fruits and veggies, ever too many?

Options
all ive been eating really is fruits and veggies. I cut out bread, soda, any sort of treat, besides the occasional snack on some dark chocolate chips (about a tblsp). my question is, is fruit a good substitute for other sweets like chocolate or icecream? especially at night. i know fruit has a lot of sugar, but i also hear its healthy sugar that doesn't "stick"....please help :)

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with sugar iteslf.

the problem occurs when we intake 'additive' or 'added' sugars. because...usually the types of foods that have added sugars are unhealthy and high in calories. sugar provides energy in calories only. so the more sugar the more calories. but within fruits we find tons of nutrients and hence are healthy.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on who you talk to. Weight Watchers folks would tell you to go for it, since they can have fruit and it doesn't "count against them". Fruit at night doesn't bother me, but I run hypoglycemic, so the extra sugar doesn't bug me a bit. Some might say too many calories right before bedtime. You're bound to hear many different answers to this question.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a balanced diet - fruit and veggies are great, but you also need sources of fat, protein and minerals like Fe, Zn and Mg. Also, veggies are better than fruit.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hm anyfruit and veggies is better than chocolate, sweets...etc!

However...lots of fibre ;) and you know, you'll be running to the loo, if you know what I mean. That's the only downside :)