Low Resting Heart Rate

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone I use to check it twice a week before getting out of bed. It ranges anywhere from 48 to 53. I'm 5'6" and weigh 196, but I work out 5-6 days a week.

How does that work? Is it an i-phone app?
  • rensker
    rensker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine is typically in the low 40's during the day (I can never remember to check it as soon as I wake up). It used to be in the high 30's back when I did cardio 7 days a week. Now I mostly just do strength training 3x/week but it hasn't gone up much.
    It did worry me, I'm glad to know there are so many others who have the same!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My RHR is low as well....... typically around 42. Before I lost weight, it was in the high 50's / low 60's. I was concerned about it... because my dad has had some valve issues, so I got checked out. I had an ECHO performed (ultrasound of the heart), wore a holster monitor for 24 hours (heart ranged from 31-76 during that time), and had a stress test. My Cardiologist basically said all is OK. There are a few minor things she wants to keep tabs on annually (mostly because of family history), but all in all I'm OK. I do get lightheaded sometimes when I get up too fast, but that is minor.

I am 47, 159lbs and 5' 6". I now run 3-4 times a week for exercise!

The term for a RHR consistently below 60 is called Bradycardia
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mine hovers around 53-58
  • jsnearly
    Options
    Some people have a lower vascular resistance and better cardiac output than others. Your heart doesn't have to pump as many times to keep your blood pressure up. Having a low heart rate in the higher 40's and up is okay as long as you can maintain your blood pressue with it. If your heart rate was in the 30's then I would be suspicious for some type of heart block.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    mine's super low, too! every time i give blood they ask me if i'm an athlete. i've also almost been turned down for giving blood because they thought it was too low and might be erratic. they quickly got over that :)
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    the more you workout doing cardio routines especially running your resting heart rate will always be lower than 50! i strive to maintain a lower heart rate, used to run but now i cycle. it's not easy keeping it low but i feel so much better when i achieve this goal. Keep up the good work if in fact you are exercising! :smile:
  • GoodbyeFatChick
    GoodbyeFatChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is around 42 or so, I take a beta blocker because I was born with heart problems. I had 2 heart surgeries. So I will never be able to get my heart rate up to the cardio zone that it needs to be in. I have a polar HRM and it always tells me that I need to work more in Zone 2 but, I never get there...ever. But, it's okay I work out hard and I know there are others out there like me as well.
  • Opheliac_Xx
    Opheliac_Xx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 47, even since I stopped doing cardio workouts... Guess it's just genetic?
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's a while since I have taken it, but the last few times I have it has been under 50. It's good because it means I'm fit, but it's bad because it's a lot harder to burn cals!!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I actually just asked a cardiologist about this a couple days ago. My RHR is also low (54-57) and I do quite a bit of high-intensity cardio. But I have noticed many times while sitting still for periods of time (also surfing the web, LOL, or watching TV) that my HR drops to between 40-44. I asked him if it was something I needed to worry about and he said it is called the Vagal Tone and is a nervous system reflex that slows the pulse down (particularly after eating/drinking something cold or eating a large meal.) He said it is one of the reasons "people fall asleep after Thanksgiving dinners!" Hope this helps!

11899014.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • pokeelyy
    pokeelyy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My rhr is real low, it's like 42 bpm. My normal heart rate like, during the day, is usually between 48 and 54 bpm.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate can be influenced by a number of things: Blood pressure, oxygen concentration, blood sugar, etc. Usually, it's influenced most by oxygen concentration (i.e. how much oxygen your individual blood cells are carrying at any given time), and that's actually genetically influenced a lot of the time. Some people have excellent blood oxygen concentration, because their marrow just produces a lot of red blood cells and keeps the levels high. Living in areas of high altitude often contribute to lower resting heart rate, because your body adjusts to the lower oxygen in the atmosphere by producing more cells to keep levels right.

Mine is usually around 60-70, which is pretty average.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You could have a condition called bradycardia.

Take a look at the following page:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bradycardia/DS00947

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Bradycardia is defined as a slower than normal heart rate. The heart usually beats between 60 and 100 times a minute in an adult at rest. If you have bradycardia (brad-e-KAHR-de-uh), your heart beats fewer than 60 times minute. Bradycardia can be a serious problem if the heart doesn't pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body. For some people, however, bradycardia doesn't cause symptoms or complications."

I am not sure if bradycardia is defined as having a RHR under 60 or if that is just a symptom of it. I noticed that I have a RHR of 50 (it has been as low as 40, it was 42 this afternoon at noon) and I am no elite athlete. I first noticed it about 6 months ago when I started regularly tracking my BP. I decided to ask my doctor about it. He ran an EKG and said that I have a normal sinus rhythm bradycardia and that I should not worry about it unless I experience dizziness or lightheadedness. I would not be overly worried about it but I would see my doctor about it if I were you because there can be underlying causes that are deadly and in those cases you could need a pacemaker. I think those situations are rare but I figure we should be overly cautious when it comes to the the heart.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My RHR is about 45-50
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    We have the same stats (height, weight and age)... my RHR is very low. I take it upon waking (without an alarm clock - natural waking) usually a couple times a month.

My average? 41-44.

I've had an EKG and they said everything is "text book perfect". I've had blood work done and everything comes back "excellent" or "perfect". Their conclusion? I just have a low resting heart rate and considering I have low blood pressure (and always have - even when I was overweight)... they have concluded it is just "my normal".
  • mariamikulich
    Options
    I have always had a low resting heart rate (45-47) even before adopting running and cycling. My mother ran low also. So I do believe there is some genetics involved. I wear a HRM when I do workouts indoors at a health club and I can get it quite high (160-170) and it does not take long to get it down to a normal rate when I slow down, so my heart is in really good shape especially for my age (64). I was involved in a sleep study for over a year where a blood draw and ekg was given every month, so I know that there are no heart issues. Be thankful that you have a low resting heart rate. I am.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've always had a low RHR. Even right now, as I'm getting ready to go out for a run, I have my HRM on, and it's reading me at 49-50bpm. I get up to 170 during a run or cardio session.
    I also have pretty low blood pressure - 90/70. I'm no athlete, that's for sure. I just started working out last year after taking 14 years off from any exercise! I also get really dizzy if I stand up too quick.
    On top of all that, I've got super low iron levels. My ferritin is only 10, and it technically should be over 60. This causes fatigue and unfortunately hair loss. :ohwell:

Seems I'm just all around low!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    IMO its genetic. My father has had 4 heart attacks and has a low hr and low bp. Im a runner and mine was 37 when I had surgery last summer. I'd not worry.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My heart rate also runs 45-48 consistently at rest. Sometimes the docs have trouble getting my pulse. I'm not an athlete; never was. Just lucky, I think. But I've had docs over the years do some diagnostics, ECG, stress echo, etc. and there has never been anything wrong and I never have symptoms. I'm 57 years old and it's been this way for at least 20 years. :smile: