Running a 5K - iPods Not Allowed!?!?!

Options
Ok, so March 11th will be my first 5K. I just received an update from the organizers and they said iPods are not permitted on the course! Obviously this is a safety issue...but are they stating it to cover their butts or do they actually enforce it?!?!?!?

Replies

• Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What? Please don't say this is true! I'm running my first in April and need it to keep pace or need to get better at tracking my own!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This has been a rule at every run I've been to. They don't really enforce it. Tons of people use them at races. Mostly they run the earbuds up through their shirt & put the iPod somewhere discreet. I think you'll be fine.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is a safety issue but also a competition one, if the do not allow music you will see they probably do not allow any electronics including watches, etc. It is fairly common and if the race states it, it will probably be enforced.
  • VodkaSalad37
    VodkaSalad37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do 5/10k charity WALKS and I always use my ipod. Maybe it's different with running.

I need my "workout" music to keep me pumped up.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thats mad, loads of people love the music to keep them on track ... i know i do with any exercise i do !
  • bear3232
    Options
    Not all 5Ks use that rule...I have run in a couple of non-IPOD races and no one ever checked to see if runners were abiding by the rules...but I did run one without it and it is doable and if you can stand to listen to yourself breathe hard, kind of therapeutic...
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    You could try running without an ipod?

I never race with one because I prefer to savour the race atmosphere. I'm doing my first marathon in April, i will have my ipod for some of my training runs but not for the race.

Good luck in your race :)
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is becoming a more and more popular rule at races because it's a safety issue. Three miles without it won't be bad at all :-) If this is your first race I can guarantee you won't miss it. The atmoshpere is enough to keep you going! Good luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Did a half marathon and everyone had their music with them.
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    I'm marshalling a 6 miler tomorrow, it'll be my first time marshalling.

I'm going to watch now, how many people have ipods. Also I'll know how many of those people will be able to hear any safety notices or instructions.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. obv a safety issue.

I have just got back from this week's parkrun ( www.parkrun.com ) which is 5k - and about half of the runners do use music. i have done but didn't today. And to be honest I enjoyed it more -as I was able to hear what was going on around me - hear who was behind me.

I also got chance to have a chat or two on the way round.

I got a PB too, so in future my 'race' 5ks will be music free. I do like to have music when I run alone though - as I get bored.

:)
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I've done a dozen 5ks, four half marathons, and one marathon - every race had a no ipod rule, and I've never seen it enforced. You should be fine.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    In any UKA race, MP3 players are banned for safety reasons. I've been at some races where this was ignored and others where it was enforced to the point of DQ if a marshall noticed. For that matter a lot of races also ban anything that can technically be helping you with your pacing...so things like garmins. I've noticed that on the whole this rule is not enforced unless you are elite or in the running for prizes...and I think this must be because it's not so much of a safety issue and if you're not in the running for the prizes then a little pacing information is probably no skin off most peoples noses.

A lot of people think the MP3 ban is harsh. I don't....I've seen an ambulance trying to get through the field at a race, with runners infront of it not moving out the way because they can't hear it. I've also seen people run the wrong way because they can't hear the marshalls.

For me personally, even if I'm out on my own (not racing) I don't use an MP3 because I feel if running on the roads it's really important to be able to hear the traffic, and if running on trail it is best to be able to use your sense of hearing to be aware of anything else that might be around.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is a safety issue but also a competition one, if the do not allow music you will see they probably do not allow any electronics including watches, etc. It is fairly common and if the race states it, it will probably be enforced.

NO electronics? Boo! I would want to wear my HRM!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Most races I have been in it is only enforced for those "competing" for the top spots.

But if you are going to wear an iPod, PLEASE turn it down so you can still hear the people around you, emergency vehicles, race officials, etc.

I second those that say try to run without it. I used to think I could NEVER run without music, but now I do fairly regularly, even on long training runs, and most certainly during races. You don't get the full benefit of the race atmosphere with the music blaring in your ears, AND, it's a 5K, not a marathon -- that's not that long to go without.

Try, it -- you may love it!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    This has been a rule at every run I've been to. They don't really enforce it. Tons of people use them at races. Mostly they run the earbuds up through their shirt & put the iPod somewhere discreet. I think you'll be fine.

^^ Same here.

The first time I was in a race where no ipods were allowed I folowed the rule and then I get there and NO ONE else was following the rule. It was kind of nice to run without the music though. Just the sound of my breathing kept me on pace.
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Depends on the race organisers and how likely there are to be safety issues, e.g. you're running somewhere with a lot of other people or there are other members of the public using the park/roads.

You will be fine on a 5k with no music, most races are fairly social and its nice to say hello and thank you to the marshals who are giving their time up for free to ensure you can run.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I usually run with just one earpiece in, meaning I can still hear traffic etc...

They are just covering their back but I have never seen it enforced!
  • carlaj38
    carlaj38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree it's hard to stay motivated without headsets...