Meal replacement/protein shake recommedations

Options
I'm thinking of looking for a meal replacement shake/protein shake to drink. I want something I can buy in stores, that's cheap so no Body by Vi or Shakeology.

I started a full time job Feb 1st and so I'm quite busy and when I'm not working, I'm sleeping. I'm exhausted and sooo sore (job is very active, shifts may only be max of 6 hours at time but I'm constantly on my feet, literally only sit when I go to the bathroom and snacks are eaten on the run and half the week I have split shifts, two shifts sometimes 10 hours in total or 12 hours) Most of the time I wake just before having to go to work so I don't get in a full meal.

I have been snacking on cheese, carrots, nuts, stuff like that but I need something else. When I am home nothing seems to been appealing to me so I'm having a hard time eating meals when i get the chance. Heck, I don't have the energy to make meals. Usually on days when I have a morning shift (7-10:30) and a night shift (8pm-1:30am) I end up coming home after the morning shift and sleeping for five hours just to have the energy to do my night shift.

Replies

• infitnessandinhealth
    Options
    I always thought that Slim Fast was filling :smile:
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Im doing Body by Vi and I love it, despite the price tag. In my first week, I was down 2.5 lbs and 7". It is pricey, but Im giving it the 90 days, at least. If it doesnt work...then I'll move on. I love the ease of meals. I hated deciding what to take to work for lunch and was never eating breakfast...except for coffee. It tastes great and you can mix it with virtually anything (love chocolate/peanut butter or spinach/strawberry)
  • ReJoyceInHim
    Options
    I like the Slim Fast French Vanilla. I love it mixed with ice in a blender. Plain is great, but when I want variety, I add blueberries, or banana, or even hazelnut instant coffee. If you don't have time for even that....the premixed bottles are ok too. I've only tried the cappacino flavor and I like it.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Im doing Body by Vi and I love it, despite the price tag. In my first week, I was down 2.5 lbs and 7". It is pricey, but Im giving it the 90 days, at least. If it doesnt work...then I'll move on. I love the ease of meals. I hated deciding what to take to work for lunch and was never eating breakfast...except for coffee. It tastes great and you can mix it with virtually anything (love chocolate/peanut butter or spinach/strawberry)

I have friends who have it and it does taste great, but I just can't afford it right now. My bank account is pretty much at zero and I'm still desperately waiting my first paycheck.

And i don't care about pounds or inches lost. I just need something to fill me when I don't have time to eat meals. And to give me energy and strength to do my job. I would also like something that I can just go to the city and buy instead of having to order it.
  • photoguy29505
    Options
    I'm thinking of looking for a meal replacement shake/protein shake to drink. I want something I can buy in stores, that's cheap so no Body by Vi or Shakeology.

I started a full time job Feb 1st and so I'm quite busy and when I'm not working, I'm sleeping. I'm exhausted and sooo sore (job is very active, shifts may only be max of 6 hours at time but I'm constantly on my feet, literally only sit when I go to the bathroom and snacks are eaten on the run and half the week I have split shifts, two shifts sometimes 10 hours in total or 12 hours) Most of the time I wake just before having to go to work so I don't get in a full meal.

I have been snacking on cheese, carrots, nuts, stuff like that but I need something else. When I am home nothing seems to been appealing to me so I'm having a hard time eating meals when i get the chance. Heck, I don't have the energy to make meals. Usually on days when I have a morning shift (7-10:30) and a night shift (8pm-1:30am) I end up coming home after the morning shift and sleeping for five hours just to have the energy to do my night shift.

If and when you can afford it I would go with Body by Vi! I am on the Nutrisytem Diet with weekends off. On the weekends I drink two a day and eat a healthy meal! I have tried them all and the only one I can happily drink is the Vi...Shakeology is HORRIBLE...even if you COULD afford it! LOL! Stay FAR FAR AWAY! ;o) SOOOO....to make my long answer short, try what someone else recommends that is more affordable, but I would recommend using a blender and ice! It helps make any of them better! Good luck on your journey!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Time management.
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    Pure trim, there's chocolate and vanilla. I always use the vanilla one, with 2 frozen banana's, (I always freeze my ripe banana's for my smoothies), 1 cup frozen blueberries, handful frozen spinach, and a cap full of vanilla extract:) Mmm Mmm Goooood! Super Good for u too! For the chocolate one, I would just add frozen banana's, it's so addicting!!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Time management.

^^ That might work too!
  • Countrybride2b
    Countrybride2b Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make protein shakes pretty much after every workout. I hit the gym after work so I find that my 200-300 calorie shake really prevents me from over doing it at dinner.. So I don't consume too many calories. I use Maxx Essentials in vanilla ice cream flavor. It's very reasonably priced and tastes great in a blender with ice, some milk and anything else you want to throw in there! My fiancé and I both use it so we go through a lot... Good thing it comes in a horse-feed sized bag!!! Haha :)
  • btretiak
    Options
    Are you dead set on on pre-mixed shakes? I've found a couple of bulk powders that are SUPER high in protein, low in carbs/fat, and very filling. You just have to mix them with whatever you want. Met-Rx makes a great one. I buy it at Trader Joe's and it comes out to less than a dollar per serving.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want any reviews of other bulk protein powders...I've pretty much tried them all.
  • Leahnh
    Leahnh Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm using Muscle Milk Light. It's approx. $2.50 per bottle.
  • jilphi
    jilphi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have replaced one meal a day with isofemme strawberry protein powder - I buy it at Winners in Canada for about $16.99 - I think it works out to less than a dollar a day. I mix it with a banana and almond milk. Takes about 2 minutes to make in the morning and it is SO good! If you blend it well, the banana bulks it up quite a bit and I find it lasts quite awhile before I am hungry again. Easily from breakfast to lunch if I don't get around to having a snack.