Rest Days?

Options
I've seen good results so far doing 3 strength training days and 2 cardio days with 2 rest days, but I have a 5k coming up and honestly (despite my leg muscles being sore) I really like running and want/need to add another cardio day at least. Is it safe to run everyday if I wanted including my 3 strength training days? Is it not good to not have a rest day? On strength training days is it okay to run also and should I do it before/after/does it matter?

Replies

• CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I try not to have rest days unless my body tells me I needs it. Sometimes I go two straight weeks without resting. I think you would be fine.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i personally think you just need rest days between strength training so that you do strength training every other day. i think its fine to do cardio every day. i jog in the mornings and do my strength training at night after work.
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I try not to have rest days unless my body tells me I needs it. Sometimes I go two straight weeks without resting. I think you would be fine.

Right on. I don't remember when my last rest day was. I'm sure that MFP could show me if I searched hard enough.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner every day in the past, it's fine, I eventually overcame the soreness. Maybe took one day off every 2- 3 weeks.... It's up to you. Nowadays I plan a rest day because I have to get on with other things in life so I leave a day or 2 free for that.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What she said. However, you should take at least 2-3 days rest before your race ( at least cardio rest).
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think this all depends on your body and your goals and your life! I know that Cardio should be done at least 1/2 hour every day, so your running is fine. I also know that strength training should be done 3 - 4 times per week, with rests in between the same areas (ie do your arms and back one day, legs and core one day, then you can go back to arms and back). While you are doing strength training you are actually tearing muscle fibers that need time to rebuild, so everyday is NOT a good thing in the same areas, whereas cardio is about endurance and training of your breathing and heart so it can be done everyday.
    All that being said, I was losing weight VERY slowly, and when I started to take one day off a week I started to lose weight on a quicker pace. My body just needed the day to slack off so it did not feel it was going all the time - and my metabolism actually kept up. So try running every day, but stay clear on the strength training and don't hurt yourself. Good luck with your marathon!
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far! You've given me a lot to think about!
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What she said. However, you should take at least 2-3 days rest before your race ( at least cardio rest).

Is the rest before the race just so my muscles are relaxed and fully capable?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually do some form of cardio on my strength training days. Weights first, then cardio. But since my stress fracture, I don't want to push myself too hard and run every day. I'll bike, hike or walk on my days between running.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I exercise pretty much everyday, I have a "rest week" during :blushing: TOM, lol
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you look at any of the training plans created by professionals for running, they advocate rest days.

You need rest days to help your body recover.

That being said, if you are not looking to improve speed or endurance and you run 5k's every day and a 5k race is just a same old, same old, run of the mill run, then I don't think you would need to rest.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think its really up to you and how you feel. If you're mildly sore, that's fairly normal. But if you are feeling wore out then focus on your running and cut your strength training back to two days, with two days rest (from weights not running) between those. For me personally, I was working out at high intensity 6 times a week, mixture of HIIT cardio and weights, and I have a physical job and it was too much. I cut back to 4 days a week with rest days between and I have tons more energy for the workouts that I do.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i only "rest" from weights. cardio i think you can do every day. i take off sundays from the gym and most exercise just b/c of my schedule. and lately i haven't actually been resting as much as i used to.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    At your age I think you would be fine not to have a rest day unless your body tells you that it needs rest. I'm 57 and need 1 rest day in a week. I always do some cardio to warm up on my strength training days and after the workout if I have time.