Pork - Red or White?

Options
Sorry if this is a repeat. I decided I was going to stay away from red meat for the next 30 days, thinking pork would be ok, but then a friend said its actually considered a red meat. What's the skinny on this?

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Its red meat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The color it is before cooking determines what kind of meat it is. So pork is red meat.

Calling it white meat would be like calling beef "brown meat."
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a nice Shiraz....
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Pork "the other white meat" I think that is their slogan right now.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Heck yes. An IPA would be quite nice as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    what are you trying to accomplish?
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options

Or maybe a Pinot Noir? :laugh:
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options

Heck yes. An IPA would be quite nice as well.

You bet. Or maybe a Boddington's.

Dang, now I want a beer.
  • onek9lover
    Options
    Totally depends on how you are cooking it and what kind of cut. Making BBQ pork, get a nice full body like a merlot, Shiraz. Making a spice rub pork loin that's heavily seasoned go darker bolder, like malbec. Making a pork loin Not heavily season and extremely lean, go for a reisling or Chardonnay.

Oh wait... Is that what we are talking about? Damn I got excited
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    can you just call it pink and call it a day?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Pork Tenderloin is as lean as chicken....so I don't know. I always thought "red" meant when cooked.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like pink things....

And a full heavy Malbec sounds divine right now....
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    From Wikipedia :flowerforyou:

Given nutritional concerns, meat producers are eager to have their products considered as "white", and the United States National Pork Board has positioned their product as "Pork. The Other White Meat", alongside poultry and fish; however, meats which are red when raw and turn white on cooking, like pork, are sometimes categorized by the United States Department of Agriculture as red meats.[2] This categorization is controversial as some types of fish, such as tuna, are red when raw and turn white when cooked; similarly, certain types of poultry that are sometimes grouped as "white meat" are actually "red" when raw, such as duck and goose. The debate is mainly one of semantics as nutritionists consider all meat from mammals to be "red meat" while this is not the case in other fields such as husbandry, biology, genetics, physiology, etc.

In Israel, where Jewish dietary laws are popularly practiced, forbidding the consumption of pork, the usage of the word "hazir" ("pig" and also "pork") is taboo, "white meat" is the accepted way to refer to pork.[3]
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    In 1987 the U.S. National Pork Board began an advertising campaign to position pork as "the other white meat" — due to a public perception of chicken and turkey (white meat) as healthier than red meat. The campaign was highly successful and resulted in 87% of consumers identifying pork with the slogan. The board retired the slogan on March 4, 2011.

So, in short, it is red meat.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    In 1987 the U.S. National Pork Board began an advertising campaign to position pork as "the other white meat" — due to a public perception of chicken and turkey (white meat) as healthier than red meat. The campaign was highly successful and resulted in 87% of consumers identifying pork with the slogan. The board retired the slogan on March 4, 2011.

So, in short, it is red meat.
    And even shorter....what's it matter?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity what led you to stay away from red meat anyway? There are many very lean cuts of pork and beef.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    :huh: I thought pork was the other white meat, but if it makes you feel better to call it red, have at it. I like red meat for breakfast, bacon is da bomb!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    :huh: I thought pork was the other white meat, but if it makes you feel better to call it red, have at it. I like red meat for breakfast, bacon is da bomb!

I'm beginning to really like you...
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

I'm beginning to really like you...

:blushing:
  • ColCul
    ColCul Posts: 53
    Options

Me too!