extremely frustrated...

Options
hello... i really need help or advice..

i have been on and off diets for over a year, now im on a diet for the last 2 months.. i barely lost 2 pounds all through the year and i've gained 2.2 pounds this week when i actually limited my caloric intake to around 800. and had 1 cheat day when i had a brownie... does that add 2.2 pounds?!

it doesnt seem to make any sense to me.. im so frustrated... my nutritionist tracks all my meals im beginning to get frustrated with her too.. i really dunno what to do, :explode: im paying around 20$ a week for her.. and it doesnt seem to be working it feels like its impossible to lose any weight!!! the other 7 weeks i ate exactly the meals she'd planned and didn't lose an ounce.. and this week i decided to cut down even more.. and i cheated once... (:blushing: cudnt resist a brownie) but how cud i have gained 2.2 pounds?!

any advice? does anyone think i shouldnt work with a nutritionist... this is the 2nd one ive been to this year and she's not helping me that much either.. plz help

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    are you exercising??
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 800 calories per day? That would be your problem right there. I believe MFP says to eat at least 1200 per day to prevent starvation mode. If you eat too little, your body holds onto the calories thus defeating the purpose of eating too little.

Instead of calling it a diet, call it a lifestyle change. Diets have an end date. Eating right should not
  • lilmonita
    lilmonita Posts: 31
    Options

i have been on and off diets for over a year, now im on a diet for the last 2 months.. i barely lost 2 pounds all through the year and i've gained 2.2 pounds this week when i actually limited my caloric intake to around 800. and had 1 cheat day when i had a brownie... does that add 2.2 pounds?!

it doesnt seem to make any sense to me.. im so frustrated... my nutritionist tracks all my meals im beginning to get frustrated with her too.. i really dunno what to do, :explode: im paying around 20$ a week for her.. and it doesnt seem to be working it feels like its impossible to lose any weight!!! the other 7 weeks i ate exactly the meals she'd planned and didn't lose an ounce.. and this week i decided to cut down even more.. and i cheated once... (:blushing: cudnt resist a brownie) but how cud i have gained 2.2 pounds?!

any advice? does anyone think i shouldnt work with a nutritionist... this is the 2nd one ive been to this year and she's not helping me that much either.. plz help

Ohh, please don't get too frustrated. Ok. Here's the skinny on being skinny. 1st off. I've been 220 lbs. I've been 102 lbs. So, I can tell you from experience ALL the different things that have and have not worked--what helped and what hurt. Working with a good Nutritionist can be a great thing. Notice, however, I say "good Nutritionist." Fitness & Nutrition should be something that makes you feel better about yourself, so if you're Nutritionist is making you feel worse, get rid of her. I'm not saying get rid of one all-together, but it may be a good idea to find a new one.

Secondly, I battled with an Eating Disorder for years. There were days I'd binge and consume 2,500 calories, and consecutive days on-end when I wouldn't eat anything. It's possible that by only consuming 800 calories/day, you're shocking your body into a "starvation mode." It could also be triggering cravings for refined sugars, such as brownies. The body is smart. It knows the quickest way to raise its blood sugar levels (and that's refined sugar--it gets released into the blood stream the quickest).

Lastly, exercise is so very important. I cannot stress that enough. What type of workouts are you doing each week?

My main suggestions would be: eat clean (6 smaller meals/day) & exercise at least 5 days/week. If you'd like suggestions, lemme know. I'd love to help.

And again, try not to get too frustrated. A positive attitude is important. :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I agree with Vicky, you're not eating enough! :noway: MFP DOES want you to eat at least 1200 a day, and that's WITHOUT exercising!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works.
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP!
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help!
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :love:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well first, welcome to MFP! Don't be frustrated, we all have issues at one point in our journey.

This is my humble opinion on this topic.

First, 800 calories is too few, unless you live in the north pole, dress in all green and make toys all day, you're body's too big to support 800 calories.:wink:
    2nd, I say nix the nutritionist, there are no qualifications required by the government to call yourself one, and this one obviously isn't working if you've been with him/her for over a year with no results. If you want professional help, go see a Registered Dietitian, because they are required by law to pass a 2 year medical degree from an accredited school, AND required to keep that certification current. Not saying there aren't good nutritionists out there, there are, but finding one can be difficult, and sometimes what SOUNDS great, really is just a crock!

As to your status, tough for us to give you any advice without hearing your routine, exercise, calorie TYPE, and what your numbers are (height, weight, activity level, weekly goal, maintenance calories if they aren't what your height and weight would assume, and body fat %)

If you want to give those, then feel free, we can see what's up and maybe offer some more specific results.
  • lilmonita
    Options
    unless you live in the north pole, dress in all green and make toys all day, you're body's too big to support 800 calories.:wink:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Completely agree!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

If you want to give those, then feel free, we can see what's up and maybe offer some more specific results.

What Banks said.
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options
    I can understand your frustrations. Personally I would be looking into getting a NEW personal trainer.
    Good Luck on whatever you decide. Just get out of the starvation mode. 800 calories is not enough!
    Keep us informed and have a great day!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    well first, welcome to MFP! Don't be frustrated, we all have issues at one point in our journey.

This is my humble opinion on this topic.

First, 800 calories is too few, unless you live in the north pole, dress in all green and make toys all day, you're body's too big to support 800 calories.:wink:
    2nd, I say nix the nutritionist, there are no qualifications required by the government to call yourself one, and this one obviously isn't working if you've been with him/her for over a year with no results. If you want professional help, go see a Registered Dietitian, because they are required by law to pass a 2 year medical degree from an accredited school, AND required to keep that certification current. Not saying there aren't good nutritionists out there, there are, but finding one can be difficult, and sometimes what SOUNDS great, really is just a crock!

As to your status, tough for us to give you any advice without hearing your routine, exercise, calorie TYPE, and what your numbers are (height, weight, activity level, weekly goal, maintenance calories if they aren't what your height and weight would assume, and body fat %)

Well said Boss..I'm just going to 2nd everything he said and wish u luck!
    :flowerforyou:

I lost 27 pounds here by NOT working out (I work out now) and eating 1500 cals a day
    1200 wasn't enough FOR ME
    Please don't starve yourelf..if u eat enough....it will pay off

My only other though is, just to be sure..have u had b/w recently...check your thyroid/levels etc
    Kim
  • kalamantina
    Options
    thx lil monita ! :D ya i think im gonna switch to another nutritionist... she's just frustrating me to the point that i was thinking of giving up...

well exercise isnt my biggest point though.. i exercise about 3 times a week for 45 minutes...

i barely have time between work and studying.. :embarassed:

i guess i shud try to exercise i bit harder.. changing my nuritionist is my 2nd big step.. and consuming 1200 calories.. i usually take 1200 calories but i thought taking 800 calories wud be sort of like an ice breaker where i can lose like 3 or 4 pounds and it would get me motivated...

dont u guyz agree??
  • kalamantina
    Options
    well i weigh 183.6 and my goal weight is 132 lb. my height is 5.25 ft .... and my fat % is actually 41%.. which can't be good at all...

i usually take 1200 calories per day, mainly in 5 meals.. 50% carbs.. my nutritionist (soon to be x-nutritionist) adds about 2 sweet snacks per week.. like a small piece of cake , digestive cookie, 2 fingers of kitkat.. i exercise about 3 times a week for 45 min.. i dont have an active lifestyle in general, i work behind a desk and study or go out with my fiance ... (which means mostly just sitting down)...

my goal is to lose about 2.2 pounds per week.. and ive been trying for almost a year.. and its like a yoyo.. i end up right were i started.. all my total loss is barely 4 pounds..
  • lilmonita
    Options
    well i weigh 183.6 and my goal weight is 132 lb. my height is 5.25 ft .... and my fat % is actually 41%.. which can't be good at all...

i usually take 1200 calories per day, mainly in 5 meals.. 50% carbs.. my nutritionist (soon to be x-nutritionist) adds about 2 sweet snacks per week.. like a small piece of cake , digestive cookie, 2 fingers of kitkat.. i exercise about 3 times a week for 45 min.. i dont have an active lifestyle in general, i work behind a desk and study or go out with my fiance ... (which means mostly just sitting down)...

my goal is to lose about 2.2 pounds per week.. and ive been trying for almost a year.. and its like a yoyo.. i end up right were i started.. all my total loss is barely 4 pounds..

I understand the "yo-yo" effect entirely. Personally, I gained all my weight in college--got up to 220+ lbs. I thought "I don't have time to exercise. I'll just cut back on what I eat." It didn't work. I started compulsively exercising. Long story short, I had to find what worked for me. What didn't work for me was starving myself to the point of hospitialization, have to retrain my colon, get blood transfusions, etc.

If you're looking to "kick-start" your efforts, I would recommend cutting out all refined sugars for at least 7-14 days. Studies show that foods leave "trace amounts" in our blood streams--basically meaning if you eat it now, you're probably going to want to eat it again later. I know it's difficult, but at least for 1-2 weeks try to cut that all out. Replace it with fruits & veggies. You might just find at the end of the 14 days you're not even wanting sweets (in a perfect world, right?).

Good luck. Stay Strong,
    LilMonita :)
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ditto with all the stuff said above - get out of STARVATION! Sounds like you're starting to figure it out. I didn't know the difference between a Nutritionist and a Dietitian. I'd go with the one that has the Dietitian! Keep in mind there's probably a lot of variety among those folks as well.

Another factor could be homonal... when does your period kick in? Most of us gain weight and lose weight around that hormonal cycle.

I'm also a big fan of exercise... Yes, you can lose weight with only moderate exercise but you can have more fun (with food) if you work out a bit more. This doesn't mean you can chow down on a big bag of chips if you work out more it just gives you more flexibility. Suggestion: find something you LOVE! For me it was figure skating. Never put skates on my feet before the age of 35 but loved watching it on TV. Got in a class and it all clicked! It was no longer, "I guess I should go to the gym.... I haven't been in 3 days." :grumble: It became, "I haven't been skating in 3 DAYS! I really want to get on the ice!":love:

Try something crazy and see if you love it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has said the same thing- but dear, you are NOT eating enough. Follow the guidelines here at MFP- it works. There are a lot of successful ladies and gentlemen losing weight here...so hopefully that will encourage you.

DIET is a 4 letter word, and does not work. Eat your calories, and try to eat well, but don't beat yourself up if you don't do it perfectly every day. It's a forever thing- a lifestyle change.

Good luck. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    No, the last thing you want to do in the beginning is scare your body into holding onto every ounce of fat it can because it thinks you're starving.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ditto with all the stuff said above - get out of STARVATION! Sounds like you're starting to figure it out. I didn't know the difference between a Nutritionist and a Dietitian. I'd go with the one that has the Dietitian! Keep in mind there's probably a lot of variety among those folks as well.

In the US, 'nutritionist' is an unregulated term. Meaning anyone on this site could start calling themselves a nutritionist and be perfectly legal. A Registered Dietitian is a regulated term, meaning you can only call yourself a Registered Dietitian, or RD, if you have a 4 year bachelors degree in a specific area, ususally Human Nutrition, have done an internship in a variety of settings under the guidance of experienced dietitians and passed an exam at the end of the internship. Having said all that, there is a wide variety of expertise in dietitians, some do diabetes training, some work in pediatrics, some work in hospital kitchens doing management. Moral of the story, ask what someone's credentials are, especially if they go by the name nutritionist. I have know a few dietitians in my day, and not one would recommend an 800 calorie diet without a physicians supervision, and probably hospitalization. Ditch the nutritionist.
  • kalamantina
    Options
    Thanx u guyz... really cheered me up.. it helps to know there r people who have the same problem and its not just me.. i mean in my family im the only (overweight) sister.. and they never really understand what im talking about!!! they're all like ya i eat a bite of sth and im full.. or i can never finish a bar of chocolate.. and im like what r u talking about :grumble: i can finish 2 !! hehehe (i mean the old me can finish 2... even 3... :blushing: )

SO! i got an appointment thursday morning with a registered dietitian!! :flowerforyou:
    hopefully this will help me know whats right and wrong.. and maybe my body can get over this yo-yo weight thing! WISH ME LUCK!
    very excited to start.. trying to find an exercise i like ... gotta try sth new!

THANX :bigsmile: