Aching knees

Options
Why do my knees bother me now that I have lost 30lbs. When I was 223lbs they didn't hurt even during exercise. I am taking supplements. Omega 3's and joint health formula. It is so frustrating, Advil doesn't seem to help, but Bengay does. Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• spacey1968
    Options
    Yes, I am also dealing with the aching knees and also my hips!! I started over 270 and didn't have a single ache or pain! Now, I'm down to 207 and my body wakes me up in the middle of night aching and hurting. It really sucks. Wish I had an answer to help you!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It might be your shoes. I went to a running store to get fitted for shoes that fit me. If your shoes don't fit you well they can definitely cause you knee problems. My knees don't bother me now like they did. Now it seems to be just age related stuff and I take Triple Flex and also The Vitamin Shoppe Bio-Cell Collagen and within 2 weeks of starting that even a lot of my age related stuff went away. Good luck.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Shoes have a role in knee pain. I used to wear sketchers and had all sorts of knee pains, switched to vibram toe shoes and had no knee pain but then got shin splints, so now Im wearing Nike Frees. Love them!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.... but have had shoes fitted... I'm just overdoing it.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Shoes....shoes.....shoes...... Go get fitted for a proper shoe that supports your feet and gait.

If you are running you need running shoes. They are built for forward motion.

If you are training or doing an aerobics class you need cross trainers....they are built for side-to-side motion.

Once I was fitted for proper shoes I never suffered from joint pain or shin splints anymore while running. Thank goodness! LOL ***SOURCE: My personal trainer and running instructor from my Run Clinic.

Also, be sure that you are drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day.... This will hydrate your body and cushion your joints. This is very necessary!!!
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. The last two weeks the pain in my left knee has been so intensem I cry out when I bend it at all. This is not normal for me, I have a high tolerance for pain. I was thinking it was athritis, aggravated by the excercising, but I really need to go to the Doctor. I agree with the other posting about shoes, that makes a big difference. I hope you get better.

Great job on the weight loss :smile:
  • ErinsAvon
    ErinsAvon Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I bet it could be my shoes, as I have lost my feet have shrunk. I also was wearing arch supports to heel spurs. Those have healed, so probably time to take the supports out since they seem to make me walk on the outside of my foot. I have stopped jogging since they have been bothering me. However I am still doing elliptical, a boot camp and cardio dance class weekly.
  • neilisfat
    neilisfat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the idea of bad shoes. They wear out faster than we realize, plus many "specialty" running / walking shoes on the market are built around us striking our feet to the ground the wrong way. Eveolution - wise, walking upright makes running diffucult, we are generally not designed to do it.

There is an option that for many of us is more expensive, but much more effective and is better for your body. Bicycling. It is low impact on the joints, utilizes more muscle which brings a better balance to the body, reducing pain in hips and knees (a lot of runners complain of pain in their hips, it is actually a muscle imbalance die to the fact that their butt is underutilized and causes the IT band to overcompensate). If a bicycle is used for the right reasons, they can pay for themselves. Especially if you are looking at the price of gas right now. For the best result, go to a bike shop, not a big box store. You will be able to get a bike that is comfortable, and fit the right way, not to mention much safer to ride. I am a 235 #, 34 year old male who should be living off of 2300 cal/ day. I started commuting to work on my bike 40 mins each way at a fast pace (only 10 to 15 mins slower than driving through Nashville). That trip (3 or 4 days a week) offers me an extra 1800 calories a day. I cannot comfortably eat that much. I have dropped 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Besides muscle soreness, my body does not ache in the morning.

A few studies have shown recently that cycling for exercise has a far more positive impact that running for heavier people, particularlly women.

On the side, I am a former bicycle racer, so it is a little easier for me to get on this horse. It will become comfortable to anyone who does it right, just like a new workout at the gym.

Good Luck!