stopping smoking

Options
I've recently been working on cutting out negatives from my life (people as well as habits!) I've completely changed my eating habits and am slowly but surely increasing my exercise levels.

I'm 6 ft 2 and currently weigh 235 pounds. My family history puts me at great risk for heart disease. I turned 29 in January and my goal is to be completely smoke free by age 30. I have been smoking off and on again for 12 years now. Never a pack a day smoker, but still an everyday smoker.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced success with this and how did you achieve it? There are a million options available but I'm hesitant to try the patch, gum, meds, etc. I know it can be done cold turkey but I don't want to turn into a total nightmare in the process lol. So if anyone has any helpful hints, I'm all ears. I've been told that it will come naturally as I make healthier lifestyle choices but I kind of want to speed that process up.

thanks,
Josh

Replies

• bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have not had a cigarette in 5 days. Cold turkey. I have been smoking since I was 11 (23 now), about half pack a day or more. I know this is no help, but I want to wish you good luck
  • BeeDupuis
    BeeDupuis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The health store near me says to take 3000mg of vitamin C, time released a day to help the cravings. I am also a smoker and I am planning to quit very soon. I have the patch ready, and the nircorette inhaler, and also the fake cigerette that looks like you are smoking but no nicotine just steam. And I plan on trying the vitamin C when I do as well.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Josh! You have totally taken the first step!! Congrats! I smoked for 11 years and my hubby for over 20 and we've been smoke free for almost 12 years now. I took Welbuterin and used the patch but my hubby didn't use anything.

Honestly, I don't know if I could have done it without the help as I worked in an office that at the time, the only benefit was that we could smoke at our desks. I remember meetings in a room with 12 people smoking, it was so hard at times not to say "Hey, can I just have a drag?"

It is very hard at first, but it can be done. Infact, some days I get the strongest urge for a cig especially when I'm stressed.

Good luck in all of your lifestyle changes... Each step you take gets you one step closer to a happier, longer and healthier life!

bluberrgoo: Congrats!!! Great Job!!! I don't know you, but I'm still very proud! :-D
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im currently in the midst of not smoking. It's not easy but what is different about this time then previous attempts... I WANT to quit this time. I use an electronic cigarette every now and again when I have an intense craving. A LOT of this is mind over matter. there is the addiction part for sure, but if you want it just think about your triggers and avoid them. Go for a walk instead of smoking. Do dishes right after dinner instead of smoking. Toothpicks, straws, gum, are all good distractions. I play with a rubberband as well. Best of Luck!
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The health store near me says to take 3000mg of vitamin C, time released a day to help the cravings. I am also a smoker and I am planning to quit very soon. I have the patch ready, and the nircorette inhaler, and also the fake cigerette that looks like you are smoking but no nicotine just steam. And I plan on trying the vitamin C when I do as well.

Vit C all it does it strip the nicotine from your body
    After about a week if you don't have the cigs/patches/gum etc
    Its all brain power after that and will power
    it can be done again take a look at my write up
    lots of tips/tricks there =)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/367645-for-all-you-smokers-that-want-to-quit-for-good-read-this

<- smoke free over 12yrs now
    I gained almost 200lbs when I quit but I never knew of the Vit C trick back then wish i did

Here is what i posted on my profile too

I graduated high school in January 2000 & quit smoking within 2 years I gained almost 200lbs, swapping smoking with food. March 2009 my doctors told me my body wasn't good being so over weight & they didn't want me to even think of having a baby, til I lost some weight, so off I went on my journey, in 19months I was able to drop off 156lbs, I went from 330lbs to 176lbs in those 19 months, I was so happy, then we sold our old house for our new one, stress came I stopped tracking and working out, I was back up to 218 by October 2011, now ive been back on track & loving it!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only way to go.

I have been smoke free for over a year. I used the patch. My doctor told me to use as many things i felt i needed as people who use them have a much higher success rate. Besides the patch there is the gum, lozenges and pills (maybe more but i cannot think of any now).

My husband did not quit and he keeps saying he is working on it. Really now, it is either you smoke or you don't. There is no cutting back until you quit, it just does not happen that way. I don't harp on him though (even though i really, really want to) because it won't do any good, he has to want to quit.

Either way you go, have a plan. You will have some tough moments along the way (although for me on the patch, they really were only moments and passed quickly) so figure out ahead of time how you are going to get through them. Deep breaths helps, walking helped me a lot, munching on carrot sticks or sucking on suckers also can help.

Best of luck to you, you can do it. You will feel so much better too (along with your pocket book)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need any type of support, check with your HR department to see what benefits they offer as far as smoking cessation is concerned. I work for an employer that provides free nicotine replacement to those wanting to quit, and Chantix is available at a $0 copay now. Also, most states offer a smoking quit line with free nicotine replacement (patches, gum, lozenges, etc).. You can either google for your states information, but I am sure if you call the information line 211 it will probably also list the available resources.

Let me know if you need any other help! I was never a smoker but my husband was before I met him. He quit cold turkey primarily, but if he couldn't stand his urge, he would smoke half or one full cigarette.. Worked for him.. He says if you HAVE to have a cigarette, you can have one but just get back on the path to quitting.. Don't give up!! He's been smoke free for 4 years now.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For me quitting smoking was harder than losing weight, but I quit cold turkey 18 years ago. In my opinion it is the best way. you have to get free of the nicotine addiction. after about 2 weeks the cravings subside and it gets a little easier.
    If you are serious about exercising, the smoking is a huge brick wall. It kills lung tissue which reduces oxygen transfer to the blood, driving down your O2 saturation which means you get outa breath very fast. Nicotine is also a vaso-constrictor, meaning it shrinks your blood vessels, which reduces blood flow to muscle tissue thus reducing needed protein synthesis for muscle gain. This is just scratching the surface. JUST STOP! hope this helps
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" former smoker

I have this on my profile.

"May 5th, 2009, when I quit smoking (172 lbs) and proceeded to gain weight until after my wedding in February 2010 (191 lbs). It was about two months after that (198lbs) when I saw the wedding photos that it really struck me with how much weight I had gained. I then started working on ways to eliminate foods (butter, salad dressing, mayo) from my diet while keeping my sweet treats or salty treats in there somewhere. That following Christmas (182 lbs) that I decided to get really serious about my lifestyle change. With a serious amount of dedication and willpower I was able to successfully quit smoking, learn to exercise properly, increase my metabolism, and get and maintain my weight below 125 lbs."

The key was to start one project at a time. Since you aren't a "pack-a-day" kind of smoker you probably won't have the pull from cigarettes as harshly as if you were. Replacing the need to smoke with another habit like walking or another form of exercise will jump-start your weight-loss. Don't expect to conquer everything at the same time.
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from experience it was one of the hardest things I had done. I smoked the better part of 30 years with an on again off again relationship with my cigarettes. I have now been smoke free for over 4 years. The cravings came with a vengeance, but I would do something to avert my attention until the craving passed. I would walk, or clean, just anything until the feeling passed. If it is truly an addiction and not just a habit, and you get past the first two weeks, you will find that it gets easier. You have to be stronger than the addiction. Be prepared, though, because you will get nauseated, have headaches, upset stomach...the withdraws are hard, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it. You have already taken the hardest step, being this first one. I will also say that the first 2 weeks I lived on cinnamon mints! Good luck, I know you can do it if you really want to.
  • jdleadley
    Options
    I've recently been working on cutting out negatives from my life (people as well as habits!) I've completely changed my eating habits and am slowly but surely increasing my exercise levels.

I'm 6 ft 2 and currently weigh 235 pounds. My family history puts me at great risk for heart disease. I turned 29 in January and my goal is to be completely smoke free by age 30. I have been smoking off and on again for 12 years now. Never a pack a day smoker, but still an everyday smoker.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced success with this and how did you achieve it? There are a million options available but I'm hesitant to try the patch, gum, meds, etc. I know it can be done cold turkey but I don't want to turn into a total nightmare in the process lol. So if anyone has any helpful hints, I'm all ears. I've been told that it will come naturally as I make healthier lifestyle choices but I kind of want to speed that process up.

thanks,
    Josh

I am coming up on two years of being smoke free this April, and I did it without patches, gum, pills, shots, or cold turkey cravings. What did I do? First, I WANTED to quit, which its sounds like you already really want to do. I then picked up a copy of Allen Carrs best selling book, "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking", that somebody on a website called QuitNet recommended I read, and in less than one week I was non-smoker, and i KNEW it. I had done EVERYTHING else and failed, this book quite literally turned my life around after trying to stop smoking for more than 20 years!

You can find used paperback copies of it on Amazon or even try your local public library! Keep an open mind and good luck! :-)

my stats to date:

691 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 12 seconds smoke free.

17289 cigarettes not smoked.
    $5,182.50 and 4 months, 12 days, 1 hour of your life saved.

Your quit date: 4/4/2010 7:00:00 AM
  • masynoliver
    Options
    Hello, I had previously tried allot of ways, patches, meds etc.. I was told about a book, called alan cars easy way to stop smoking. A few people recommended this book to me. I was skeptical at first, but decided to read the book. First time I read the book I speed read the book, and stopped for 1 week. I was told not to speed read the book however I did not listen. A few months later I decided to give the book another read this time over a couple if weeks. This book is truly amazing. Myself and my partner are both non smokers now and I have never found it easier quitting smoking. I Recommend to everyone, you won't believe how easy it is. You just buy it from a book store fir like $30. Cheers
  • donnantx
    Options
    I have been smoking since I was 14 years old (-9x4=36 months due to pregnancy) and I quit on Oct 2, 2009 and I am now 46.5 years old) you can do it.....I DID...I however have gained about 30 pounds but you dont have to follow in my footsteps...dont let it beat you...I did it with Nic patches provided by my insurance company and weekly counseling sessions provided by my insurance company...and when I was drinking around my smoking friends my husband knew when it was time ot leave when I said it was time to go...we wenthome... you can do it...no question, no excuses...you can do it
  • spaceys
    Options
    I was able to do it via Chantix, although it was very expensive. Cutting out a lot of other negativity out of my life, changed my attitude, etc. has helped me keep it at bay. Only 10 cigs since Aug 2011, after 15 years smoking.

Good luck!