strugling to use up my calories daily....will this stop me l

Options

Replies

• smgmtx
    smgmtx Posts: 12
    Options
    I had the same problem as well at the beginning. When you switch to healthier foods you find that it's very low in calories so you have to eat more. We easily get a mind set that everything we eat has to be low-cal, low-fat. Try adding olive oil to your cooking instead of spray. Eat more nuts and dried fruits and NEVER forget about protein from lean meats. Don't be afraid to grab some cheese or spreads that arn't low-cal; low-fat and peanut butter. And don't worry about going into Starvation mode. I believe that term is thrown around way to casually. Your body has to be subjected to extreme conditions to really trigger it to go into starvation mode.
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    You could sneak a bit of chocolate in :)

Or this. +1. I always enjoy taking this option. :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1000 a day is gross. Seriously you're trying to survive on that? There is a difference between getting healthy and having an eating disorder. You think you can't eat that much? Stop eating such low calorie things! Swap low fat for full fat. Add olive oil. Nuts and nut butters. 1000 a day is unsafe and you're going to wreck your body. Think about what you're doing. What's more important, fast results or living a long healthy life?
    Because being nice about it is SO hard...?
  • Blackcat99
    Options
    1000 a day is gross. Seriously you're trying to survive on that? There is a difference between getting healthy and having an eating disorder. You think you can't eat that much? Stop eating such low calorie things! Swap low fat for full fat. Add olive oil. Nuts and nut butters. 1000 a day is unsafe and you're going to wreck your body. Think about what you're doing. What's more important, fast results or living a long healthy life?

Yes sweetie, you are not eating enough as you already know. You need proteins, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and fats in your diet in order for the delicately balanced machine which is your body, to function - brain included. Add in two brazil nuts and some treats. Your subconscious wants treats - after all you've been giving yourself those for a while and it's not kind to yourself to take them all away. If you can, make home made fruit smoothies - a yummy, healthy, nutritious way of using up calories. I wouldn't take less than 1200 calories a day on any diet and even that is very low(and I have 7 stone to lose!). Most importantly, enjoy your food - myfitnesspal is a kind, loving way of looking after your body, ensure you use it as such and remember to put in ALL of your daily exercise - that means add up the time spent going up and down stairs, walking around, playing with the neighbours kids, dancing, etc. etc. And remember that your calorie availability goes up with each exercise, so have things like bananas (and a bit of chocolate) available as filler treats. All the very best.
  • TurnLeftNow
    Options
    You don't have to worry about dropping into starvation mode. There are a lot of misconceptions about starvation mode and it's not as much of a risk right away as they make it out to be. I don't think you have to worry about it unless it's been a few months of doing the same behavior. A couple weeks or so of going a little under isn't going to harm you.

However, if you are feeling full on less try and find things that are condensed in calories. Get some peanut butter, or a bagel or something like that. They give you a lot of calories for a little portion so you won't feel really full eating a big meal. Maybe try adding in an extra granola bar or smoothies!

Hang in there!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I first started over thirty days ago I had the same problem. I was eating healthy foods like a lot of raw veg which filled me up quickly. So I went hunting for high calorie foods that had really high nutrient density so I was giving my body the best fuel I could.
    As others have said avocado, nuts and seeds are great. Full of a lot of essential micronutrients and the good fats that look after you brain and metabolism.
    I have now increased my daily to about 1400 as I wanted to minimise the lean muscle mass lost. Its not so hard to make the 1400 net and when I started I had trouble eating 1200. I will be increasing my net again slightly when I start weights.
    I dont eat dairy or anything with gluten but I still seem to be able to get my calories in now.
    Protein powders can help as well. Your welcome to check my diary out and see if anything appeals to you. (its public)

Good luck and good on you for looking after your health.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    To those off you that have added positive and helpful comments THANKS! don't know what the nasty ones are about....i know eating low cals a day are bad...hence why i asked for advice! I do eat a good varied diet an example is :

BREAKFAST- Large bowl of branflakes and FULL FAT milk or poached egg on weight watchers bread

DINNER- Sandwich (using weight watchers bread) with ham and lots of salad and a yoghurt (weight watchers) OR
    crispbread with tuna and sweetcorn (4 of), yoghurt, flavoured Rice thins and fruit

TEA- Omelette with onions, mushrooms and Feta cheese, lots of salad, coleslaw
    OR roast chicken and bbq sauce ciabatta with lots of salad
    OR mexican style beef mince bake with tortillas and low fat creme fraiche

SNACKS- special K bar and fruit and crisp breads either with just butter or with cottage cheese.

I still use full fat milk and full fat butter as i know the body still needs fat..... altho i'm eating smaller portions i have big amounts of salad with meals and i use rocket and spinach etc as my salad leaves, then add tomato's, salad cress and onion and a plate full of it has only 20cals if that....i always team it up with ptotein tho.

I,m not low in energy if anything ive got loads and never felt better.....think i'll give the nuts a try.....thanks guys!
    PLUS i always plan my meals in a morning so i can keep an eye on my calorie intake...like today for example.....i've been out with my hubby and kids and had some choc as i treat (Mars Flyte 97cals) but even after ive had my dinner and tea tonight of mixed meat sinapore style noodles im a good 500cals under and ive got excersise to do so will prob burn a good 100 cals doing that..... if anyone has any good recipes for a small meal i can add for inbetween dinner and tea as i eat dinner around 12pm bt dont have tea till around 6.30pm so is room to fit a small something in as i do normally eat my snacks around 3pm as thats when i start to feel peckish xx
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've never wrote on this wall but here goes - I can totally understand what you are saying.
    I struggle to use all my calories everyday and I eat alot of food, my portions aren't small and are NOT low fat.I have been doing this now for 6 weeks and been under the 1200 target set everyday and have lost a healthy 2 to 1 lb per week. I have not experienced this so called starvation mode or been hungry.
    I'm not going to force myself to eat more than I wish to eat just so my Food diary is full.
    If you feel fit and well and have loads of energy with what you are eating don't worry about it. Everybody is different thats why one size doesn't fit all.
    Good luck and keep going x

I have the same problem and I like this answer. Another idea could be to eat full fat yogurt instead of low-fat...sometimes i'll do that...my diaries open also if you wanna peek at it for some ideas :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    1500 calories. that is all. don't even need to tell you why as you obviously know yourself 1000 is idiotic.
    Really, she is having trouble getting to 1200 calories and your advice is to eat more?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've never wrote on this wall but here goes - I can totally understand what you are saying.
    I struggle to use all my calories everyday and I eat alot of food, my portions aren't small and are NOT low fat.I have been doing this now for 6 weeks and been under the 1200 target set everyday and have lost a healthy 2 to 1 lb per week. I have not experienced this so called starvation mode or been hungry.
    I'm not going to force myself to eat more than I wish to eat just so my Food diary is full.
    If you feel fit and well and have loads of energy with what you are eating don't worry about it. Everybody is different thats why one size doesn't fit all.
    Good luck and keep going x

This!!!!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think the mean comments stem from jealousy. You're a pretty girl and don't look like you have a lot of weight to lose, and I think that makes some people a little bitter, especially when you say that its not hard for you to eat less. Thats what most people struggle with on this site.I don't really have any advice for you, I really have no idea about starvation mode. But I think that everyone is different, and if you are a smaller -framed person to begin with, maybe 1000 calories a day is enough for you. My mother in law is very petite, she eats extremely healthy but I would guess she doesn't need as many calories than other people bc she is pretty short. If you are still concerned, I would ask your dr! No one on these forums is an expert and everyone's advice is different bc it's based on their own experiences. Good luck, and let your haters be your motivators! :)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I have no advise to offer since I am still trying to figure things out on my own but the important thing is that you are trying to be healthier and change your life. That is awesome!! :flowerforyou:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I think the mean comments stem from jealousy. You're a pretty girl and don't look like you have a lot of weight to lose, and I think that makes some people a little bitter, especially when you say that its not hard for you to eat less. Thats what most people struggle with on this site.I don't really have any advice for you, I really have no idea about starvation mode. But I think that everyone is different, and if you are a smaller -framed person to begin with, maybe 1000 calories a day is enough for you. My mother in law is very petite, she eats extremely healthy but I would guess she doesn't need as many calories than other people bc she is pretty short. If you are still concerned, I would ask your dr! No one on these forums is an expert and everyone's advice is different bc it's based on their own experiences. Good luck, and let your haters be your motivators! :)

AMEN to that!!! (and well said btw)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    To those off you that have added positive and helpful comments THANKS! don't know what the nasty ones are about....i know eating low cals a day are bad...hence why i asked for advice! I do eat a good varied diet an example is :

BREAKFAST- Large bowl of branflakes and FULL FAT milk or poached egg on weight watchers bread

DINNER- Sandwich (using weight watchers bread) with ham and lots of salad and a yoghurt (weight watchers) OR
    crispbread with tuna and sweetcorn (4 of), yoghurt, flavoured Rice thins and fruit

TEA- Omelette with onions, mushrooms and Feta cheese, lots of salad, coleslaw
    OR roast chicken and bbq sauce ciabatta with lots of salad
    OR mexican style beef mince bake with tortillas and low fat creme fraiche

SNACKS- special K bar and fruit and crisp breads either with just butter or with cottage cheese.

I still use full fat milk and full fat butter as i know the body still needs fat..... altho i'm eating smaller portions i have big amounts of salad with meals and i use rocket and spinach etc as my salad leaves, then add tomato's, salad cress and onion and a plate full of it has only 20cals if that....i always team it up with ptotein tho.

I,m not low in energy if anything ive got loads and never felt better.....think i'll give the nuts a try.....thanks guys!
    PLUS i always plan my meals in a morning so i can keep an eye on my calorie intake...like today for example.....i've been out with my hubby and kids and had some choc as i treat (Mars Flyte 97cals) but even after ive had my dinner and tea tonight of mixed meat sinapore style noodles im a good 500cals under and ive got excersise to do so will prob burn a good 100 cals doing that..... if anyone has any good recipes for a small meal i can add for inbetween dinner and tea as i eat dinner around 12pm bt dont have tea till around 6.30pm so is room to fit a small something in as i do normally eat my snacks around 3pm as thats when i start to feel peckish xx

You could add in some fruit with your breakfast - bananas, apples, easy to carry with you and have at snack time,

For snack midway between breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner I usually have a yogurt, or cottage cheese on crackers or some nuts - even 6 brazils will add about 150 calories.

or maybe have a warm milky drink at bed time - hot chocolate/cocoa/ovaltine etc.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people amazing me with how rude they are. If you can't be nice don't answer!
    Anyway I know what your saying op, I have had the same problem. I will add 3 special K bars if I need to make it to my calorie goals. Last night it was popcorn and so far so good with me doing things like that. I actually tested out starvation mode on myself. When I first started dieting I was doing slim fast 2 shakes a day and a healthy 500 calorie dinner, with a few snacks in between. My weight loss was great as first and then hardly anything. I added up the calories I was eating and I was under 800 a day at least. If I didn't get that 500 plus calorie dinner in, and only ate a 250-300 calorie one.

What did I figure out my body felt more tired and weak. So I kicked the slim fast diet, yes I had results but the calories were not enough to keep me going. So on average of only eating 800 or less calories a day did I go into starvation mode. Heck no I didn't, I was eating to less so of course I was losing weight. I know if your body fat is low you can put yourself in starvation mode. Or just not eating hardly anything at all and only drinking. Sure you will lose weight, but then as soon as you eat something worth anything your body will hold on to it. So starvation mode does not always mean your body will hold fat and refuse to release it. To me starvation mode is when you don't eat enough and still lose weight. The second you eat something your body hoards it. For me when I tested this out, this is what starvation mode for me meant.

How did I get to 1200 calories? I figured out that even if I'm full and mfp says I only ate 800 to 1000 calories. I will eat some more special K bars. I will even do 3/4 cup of captain crunch cereal if I have too. You can find anything to bump you up where you need to be. I also have special K chips if you don't have them I would suggest you try some out. Those help me as well to get up there on my calorie goals everyday if needed. You could even get some weight watchers deserts. Some of them are really good. I will tell you this if I'm to full I stop eating so yes, there is days where my calories are 1000. It isn't going to kill me. I am a 4'11 person anyway. So I figured out somedays I eat more than others. I just try to never fall to far below, for me anything around 800 or 900 calories is to low, like what I went through on the slim fast diet. So I know what is to low for me and what is not. If I were you I would not pick up a candy bar or anything. You could even try some of those Atkins meal bars, they are low in fat and actually they don't taste gross.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. Though I never wanted to post because of the few mean people that attack others that are looking for help. I have been adding more eggs to my diet, and avocado on my salads. So yummy. Good luck! Thanks to those with positive suggestions! =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Bullpoopie. :wink:

The "mean" comments are from people who KNOW that eating that little is detrimental to one's health. Eating very little is nothing to be proud of. It will shut down your metabolism, cause you to lose muscle mass, and leave you malnourished.

I wish someone told me years ago that I was being an idiot. That I was going about everything all wrong when I was eating under 1000 a day. I got to my goal weight, and still had back fat rolls, a muffin top, double chin and flabby thighs. I weighed less, but I had the same body I had when I was heavier. Just a smaller version of the same body. So I beat myself up, thinking I had a slow metabolism, thinking I lacked discipline, thinking I was just stuck being the shape I was, thinking I would have to eat even LESS if I wanted to lose weight. So I gave up, because I'd rather eat what I wanted, be happy, and weigh a little more, than feel deprived to weigh a little less.

So now, getting proper nutrition and regular exercise, I'm about the same "goal weight," but wearing clothes two or three sizes smaller (2 or 4 vs. size 8), with small waist, a tight, high booty, a sexy back, and just one chin, and eating easily TWICE what I was when I was foolishly starving myself.

So... no, I'm not jealous of someone who only eats 1000 calories a day. Been there, done that. I eat that much for dinner now.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find that I want a snack at night.. So I find something that equals my leftover calories......
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn, you are right girl. I did the samething when I was younger, who knew there could be such a thing of being thin and still having that fat there. I ran into that as well!