Vegetarian that has lost almost 100 Pounds, but is also her

Options
2»

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant LOL :) Just for over all health :D

I wouldn't bother with the prenatal vitamins, rather i would focus on an overall balanced diet. I'm also & the only supplement I take is a vegetarian glucosamine to address some mild arthritis in my left knee. As for the hair loss, I would speak with a doctor. My diary is open and as you can see I get plenty of protein.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I don't eat eggs. Our source of protein is mainly from lots lot lentils/ legumes. But I have recently started adding protein supplement (Jay Robb's Whey protein) to my cereal which gives me 23 grams of protein per scoop.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant LOL :) Just for over all health :D

do the prenatal vitamins help stop the hair loss associated with PCOS? i'm having serious hair loss right now and although my thyroid is fine, i'm thinking i could have PCOS. how do you know or find out whether you have PCOS?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss! As for protein the quickest and easiest way is protein shakes. Some of them actually taste really good. The one I drink each day has 130 calories and 26g of protein. It's amazing! I make it with almond milk instead of water, which raises the calorie count a bit but it's so worth it. It tastes like a reese's milkshake.

The brand I have is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein, in Chocolate Peanut Butter. When I got it it was on sale at walmart and was by far the cheapest!

Good luck on your journey. I'm also vegetarian and have decided to make shakes the solution to my protein troubles. Definitely something to consider!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    bump this:glasses:
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    vega protein powder. totally vegan and high in protein, vitamins, fiber, etc... all the good stuff. vanilla chai flavor is my fav :) I get it at GNC ... but google it you can get it directly from them too. it's kinda pricey but if you use it as a meal replacement (i drink it for breakfast comes to about $2.50 a meal if it's not on sale) it is definitely worth it!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Surprising non-meat sources of protein in my diet I've found include: Kashi cereals (I like the crunches or the crisp), beans, cauliflower, and peanut butter. I've also recently gotten into using TVP (textured vegetable protein) in conjunction with meat to bulk up the recipe/increase the protein/reduce cholesterol and fat (it's the "evil" soy you hear about restaurants, schools, and prisons using in their meat products), but I know that vegetarians will use it as a meat substitute.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Losing hair on your scalp is a side effect of your PCOS. Lots of good ideas here for additional protein. CONGRATULATIONS on your incredible weight loss! You are a terrific inspiration!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect your essential fatty acids, too...

consider flax (as crackers, or using flax oil as a salad dressing), hemp, chia seed, coconut oil, and/or avocados (I'm pretty good at cycling through all of these regularly, to mix it up and balance the omegas). Raw nuts are good, too, particularly almonds and walnuts. It doesn't take much - but your body needs them for proper hormone development.

I tend to use about a tbls of a flax type oil, or an avocado, or an ounce or two of raw nuts pretty much every day. I find that when I remember to add in one (or more!) of these in a day, my cravings drop, and my skin looks better. I also lose a bit more weight.

I weigh these, usually, as it's too easy for me to over do them. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/warriorblend.html

The site above sells vegan protein blends. I have tried them, not bad but a bit too soy tasting for me. Drop them an e-mail, they send free samples so you can try before you buy.