GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!

Options
Its that time of year again, and that temptation has once again come to plague me!! Why do those sweet little girls have to kill all of us who are tryingt to lose weight?!? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Replies

• Sr1023
    Options
    I happen to be a troop leader and have cases upon cases in my car/home. I have not touched a single one!! Instead I eat a granola bar. If you want to buy some to support the troop, donate them or as we had someone do, she asked if she could just donate the money to us.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I bought 5 boxes of caramel delights.

I got them on Tuesday and haven't eaten any yet! I can't decide if I should keep hiding them at work or hide them somewhere at home...

They are my favorite!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The story of my girl scout career! Sorry, we can't buy any, we're on diets! Ugh! I'm such a great saleswoman, I couldn't even sell girl scout cookies! LOL.

Buy a box, and pop them in the freezer. Just take a few out at a time!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whoops! 8 thin mints today but luckily I was under on calories. So tonight no healthy salad, no orange juice, just 8 thin mints. Good but not worth it in the long run. Maybe I got them out of my system....:noway:
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Caramel delights were my downfall! When they came out with teh ice cream I was in big trouble LOL. But yes one cookie as a treat here and there won't hurt as long as you count it. A funny story.... I had a friend who was in the army stationed in Iraq and he said that for some reason they had girl scout cookies coming out of their ears, literally a room full. IO could think of worse things. ;O)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    buy a box then promptly throw the garbage in the garbage where it belongs. Why cant they sell something useful like nuts or something. what is wrong with AMERICA?
  • chirichardson
    chirichardson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The story of my girl scout career! Sorry, we can't buy any, we're on diets! Ugh! I'm such a great saleswoman, I couldn't even sell girl scout cookies! LOL.

Buy a box, and pop them in the freezer. Just take a few out at a time!

Great idea. That's what I will do.
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love this sight because I can eat anything I want. We can all enjoy Girl scout cookies, not eat the whole box in one sitting (guilty in high school, but I could get away with it then). If I decide I want to have a few, I research the calories and make sure I exercise the negate the added calories. I do this with all treats that are a little higher in some measure than good foods. I just don't make a habit of it. Christmas morning we always have amaretto in our coffee, but just one and 45 minutes on the crosstrainer will take care of it.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ate my 1 box- I put the cookies in the freezer and just took 2 out at a time. Samoas- Yummy....
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    They do sell nuts. In the fall, for fall product sales. I have a crap ton of cookies in my house. I love the new lemon ones, 5 cookies is 140 calories. Not bad at all really. I'm not going to eat the Thin Mints or the Samoas. I know my limits. I'll eat the whole damn box.
  • johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Never touched them for 28 years....never tried them...then last year.....I had one of those peanut butter filled ones. Oh....my....damn.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I say, buy them, eat them, and enjoy them. Just do it in moderation! I deprive myself of absolutely nothing! I just eat a lot less of it!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating whatever I want, just much smaller portions of the junk... Only open them when you have company and are sure they will help you get rid of them. I bought 4 boxes 2 weeks ago, and have only eaten 10 cookies (lemon smiles) so far... 1 1/2 boxes are gone because I shared with friends. I have found that if I eat tons of vegetables and fruits through the day, I'm not as hungry and can just nibble on sweets when I have the urge. It is all about finding balance in your life and your diet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I say, buy them, eat them, and enjoy them. Just do it in moderation! I deprive myself of absolutely nothing! I just eat a lot less of it!

feeling deprived because you didnt eat a sugar filled treat is a self induced state of mind. I am not deprived by not eating it. My body is rewarded because I didnt eat it.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    those cookies are actually quite bad. most of them contain partially hydrogenated oils, and I believe all of them contain corn syrup, both of which are weightloss enemies. They don't even taste very good. waxy chocolate, cheap.

if you like to bake, bake homemade (not from a mix, ugh) and enjoy some real cookies. You can omit up to 1/3 the sugar in most recipes and substitute applesauce or pureed pumpkin or banana for some or all of the fat (butter/oil) in the recipe without dramatically affecting the taste.

If you don't like to bake, get your cookies at a bakery.

Girl Scouts ought to be ashamed of their products.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm sending mine off to my son who is in the Navy... treat for him and good for me.
  • marmar8302
    Options
    I have not bought any this year. I started on MFP last wednesday and they started selling them the sunday before that. Ive considered buying a box, but to limit myself to one or two a day, if that, and of course not every single day. $3.50 can last a while in your freezer when you're not eating the box in one day :) My favorite are Tagalongs :) Mmmm peanut butter!
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    The Girl Scouts have nothing to be ashamed about.

I'm pretty sure people realize the cookies are bad for you. They aren't being marketed as clean, healthy snacks. The public is not being misled.
  • petersoncl
    Options
    They are my yearly demise. Darn cookies and lack of willpower.
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    UGh! that is so funny. I had to order some from a guys kid at work and i had to get one from my little cousin. So yesterday after doing wonderful i was handed my thin mints. Me and the husband ate a sleve and i put the other in the freezer. THEN today i get the ones at work. Im like REALLY, and they are like twice as bad as the thin mints. yay for me. But i are TWO and then put those suckers UP!!!! NSV for me!!!!!!!!!!!!