What should I increase first?

Options
Which portion of my cardio workout should I increase first?

Frequency

Time/Distance

effort level/incline or resistance level

Speed

I have made it to the gym so far 4 times a week. I walk the treadmill for 32-64 minutes and ride a stationary bike for 32 - 64 switching it up and mix n match between bike and walking. Which of the above would be the best item to increase for a better workout?

Replies

• tarajeand
    tarajeand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you tried interval training? I hate just running on a treadmill, so I like to walk for a minute (3.5mph), then run for a minute (6-8). You can do the running part for a shorter time until you get used to it. One of my aerobics instructors said this is the best way to burn calories and fat (by getting your heart rate up and back down).
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with intervals on the treadmill. I walk at 4.0 for a minute, then run between 8 and 9 for 30 - 45 seconds; repeat. My personal trainer recommends it. Also, I would add strength training in place of some of the cardio, you will prevent muscle from being burned and increase your metabolism; it also increases your caloric burn for a while after you stop, longer than what you would get from cardio.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I should have mentioned I am not really ready for interval training yet. Due to being overweight and 20 years of running in the military have caused a bit of havoc on my back knees and feet, had knee and foot surgery right before I retired. I am doing good to just be able to walk at some speed on the treadmill right now. I'll be ready in a bit,but thats one of the reasons I was asking. Which do I start to increase and which would give me the best result for the effort. I would love to be able to run 6 miles like I used to. That's going to take some time though.
  • lodogz
    lodogz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm on a treadmill every other day for 65 minutes. I walk at 3.5 and every quarter of a mile I jog for 1 or 2 minutes.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If that is the case, than what I can tell you is that my trainer has me walk on the treadmill after our PT sessions at an incline of about 3.5 or 4, and a moderate pace of about 3.5 mph. Hope that helps, and good luck to you!!!
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    you can do intervals of incline. That's how I started. listen to an mp3 player and everytime the song changes increase your incline by 5% once you're halfway start reducing your incline.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Which portion of my cardio workout should I increase first?

Frequency

Time/Distance

effort level/incline or resistance level

Speed

I have made it to the gym so far 4 times a week. I walk the treadmill for 32-64 minutes and ride a stationary bike for 32 - 64 switching it up and mix n match between bike and walking. Which of the above would be the best item to increase for a better workout?
    Is this for conditioning or fat loss?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Cut cardio to once a week and Intermittent Fast!
    Its better on your knees!
  • has001
    has001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You could also try the elliptical... it has very minimal impact on the knees, you can do intervals on it, and it burns way more calories! I was very afraid of the elliptical about 2 months ago, but now it's like my best friend! Hope you find something that works for you! And just keep pushing through!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I would try and change up the intensity first. On the treadmill maybe add in some hills/inclines. You can do intervals with just walking too. For the bike, can you add more resistance? I wouldn't add more length to your workouts, just more intensity.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    you can do intervals of incline. That's how I started. listen to an mp3 player and everytime the song changes increase your incline by 5% once you're halfway start reducing your incline.
    Love this idea!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would go with time. I started with speed and wore myself out and got stuck at the time I was running - couldn't run longer, just harder/faster. So I started doing hiit : I walk 3 minutes & 30 seconds at 3.5 at a 1% incline on the treadmill for a warm up, then I run at 5.5 for 1 1/2 minutes, then I run at 7.0 for 30 seconds, then back down to 5.5 for 1 minute, then down to 3.5 for 2 minutes, and repeat.

I started with 3 minute warm up, 1 minute 5.5, 30 seconds 7.0, 1 minute 5.5, 2 minutes 3.5 ... I've now increased 30 seconds on my running and hope to be running 1:30 on 5.5 for both 5.5 intervals. I want to eventually be able to run 2-3 miles nonstop, which I could do a couple years ago.

You could try Couch to 5K. Personally, it didn't work for me because I couldn't set my own pace... I don't like going by something someone else put together. My body just doesn't like the way they increase your running, decrease your walking and how quickly. My body couldn't do it fast enough & I would get frustrated when I couldn't finish all the intervals.