Bikes?

Options
Hey I am thinking of buying a bike for riding to work, school, store, etc.

Can anybody recommend any brands. I don't want to spend 1000$ but I don't like the cheap ones that sell at target and walmart. they seem to be to small for me.

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I got a scwinn from target. I like scwinn. But that may be one u dont like cause its from target. Its a beach cruiser tho.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop and tell the guys there what you want to do. They'll point you in the right direction, get you measure and get the seat/handlebars/etc adjusted for you. They should let you test ride it as well.

The cheapest bike shop bike is FAR superior to the most expensive "walmart/target" bike.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I got a Marin Portofino road bike from REI on clearance for a little over $600 (last year's model). I've got about 800 miles on it so far and couldn't be happier with it.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Try REI. They are closing out last years stuff, you can probably pick up a good starter or middle of the road bile for under $1000.

Too bad your not a short girl in CA... I'm thinking about selling mine and upgrading to a Trek.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I got a Marin Portofino road bike from REI on clearance for a little over $600 (last year's model). I've got about 800 miles on it so far and couldn't be happier with it.

Agree about the happy with an REI bike part
  • chelliebean007
    chelliebean007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree. A good bike store will help you focus on your needs... You won't get that at a big box store. A good bike is round $300-$500, and should last a really long time. You can always spend thousands when you've discovered you want to bike more than you want to breathe. (or do extensive biking like long distances)
  • oh_mg
    oh_mg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Junyr is right - a good bike from a shop beats the best bike from Wal-Mart or Target - not only the quality and selection, but sometimes with follow-up service. My local bike shop does free bike check-ups - especially tire pressure and brake readjustment - for life on bikes purchased there. If there's a bike shop near you, I'd go in and explain your price range and what you're looking for to the clerk. That's what I did, and they knew a ton about bikes and helped me find the perfect one, a Raleigh Venture - lovely little black hybrid bike. It only cost about $300 (plus $50 for thicker tires because there are a lot of thorny trees on the local bike paths). It was a mens bike, so they swapped a ladies seat on it for no extra charge!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I bought a Giant, for around $700, in 2006. It wasn't cheap but I've logged thousands of miles and hundreds of hours of entertainment on it. Heck, we even build vacations around riding now.

I would highly suggest visiting a bike shop. They'll make sure the bike fits. I ended up with a road bike that has higher handlebars (so I don't have to ride crunched down). I had them put tires on it that can hold up to the trails I ride, but are also appropriate for the road.

Another plus about a bike shop is they tend to do the warranty work, maintenance, etc... Many offer free clinics on basic maintenance, changing a tire, etc... No offense, but if you buy at Target or Wal Mart you don't get any support down the road if there are problems. If you're mechanical and love to tinker that might be okay, though. Just something to consider.
  • trmecham
    Options
    If you're serious or committed about riding, build a relationship with a bike shop. Superior equipment and knowledge. The first question they will ask is what, where and how you will be riding.
  • azilana76
    azilana76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought a Trek Navigator 3.0, and it's my first bike as an adult. I am 35. So it's been a while. It's a great bike for me. I went to a bike shop and test drove several bikes before settling on that one. I am very short so the bike had to fit me.
    I suggest going to a bike shop. And i paid about 500 for it. Not bad.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    ...No offense, but if you buy at Target or Wal Mart you don't get any support down the road if there are problems. If you're mechanical and love to tinker that might be okay, though. Just something to consider.

Get the better bike and spend the time riding it as opposed to making repairs.