Lemon Meringue Cookies - 31 Calories per sandwich

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
5573069507_9962ab6512_z.jpg
The recipe is from this website, and if you like Lemon Meringue pie, you will probably like these. I thought they were awesome!
Link: - http://joythebaker.com/2011/03/lemon-meringue-cookies/

Ours didn't turn out quite as pretty...we couldnt seem to get the egg whites stiff enough, so ours was more blobby. :indifferent:

Cookie1of2.jpg

And even though the sandwiches are cute, it was much easier to eat one side at a time. :laugh: (Also means only 15 calories per cookie!)

Cookie2of2.jpg

Meringue Cookie Only - We got 60 Cookies (I think her website she says 50). They are a little bit bigger than a quarter.
Facts per cookie - Cookie only - no filling
Calories: 5..........Carbs: 1..........Fiber: 0..........Fat: 0
..........Protein: ..........Sugar: 1..........Sodium: 2

2 large egg whites
2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest - (We used closer to 1 tbsp)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place two racks in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Foil will also work in a pinch. Set the baking pans aside.

Place the egg whites (save the yolks for the curd) in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat egg whites, on medium speed, until foamy. Add the pinch of salt and increase speed to medium-high. Slowly begin to sprinkle in the sugar. Continue to beat eggs until they become thick, glossy and hold stiff peeks. The egg whites will be the consistency of melted marshmallow.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the lemon zest and vanilla extract. Spoon into a piping bag, fitted with a large star tip. Pipe about a teaspoons worth of meringue onto the baking sheet. Stars can be close together, as they won’t spread or puff during baking. Pipe stars onto the two baking sheets until no meringue remains in the bag. Using the back of a spoon, flatten out half of the meringue stars, making them as flat as possible, but not necessarily a larger circle than the original piped star. The flattened star will become the bottom of the sandwich cookie.

Bake meringues for 2 hours, until no longer sticky , but firm and hardened.

Facts for Curd Only - Makes 60 servings of 7 grams (about tsp) - We put 3-4 grams on the halves..7 was actually a lot.
Calories: 21..........Carbs: 2..........Fiber: 0..........Fat: 1
..........Protein: 1..........Sugar: 2..........Sodium: 2

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
6 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl and set aside.

In a medium pot, whisk together lemon juice, granulated sugar, eggs, yolks, and pinch of salt. Place the pot over a medium-low flame and add butter. Stir mixture with a whisk, and spatula. The spatula will help you get into the corners of the pan, ensuring that none of the curd over-cooks too much. Cook the curd until the butter is melted, and the mixture is the thickness of warm hot fudge. The whisk will begin to leave a trail of whisk marks and the mixture will have the distinct smell of lemon curd. You don’t really need to boil lemon curd… it’s probably done it if gets to the boiling stage.

Remove from the flame and immediately pour into the fine mesh strainer over the medium bowl. Press through the strainer, leaving any cooked egg bits in the strainer, and not in your beautiful curd.

Place curd in a jar, with a piece of plastic wrap placed directly over the curd. Place in the fridge until completely cold.

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Those look yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I could eat a whole batch of these, but then again, I love lemon flavored anything.
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • suzywatson
    Options
    yummy!!! Thanks for such a delicious treat recipie. Yours look great too. :smile:
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arynemaynard
    Options
    This sounds really good. I don't know if you did this but, leaving the egg whites out until they are room temperature allows them to stiffen up better when beaten. I also tend to use a hand mixer to beat egg whites because it goes at a higher speed and allows you to move through the mixture better. I think I will have to make these for my husband, he loves lemon meringue pies so this will be great! Thanks for posting!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    This sounds really good. I don't know if you did this but, leaving the egg whites out until they are room temperature allows them to stiffen up better when beaten. I also tend to use a hand mixer to beat egg whites because it goes at a higher speed and allows you to move through the mixture better. I think I will have to make these for my husband, he loves lemon meringue pies so this will be great! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the tip!