salads

Options
Love a good salad, lettuce, spinach, cauliflower.....
Just looking for some new ideas for toppings..your suggestions are appreciated.
Vanessa

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite salads:

Baby spinach (or you can use a spring mix)
    Apple, chopped
    Celery, chopped
    Balsamic vinaigrette dressing (Litehouse brand is my fav)
    Dried cranberries
    Pecans

Really tasty! You can also mix up the apples, celery and cranberries with the balsamic dressing and leave it over night. The apples stay crisp and then just mix in the spinach and pecans when you're ready to eat it.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like to slice up carrots, zucchini, celery, whatever veggies I get in my produce delivery. Also small peppers. I also like to add high protein foods like edamame or sprouted mung beans, baked tofu, sunflower seeds. Stuff like that.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Apple, chopped
    Celery, chopped
    Dried cranberries
    Pecans

Really tasty! You can also mix up the apples, celery and cranberries with the balsamic dressing and leave it over night. The apples stay crisp and then just mix in the spinach and pecans when you're ready to eat it.

I make something similar with chopped apples, walnuts, gorgonzola, dried cranberries and a raspberry vinaigrette. Yum!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try it with the gorgonzola! That sounds really good.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some things I love:

Artichoke hearts
    Chick peas
    Sundried Tomatoes
    Feta Cheese
    Hearts of Palm
    Hardboiled egg
    Deli meats (turkey/ham)
    Black beans
  • atownsend84
    atownsend84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just googled this a week ago, I should have looked here! This is what I recently put together:

Lettuce (spring mix&spinach- lots of nutrients)
    Broccoli and cauliflower
    Cucumber
    Shredded Carrots
    Banana Pepper rings -hot or mild to your taste
    Rotisserie chicken -only 1 or 2 ounces, it could have been any kind of chicken, this was just quick and available :smile:
    Light ranch- only 2 tablespoons

I can not stand a plain, boring salad. This was delicious! And not too many calories.
  • vschwoob
    vschwoob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all the ideas. I will be tryjng some of these suggestions.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have just started using 1% cottage cheese instead of dressing. It saves me 100's of calories and blows me away how good it is. I had a hard time trying it cause I just didn't think I could ever replace ranch dressing but now I actually prefer it!
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I always add some bacos. They're low in calories and have a satisfying crunch and flavor
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't like fancy salads, so mine is pretty basic: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot and onion, a bit of french dressing.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    hardboiled egg, reduced fat or fat free feta or bleu cheese, avocados
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Options
    I love salads with all kinds of things on them. One of my MFP friends uses Cheerios on her salads, she says they are her new croutons! I bought Cheerios specifically for that, but haven't tried it, yet. She uses the Multigrain ones.
  • bjcomiskey
    Options
    Slivered almonds Are good. Crumbled blue cheese has such a strong flavor that a very little bit goes a long way to enhance a salad. Mandarin oranges are good, too.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I saw on one of the posts for salad dressing mix plain Greek yogurt with dry Ranch salad dressing to give you Ranch dressing without all the calories - I bought both today have not tried it yet.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I love salads with all kinds of things on them. One of my MFP friends uses Cheerios on her salads, she says they are her new croutons! I bought Cheerios specifically for that, but haven't tried it, yet. She uses the Multigrain ones.

Great idea!
  • mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have just started using 1% cottage cheese instead of dressing. It saves me 100's of calories and blows me away how good it is. I had a hard time trying it cause I just didn't think I could ever replace ranch dressing but now I actually prefer it!

I like this idea! I think I will try it next time I get groceries. Thanks for the tip :)
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad- greens (whichever I have in the fridge), low fat cheese (again, whatever I have), seedless cucumber, apple, walnuts, a little hummus and Tarator sauce as a dressing.
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Apple, chopped
    Celery, chopped
    Dried cranberries
    Pecans

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^but with it, I add crumbled feta cheese. :bigsmile:
  • PamTheChallenger
    Options
    Baby spinach, pineapple chunks, fresh strawberry halves, raisins, walnuts, rasberry vinegarette dressing
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My favorite is

spinach leaves
    hard boiled egg
    raisins
    sunflower seeds
    tomato
    cucumber
    carrots/shredded cheese/crutons (If I'm up for it)
    balsamic vinegrette