my ears hurt when i run - help!

Options
I've been starting to run with my dog, but my ears ache soooo bad after about 10 minutes, especially when it's cool outside. i want to extend my exercise time and run further distances, but i can hardly stand the ear pain. does this happen to anyone else? is there anything i can do about it?

thanks!

Replies

• fishercarrie
    Options
    Have you tried wearing ear muffs? Just a thought.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Get a hat that covers your ears...
  • suziquzi86
    Options
    Sorry guess I should have given more detail - I do wear a beanie, but it doesn't seem to help. My ears hurt when I exercise in warm weather/indoor as well, but the pain isnt quite as sharp. weird?
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You may want to go to the doctor and get them checked :) Keeping them warmer or putting cotton or ear plugs in your ears may help. Good luck!!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That is odd. I would talk to your dr. Maybe you have an ear infection or something. I hope you figure it out! :)
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    My ears *pop* when I run and sometimes talk forever to go back to normal...
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My ears hurt whether I exercise inside or outside. I have not found any relief other than after the workout is done.
  • ahkeeley
    Options
    I have the same problem when it's very cold out . I use a wide cotton band that goes around my head covering my ears. Got a pack of 4 from target in the section with the headbands and other hair accessories. It keeps my ears warm so they don't hurt without making me too hot. I know that some running stores carry Nike and other name brand head bands that might work even better, but they cost a whole lot more. Hope this solution helps you!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    my ears hurt on a chilly day paddleboarding, especially on the ocean and I'm wet. I think the earmuff or headband over your ears is a good idea.
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's probably not your ears. Could be TMJ disorder (your jaw joint). The jaw forms part of the ear canal and the brain can't figure out where the pain originates. Sharp stabbing pain is almost always related to the jaw.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This is what I was thinking.
    It's probably not your ears. Could be TMJ disorder (your jaw joint). The jaw forms part of the ear canal and the brain can't figure out where the pain originates.
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would talk to you doctor. You may have fluid that when you run causes the ear pain, if you are getting it in all types of weather. Have you ever had a significant amount of ear infections? (as a kid or an adult?) Having the doctor look at it will probably be your best bet to make sure there is not a deeper cause....

Good luck! I am sure you pup is enjoying the exercise as much as you are benefitting. I know my lil guy is!
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If your like me ear muffs are not enough; however, what does work for me is ear plugs and ear muffs (or hat over ears) together. Good luck.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Are you gritting your teeth when you run? When I first started my face was so sore and then I realized that I was gritting my teeth while going uphill or trying to pick up speed. I have TMJ so I know how bad it hurts. GL
  • Snsutherland1
    Snsutherland1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually talked to an audiologist about this once. I explained my problem, and she said that it is most likely the structure of the ear canal/eardrum. Something about tipping forward. I can't remember. But she knew what I was talking about. It has been hard to explain to anyone. Sometimes my ears will also pop. When I drink a lot of water it seems to make it go away. I have decided it is somehow related to the shape of my ear canals and hydration. They don't hurt as much if I drink as much water and they don't pop as much when doing strenuous exercise.