sugar from fruit

Options
13»

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you are borderline diabetic, you should eat no fruit, no sweets, etc.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    If you are borderline diabetic, you should eat no fruit, no sweets, etc.

Please don't post garbage like this. Thanks.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would say stay away from fruit with a high GI index. Fructose is still sugar, and if you're borderline diabetic you do want to keep your insulin under control, lows and highs are when damage is done. Stick to fruit with a low glycemic index - such as strawberries, cherries, blueberries, apples (they are quite high in sugar but the fibre makes up for it) and stay way clear of fruit like pineapple, bananas, watermelon, mango etc. Pears are medium and so are plums I think.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I believe the best advice would be from your doctor because every body is different.

That being said, eating fruit won't give you the same insulin response as eating a snickers bar! My grandmother's doctor tells her to eat all the fruit she wants instead of the sweet junk, so she did. She is no longer borderline diabetic... BUT do not do this without speaking to your doctor, because there could have been other factors. If you are going to eat something sweet, fruit is your best choice, but only your doctor will know what is best for you <3

also, congrats on your loss! You are doing great!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is usually combined with fiber which slows down the insulin secretion that tells us to store fats. As other posters have suggested it is the processed sugars that causes problems. You might print out a couple of weeks of your food diary along with your blood sugars for those days and discuss them with your doctor or a nutritionist. Good luck.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Eat fruits with a low sugar load - blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Not only are they low in sugar, they have numerous vitamins and antioxidants that benefit the body greatly. I buy frozen packs of berries, put them in a container in my lunch bag, and they're thawed by lunchtime and perfect to eat as my sweet snack. Eat fruits with higher sugar loads - apples. oranges, bananas, etc. only occasionally.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    cupcakes are so disguisting. I wouldnt eat one for 10$. maybe for 20$ id eat one.

Those sweets cause too much diabetes in north america. I am surprised corporations still make sweet foods even they know it hurts alot of people.

Sweets are fine. People sitting on their *kitten* all day watching Glee and American Idol isn't fine. Candy was common place all through the baby boomer generation growing up. The difference was that they were on their bikes or running all day long, playing outside, working in the garden, etc. Now it's sitting in a car in traffic, sitting in an office, sitting in a car in traffic again and then sitting in front of the tv watching crappy reality TV before bed.

Also, corporations make cupcakes because people buy them. People buy them because they taste good. Once in awhile I'll buy them and I'm very healthy. Hopefully, these corporations continue to make them so I can enjoy them from time to time.

I agree candy has been around for a very long time, but it was also made differently back then (with whole ingredients, not chemicals that are near impossible to pronounce). Our bodies are not made to process all these preservatives that are added to food.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Some other great, low sugar or non sugar snacks: hard boiled eggs, nuts, string cheese, any vegetables like baby carrots or celary sticks.

And stay far, far away from any dried fruit.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my own personal experience. I, too, am considered borderline diabetic. In the last year my A1C results have fluctuated between 5.0 and 7.1 (with anything over 6 being of concern). It's good to know this number, especially if you are being tested every three months.

My last doctor's visit, he recommended I try South Beach. I am not advocating this plan here, but do find that the information about effects of fruit on insulin levels to be very helpful. I went through the rather painful two-week phase 1, with no fruit or grains at all, and am now eating only one serving of fruit each day. So far I've lost almost 19 pounds (since Jan. 20), which is very fast for me, but I can tell an enormous difference in how my body feels now that I am keeping a much closer eye on my overall carb balance.

Where I once would turn to eating an orange for a snack, I now choose string cheese or whole unsalted cashews. I'm also a big fan of Barney butter, which is an almond butter that's gluten free as well. If I eat an apple, I try to pair it with the nut butter.

Everyone has their own point of view about this kind of thing. With me, the conversation started with my doctor and me making an internal decision to follow his advice, even though I was very resistant to his South Beach recommendation. In the end, I'm glad I listened, but this is a lifelong struggle for me. You have to figure out what works best for you.