Should I eat at night if I'm not hugry and haven't met cal?

Options
2»

Replies

• sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I say dont eat at night and leave the extra calories, cause less calories more weight you lose.

I agree, if you're not hungry, but................................... eat if you are. Even just a yogurt or something. I tried not giving in to my hunger before bed for a couple of days, reasoning that I'm just going to sleep so why waste the cals. But if you're hungry and then going to essentially fast for 7-8 hours it's not great, for me personally at least, I can tell the difference the next day as I'm hungry when I wake up and start the bad day feeling rubbish.

However, if you're not hungry, don't fret over it. Bodies are pretty clever things and once you're in healthy eating mode (and can tell the difference between not being literally stuffed, and actual hunger) it will tell you what it needs. Good luck :)
  • texastango
    Options
    And One Last Post - Right or Wrong...take it for what it's worth...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/health/17really.html
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I say dont eat at night and leave the extra calories, cause less calories more weight you lose.

I agree, if you're not hungry, but................................... eat if you are. Even just a yogurt or something. I tried not giving in to my hunger before bed for a couple of days, reasoning that I'm just going to sleep so why waste the cals. But if you're hungry and then going to essentially fast for 7-8 hours it's not great, for me personally at least, I can tell the difference the next day as I'm hungry when I wake up and start the bad day feeling rubbish.

However, if you're not hungry, don't fret over it. Bodies are pretty clever things and once you're in healthy eating mode (and can tell the difference between not being literally stuffed, and actual hunger) it will tell you what it needs. Good luck :)

My body kept insisting it needed cake and icecream. Maybe my body needs a remedial class its not as smart as some. Listening to your body works for some people but not all.

I suggest eat earlier in the day and find high calorie healthy foods to include.

You are on a extremely low cal diet so while you may be losing on the scale and your feeling great about that a much higher percent of lean muscle mass is being lost than is necessary as well as the fat. This WILL bite you in the bum! With less lean muscle mass your body will have a lower metabolism and gaining weight will occur more easily.
    This is a major factor in why people who lose on very low cal diets end up usually putting on at least what they had originally lost. (any one got a reliable statistic for the percent who keep it off?)

If you are only having 700 cal that day and your not hungry ignore your body and eat any way. If you feel full try milk drinks or a milk substitute. Seeds and nuts really good for you and are high cal.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Sorry - I do NOT believe this, and my 2 nutritionist co-workers agree with me. Eating 3 large meals a day causes your insulin/sugars to rocket and then freefall. It is better to eat 4-6 meals a day, well-balanced meals - several times a day. That keeps your metabolism, sugars, insulin and all the other digestive juices flowing evenly. You won't have the high's (burst of energy) and then the feeling (typical of large holiday means) of wanting to crawl to a cot for a nap.
    If you are not eating dinner MAYBE once a week it's ok, but going that long w/o food is not doing you any good. Yes, you will lose calories, but this site is NOT about losing weight fast. It's about losing weight AND being healthy. If not - then stop eating 3-4 days, drop 15 pounds and call it a day.
    There are nights when I've worked out, come home around 8 pm and while I'm not hungry, I'm 600 cals short of my daily total. I eat a piece of fruit or something.
    I don't think anyone would say that eating and gagging is good, yet it's equally as bad for your overall health to not eat from lunch on is a good thing.
    Finally, I have a friend who did gastric bypass. She was about 100 lbs overweight. She's only lost 50 lbs since the surgery. Her Dr says she should have lost at LEAST 100 - 130 lbs by now. Why? Because MENTALLY she can't eat. PHYSICALLY she can, because she does. She takes 2 bites and loses her appetite, can't "force it down". There are mental issues in play with people who have a significant amount of weight to lose and THAT is something that has to be addressed as well. I'm not saying that's your issue, yet if you've suddenly changed - and DRASTICALLY changed something....those are issues might be taken into consideration.
    (NOTE: If this is once in a while, not a few times a week .. due to work hours, events keeping you out later at night - then of course this isn't an issue.)