_-

I personally didn't like the taste too much.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    We like it, and what is better is that our kids like it! It has become a staple in our house over the last couple of weeks and is worth the bit of extra we pay for it.
  • cryslynne79
    cryslynne79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Qunioa works great as an alternative for coucous in Tabouli Salad. Also a great option to add to a Greek salad.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try "pasta" made out of Quinoa. It's pricy, but I'm in love with Anelli-it's these colorful tiny little cirlces made out of quinoa & dyed with vegetables. So good! And it's really not that expensive if you eat the suggested amount, and not half the bag, like I used to do lol
  • jessww
    jessww Posts: 10
    Options
    I love this stuff!

Lots of people make the mistake of not rinsing which results in the bitter/dirt taste. It helps to cook it in broths as mentioned earlier. Or even trying it with a tomato sauce and adding some veggies is a REAL nice treat (: all about the prep!
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I find that it can be very versitile. I use it in; salads,side dishes,and dessert. Used it at work before for quite awhile, but didn't realize how beneficial for you it is. I will post some of my new experiment recipes soon. I hate how expensive it is also, recently paid. 90cents/100 grams.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I found a smallish bag (3 servings) of frozen quinoa at Trader Joes the other day (Quinoa Duo with Roasted Vegatable Melange -- I think?!) and it was super delish. Now that I know I like it, I'll buy a box of plain and make my own but I'll still probably keep some of the pre-cooked, pre seasoned stuff in the freezer for a quick meal.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love the stuff. We buy the big bag @ Costco. We've been using it for breakfast cereal (cooked with almond milk, vanilla, and dried fruit). This week my wife also got a recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker for Spanish Quinoa, which is fantastic. We're currently looking for more new ways to try it.