How much time do you log when entering exercises? (sports)

Options
I play hockey and I've always been wondering...

A hockey game is around 75 minutes long, but that includes whistles and other stops and everything.
So if its 15 mins a period its about 45 mins of playing time.

But generally you only play hockey every 3rd shift, ie 1 min on ice 2 mins off.

When you log exercise, does MFP take thisinto consideration and do I log the full 45 mins or should I just log 15 or 20? It seems weird t log 15 mins of a 75 minute game..

Replies

• Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's a great question......i wonder about golf
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I play hockey and I've always been wondering...

A hockey game is around 75 minutes long, but that includes whistles and other stops and everything.
    So if its 15 mins a period its about 45 mins of playing time.

But generally you only play hockey every 3rd shift, ie 1 min on ice 2 mins off.

When you log exercise, does MFP take thisinto consideration and do I log the full 45 mins or should I just log 15 or 20? It seems weird t log 15 mins of a 75 minute game..

put on some HRM.
    I guess MFP count it accurate including whistles.
    Becasue when i put weightlifting/strenght training its 150cal/30minutes, which is preety fairly accurate (considering my 3minute rest between sets)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting question. I have no idea though! I would think that it would be actual playing time, but I could be wrong!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Compare some other exercises to get an idea of the kind of intensity you're doing.

Thirty minutes of field hockey gives me the same calorie burn as 30 minutes of steady jogging at 5mph. Now I haven't played field hockey since 7th grade gym class, and it was a complete nightmare because the mean girls kept whapping me in the shins with the sticks even though the puck wasn't anywhere near me... (sorry, flashback!) but I don't think 30 minutes of game-time was the same level of exertion as 30 minutes of jogging. But I absolutely sucked, so your mileage may vary. :wink:
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'd say count what you're actually playing. I have no idea how MFP would count it, but my guess is that it'd be for however many mins you typed in. If you log an exercise as 45mins but only actually did move for 15 of that time that's a huge calorie burn difference.
  • lotte24601
    lotte24601 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I play goalie, so it's a little different for me, but I generally credit myself with 2/3 of the game (30 minutes for three, 15 minute periods, 40 for three, 20 minute periods). Pick-up is a little tougher, since there aren't the built in breaks and they generally run much faster, so I give myself 3/4 of those. Not the most precise system, I know, but It feels about right.

When talking to friends who skate out, they generally take the full time of the game and divide by the number of lines/d-pairs (you didn't mention forward or D) in the game and use that as their skating time. Again, not the most scientific method, but it seems to come out close enough for government work.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I do judo...I used to break up the 2 hour session into 20-30 minutes calisthenics, 15-20 mins vigorous calisthenics and only 10-15 min of judo... unless the practice was more vigorous...this way I accounted for teaching times, time standing around, etc...
  • donni123
    donni123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just had the same conversation in my head last weekend about skiing. Deciding how many minutes in line, on the lift, etc. I guess a HRM would be the only way to know for sure.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with roller-skating. We went to the rink for just over 2 hours
    but every few "rounds" we'd take a rest. So, I estimated just 1 hour of skating.........
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    One of our fellow goalies has a Polar device... In a 1:15 beginner game, she burned 990 cal.