picnic/party dish suggestions?

Options
I am going to a 4th of July party tonight, and wanted to bring a healthier dish. I was thinking of the good ole fruit bowl (boring) or a 7 layer taco dip, using as many lowfat ingredients as I can like lowfat cheese, cream cheese, etc. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i'm taking a HUGE fruit bowl of pineapple, grapes, apples, cantelope, watermelon, strawberries, etc. :bigsmile:
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's exactly what I took to a family reunion last weekend 7 layer and a fruit thing. The fruit thing I took was different though.

In a 9"X12" Gladware pan I put a layer of angel food cake sliced about 3/8" thick.
    I piped in some Philadelphia cheesecake filling.
    (Warning: don't use the entire container and don't leave leftovers around. give / throw it away.)
    Another layer of angel food cake.
    Use 1 can of cool whip covering the top.
    Add lots of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries (red, white and blue)

It's quick, easy, goes over well, All of the ingredients are in the database, and one serving wasn't too bad.

P.S. Maybe put the remaining Cheesecake filling in a bowl, sprinkle with nutmeg / cinnamon, serve with graham crackers.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I like the fresh fruit idea! For a dip I would use honey flavored greek style yogurt. Maybe with some fresh nutmeg grated on top. And a few mint leaves for a garnish.

For a vegie dip the plain greek yogurt mixed with some dill and dryed minced onions makes a nice dip. Or use a packet of Knorr soup mix. This is even good on baked potatoes.

I use the full fat versions. I think they have more flavor then I eat less. Even my DH will eat these dips now over sour cream or cool whip/cream cheese dips.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We're going tomorrow........they've decided to make the heavier fare of ribs and brawts........ugh.......
    I'm taking a fruit plate, i know boring, but also bringing shrimp on ice and making veggie kabobs for grilling! that way I'm getting something I know the food counts of and it's already in my diary! also taking along a chest of water and tea.......that way not tempted by other canned bevs
  • hammersshells
    Options

This is perfect! Black Bean Salsa--I already have almost all the ingredients in my kitchen--including fresh cilantro in my garden! This, and a bag of Baked Tostitoes, and ITS ON! Thanks!
  • hammersshells
    Options
    We're going tomorrow........they've decided to make the heavier fare of ribs and brawts........ugh.......
    I'm taking a fruit plate, i know boring, but also bringing shrimp on ice and making veggie kabobs for grilling! that way I'm getting something I know the food counts of and it's already in my diary! also taking along a chest of water and tea.......that way not tempted by other canned bevs

I like the way you think! Def. bringing safe bevs!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    btw, Have a WONDERFUL day!! :flowerforyou:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just made a great broccoli salad. Chopped broccoli, fat free mayo, light sour cream, raisins, sunflower seeds, a couple strips of crumbled bacon, and some seasoning. Easy and light.