water x 8

Options
atxdee
atxdee Posts: 613 Member
:drinker: So why exactly is it recommended to drink at least 8 glasses a water a day? I mean what purpose does this serve? I find it so hard btw. I drink 5 cups and I feel like I am drowning. So havent been hitting 8 yet. Any thoughts? suggestions on how to get the 8? ty

Replies

• bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have two x 1 litre bottles each day and just continually keep sipping. I don't like water either, especially out of a glass! Sometimes I'll have sparkling mineral water with lemon and ice to try and make it seem a bit fancy, but to me it's just something I have to make myself do. Your body will thank you for it.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love drinking water, but I always drink more if it's readily available so I constantly keep a water bottle or cup w/ straw near me to remind me to keep drinking.

If you really don't like the taste, maybe try adding lemon or cucumber or some kind of flavor mix to it.

Good luck!
  • MamaKobz
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact reason but I know it helps with our metabolism too!

I can't get quite to 8 glasses, I'm at about 5 too!

I'm not a huge fan of tap water but I love cold water with ice in it... and I've read this is good for burning calories too because our bodies need to warm up from the cold temperature or something like that??

I used to drink 2 cans of coke a day and since joining here 7 weeks ago I'm not drinking only water and I feel AMAZING for it!
  • akiramezu
    Options
    I drink 3-4 liters a day. 8 cups of water is ... about 2 liters? that's just miniscule
    Water is needed to lubricate our joints, flush out impurities/toxins in our body, general overall health
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The origin of the eight glasses of water a day has been debated. The best I have found to explain this 8 glasses rule of thumb basically boiled down to a mathematical equation. They took the average persons weight and then figured out how much the average person loses daily.

The body is mostly made of of water and every function in our body thrives on it. When you are dehydrated it causes your bodily functions to not work as efficiently as it should. When you are dehydrated the blood in our body also doesn't circulate as well, think of it more as a slush instead of a easy moving fluid.

So the amount of water you should drink really depends on many factors like health, diet, activity level, and age.

The most common way to figure out how much water to drink is by taking your weight and multiplying it by .66

150 x .66 = 99 or about 12-13 glasses of water.

Also dehydration is often mistaken for hunger. So if you're trying to lose weight it's important to keep hydrated and this will help avoid eating unnecessary calories in addition to having your body function properly.

And drinking cold water also helps temporarily increase your metabolism because your body is trying to raise your core body temperature.

8 glasses is the minimum. And I know even that is hard for most to attain.

As for getting to the 8 minimum glasses of 8 you can try drinking 8oz an hour at least. Have water before and after each meal and work out ... and eventually you will see your body will crave it.

There is a water bottle that also helps to track how much you have drank and has a lil timer to remind you to drink more if you are below your limit. lol It's kinda dorky but I know it's helped some .. it's called Hydracoach
  • Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    WHY:

Your body is estimated to be about 60 to 70 percent water. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. You need water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to your organs and tissues. Water also transports oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs.

So....If you get an adequate water intake daily, it will help with all the above. Also, Depending on how much you exercise, you may need even more. I personally drink 5-7 liters of water a day and its good for your complexion also.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    WHY:

Your body is estimated to be about 60 to 70 percent water. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. You need water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to your organs and tissues. Water also transports oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs.

So....If you get an adequate water intake daily, it will help with all the above. Also, Depending on how much you exercise, you may need even more. I personally drink 5-7 liters of water a day and its good for your complexion also.

Yep. All of this.

You don't necessarily need 8 glasses of water per day. You may get water from other sources as well.

The best way to tell if you are hydrated is if your urine is pale yellow or white. If it's bright yellow you need some more water.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If it's hard for you to get in those eight glasses, it might be how you're drinking it. I drink a lot when it's through a straw, but from a glass I can only drink like three cups a day without getting sick of it. If you invest in a camelbak bottle or something similar, you might find it's easy to hit at least nine cups a day - just fill it whenever it's empty.
  • mhaynam1970
    mhaynam1970 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of water or you think it is but I don't seem to think it is when you drink it all day. I add flavor to my water. I use to 16.9 oz bottles and It is only four of them for the whole day. I was a big pop drinker and I gave it up cold turkey. I use the Hawaiian punch sugar free singles to dump in the bottles cause that is the only way I will drink it. I have lost 6lbs in 9 days so something is working.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I struggle too but I'm getting into something of a routine. I drink one 16.9oz bottle in the morning with my breakfast. Another with lunch. Another one with dinner. The last one I drink mid-afternoon but if I forget, I drink before bed. I know it isn't ideal considering the pee factor, but it helps. I like my diet soda too. It's not the healthiest for me. I tell myself to drink my water first, then I can have my treat. I'm drinking less diet soda on some days because I've had enough by then. Sometimes I just plain guzzle it. Get it down, move on.

When I exercise high cardio, I drink one before, one during, and one after.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    great info, thanks everyone!!