1200 and Hungry

Options
13»

Replies

• Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try a small apple and sprinkle a little cinnamon on it. not a lot just a light dusting. yummy! Good luck.

This ^ add a small serving of walnuts to that for some healthy fats that will help you stay satisfied....delish!!!
  • Chereemommyof3
    Options
    Try adding more protein during the day it helps keep you from being hungry. Also if you calculate all that you do during the day ( cleaning house, going to store, walking the dog etc. ) You will find that you may have more calories to have a snack at night if the urge hits you. Hope this helps :)
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm with you; 1200 is rough. One thing that really helps me is soup...if you have a Trader Joe's nearby there's a super flavorful wonton soup in the frozen department that is 220cal and very filling; I also make a modified "egg drop/italian wedding" soup with chicken broth, egg whites, trader joe's turkey meatballs, poured over fresh spinach. Haven't done the latter in a while due to the new wonton soup that's so much easier.... :-) ) Tonight I had two servings of sugar snap peas, which were pretty filling, but tonight I am still hungry. My "easiest" days are the ones where I eat plenty of protein. 3 egg whites, a low carb flour tortilla, just a smidgen of cheese...super filling. Fage 0% greek yogurt feels indulgent yet it isn't, and you can flavor it with Torani sugar free syrup (I like raspberry.) If you are hankering for chips, look at the Coco Pop Cakes at Whole Foods- 16 cal each and you can eat three and feel like you've had chips...Zico chocolate coconut water tastes like a chocolate milk- a treat!

I have to go to bed (up at 4am tomorrow) but I'm happy to help in any way I can. Good luck!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Warning!
    eating back your workout calories is something to try, but keep in mind it does not work for everyone (myself included).
    Why doesn't it work for you?

To the OP. You're hungry because you're eating 1200 calories. I am also going to assume you're following the status quo and consume multiple meals. So, you have 6/1200= 200 calorie meals. No, wonder you're hungry. On top of the EXTRA calories you're burning via cardio, you're body is crying out for energy (hunger). Here is what you can do:

1. Increase your calorie intake via protein.
    2. Cut back on the extra activities (cardio).

Monitor your progress for 2 weeks and assess.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I agree with the others that fruits and veggies are good for snacking. When you buy it, cut it up immediately so you have it on hand instead of less effective snack foods. Make sure that 1200 isn't too low...are you exercising? Protein will keep you ful longer...my nutrition teacher says "eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner", meaning try to get the majority of your calories in the day & less in the evening & night. That being said, I get the major munchies at night. Try to chew gum...or brush your teeth. Try to assess if it is physical hunger or just your mouth wanting to taste something. If you are physically hungry, then you would probably do better eating something small. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • qtqtpie1
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses and well wishes!! Good luck to you all too!!! Your motivation helps :)
  • skinnycate85
    Options
    Warning!
    eating back your workout calories is something to try, but keep in mind it does not work for everyone (myself included).
    Why doesn't it work for you?

To the OP. You're hungry because you're eating 1200 calories. I am also going to assume you're following the status quo and consume multiple meals. So, you have 6/1200= 200 calorie meals. No, wonder you're hungry. On top of the EXTRA calories you're burning via cardio, you're body is crying out for energy (hunger). Here is what you can do:

1. Increase your calorie intake via protein.
    2. Cut back on the extra activities (cardio).

Monitor your progress for 2 weeks and assess.

I don't know WHY it doesn't work, but when I eat back my exercise calories, I don't lose weight as easily. It has been trial and error, and for me, eating back my calories was an error.

Also -- I eat 1200 - 1400 wonderful, FILLING calories a day. It all depends on the foods you choose. I happen to choose foods that keep me satisfied and not hungry :)
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think if you're hungry at all then you're not eating the right sort of foods. Nutrient dense, low calorie foods can fill you up so you never feel hungry at all.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    dill pickles are 15 calories a piece
  • skinnycate85
    Options
    I think if you're hungry at all then you're not eating the right sort of foods. Nutrient dense, low calorie foods can fill you up so you never feel hungry at all.

WORD! 1200 is FINE! :D
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit? Are you eating back your exercise cals?
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    If your body is hungry you need to feed it! The trick is to feed it with whole, natural, and nutritious foods (preferably also low calorie, which most whole foods are anyway) instead of junk food. One thing that will help with hunger significantly is reducing your sugar and fake sugar intake. Always eat back your exercise calories and consider increasing your calorie intake. I was at 1200 for a couple of weeks and was starving. I bumped up my calories to 1400 and I've been losing faster!! Not to mention I'm not a grump all the time!
  • nasima_miah
    Options
    lot's of great advice here. :happy:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am new to Myfitnesspal and I'm set at 1200 calories/ day. However, lately, I have found myself hungry late night. I have 23 calories left for the day and I am so Hungry. What can I eat that's not too much over my daily goal of 1200 calories? Thanks!

If you are hungry, make sure that 1200 is right for you as it isn't right for most people - if MFP allowed a minimum of 750, I'm sure there'd be people eating 750.

Check out your BMR and TDEE and try to eat somewhere between the two.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

Rather than simply deduct 500 or 1000 calories, you could deduct 15-20% from your TDEE

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Good luck.