Ex Athlete looking for other motivated, hard working individ

Options
Hi,

My name is Stephen, I am 25 years old from Las Vegas, NV. I was once an All American football player at my University. I had extremely high aspirations of playing professionally, but those dreams were short lived. I allowed depression to take over my life, which in turn led to me becoming very overweight. I am now taking back control of my life and happiness. I am attending Law School in Fl. and I work out 6-7 times per week. I have been going hard in the gym for about 1.5 months and have lost nearly 40 lbs. I would really like to have other people who are just as determined as I am to take control of their life and fitness, as friends and supporters. I don't have much support out here, so I would really appreciate anyone who would like to be a myfitnesspal friend so that we can give each other the motivation and support that is necessary to succeed on our weight loss journey.

Replies

• jme223
    jme223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I meet the requirements but in high school I was some what over weight and then completely changed my life and became pretty fit to where I was working out almost everyday sometimes twice a day. Then I joined the air force and health wise made the mistake of getting an intel job where I have little to no time to work out and where I am doing nothing but sitting at a desk all day. But I'm ready to get back to where I was and maybe even go past that. My name is J'Aimee right now i am in California but originally from Indiana. I could also use some motivation to make time and stick to good habits! If you are game just hit me up.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephen! I know what you mean, I'm a current athlete, last year I stopped playing for a long time (injury, no motivation) and I gained a lot of weight. Its funny how quick you gain once you stop training, I was eating 3000-4000 calories per day AT LEAST and training 4-6 hours per day. Once I stopped, I still had the appetite but obviously was burning zilch compared to what my body was used to.... and packed on the pounds. Now I'm back in the game I've been training hard and eating healthily! Congrats on losing 40lbs that's amazing!! I have lost 10 pounds so far this year.

I will add you :)
  • sbk91
    sbk91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hahaha "Requirement" :) Of course, sounds like youre on my same page, lets do this!
  • sbk91
    Options
    Jessica, Thanks so much for the add, Im active on here now so lets root eachother on!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Stephen feel free to request me. It is definitely harder when it seems you are alone in your quest to be fit and healthy! If you are interested in running or doing 5k races, try looking for a training class. Many times you can find support there or at least I did.
  • tripgrunt
    tripgrunt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, Stephen. I played sports in middle school & high school. i've done several sports since HS but have been really inconsistent (or even nonexistent in some years). so i've been trying to get back in shape so i can rollerblade & play volleyball again this summer and eventually take up kickboxing again.

Feel free to add me as a friend & we can help encourage each other: whether about the food we eat or the exercises we do (or extra motivation on those blah days lol).

-Randa
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in high school and college i played volleyball, soccer, rugby and swam. In college I was underweight for the position I played for 4 seasons (prop) so I made up for my smallness by power lifting and becoming the strongest person on the field. All of my ideas about fitness were shaped during those years when I didnt really have to worry about weight gain because of all the working out I was doing so I ate as much as I wanted. Fast forward almost 2 decades and it's finally starting to click that I need to get my diet under control.

I want to get back in shape to do a tough mudder run in september, and also to do better at some of the martial arts I've been taking like krav maga and capoeira . I also plan to eventually start doing crossfit..

Feel free to add me anyone in this thread :happy:
  • spookie10
    Options
    Ask yourself "Is what I am doing this moment helping me get closer to my goal?" As long as it is not pushing you away from your goal you are on the right track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Stephen, I am 25 years old from Las Vegas, NV. I was once an All American football player at my University. I had extremely high aspirations of playing professionally, but those dreams were short lived. I allowed depression to take over my life, which in turn led to me becoming very overweight. I am now taking back control of my life and happiness. I am attending Law School in Fl. and I work out 6-7 times per week. I have been going hard in the gym for about 1.5 months and have lost nearly 40 lbs. I would really like to have other people who are just as determined as I am to take control of their life and fitness, as friends and supporters. I don't have much support out here, so I would really appreciate anyone who would like to be a myfitnesspal friend so that we can give each other the motivation and support that is necessary to succeed on our weight loss journey.
    I've trained many an athlete and ex athlete as well. Even have a few friends who are ex NFL players who I've personally trained with myself. Add me to your friends list.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sbk91
    Options
    Hey that sounds like a plan, Im happy to join you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Former high school athlete, gained weight being a full time desk job working mom. Am getting close to my goal weight and am now focusing more on strength training and other fitness goals :) Add me if you'd like!
  • sbk91
    Options
    Ask yourself "Is what I am doing this moment helping me get closer to my goal?" As long as it is not pushing you away from your goal you are on the right track.

Very true statement
  • mikeandfox
    Options
    I'm not very athletic, but I know all to well how depression can screw with you and how that can effect everything else. I'll be here for you.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty determined myself man, feel free to add.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey! I played basketball for 8 years (mid. school and high school) and miss it! I started throwing (hammer, shot, discus, jav) for my community college last year and it reminded me how much I loved getting stronger. This year I had to quit due to money issues, but am continuing with goals to get lean and strong.

I do STILL see myself as an athlete :) I think its one thing that really sticks with me and motivates me. When I start to believe I can't do something, I say to myself "You CAN do it, you're not 'just a girl,' you're an ATHLETE."
  • sbk91
    Options
    Hey! I played basketball for 8 years (mid. school and high school) and miss it! I started throwing (hammer, shot, discus, jav) for my community college last year and it reminded me how much I loved getting stronger. This year I had to quit due to money issues, but am continuing with goals to get lean and strong.

I do STILL see myself as an athlete :) I think its one thing that really sticks with me and motivates me. When I start to believe I can't do something, I say to myself "You CAN do it, you're not 'just a girl,' you're an ATHLETE."

You are so right about that, I never actually feel like an "EX" athlete, because that is what I always was and what I will always be. I should not have used that term, I was just to eager to post something I guess haha.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me-I think I'm a pretty motivating indivual-as some of my MFP friends have told me this. Love to stick to my workout schedule and not slack around!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I was in the band in HS and played the whistle. Does that work?